How does one defend the Church's stance on marriage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Holly3278
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Holly3278

Guest
Hey everyone. How does one defend the Church’s stance on marriage to people who have a vastly different view of marriage than that of the Church? For example, my best friend is for gay marriage. Actually, a few of my friends are. How do I defend the Church’s stance on marriage? I really have no idea how to do this. I know that gay marriage is wrong and unnatural and everything but when I tell people that gay marriage is wrong and they ask why, I tell them that it is wrong because the Catholic Church says so. That is about all I can say. Unfortunately, when I do so, many people tell me that they reject the authority of the Catholic Church. So, are there other ways of defending the Catholic Church’s stance on marriage?
 
Okay, so many of my fellow Catholic’s are going to disagree with me on this. BUT I’m totally for gay marrige, ON A LEGAL LEVEL!! In the midst of G-D, I’m the opposite, marrige is between a man and a woman with hopes and perhaps, mission, to create a baby/babies that will carry on the message of Christ. lawful and divine marrige are seperate in my opinion. The act of homosexual sex is always a Sin in the CC, but the orientation is not. Often times people(i.e. those mixing politics with religion) equate America’s legal definition of marrige with that of the bible, which it is not!

If two homosexuals can care for a child or a number of children while remaining in accordance of the Will of G-D, then so be it. Although when certain proty denominations say they may marrry gays in the name of God if they were legally alllowed to, I get suspicious.

Homesexuality is NOT EVIL. Homosexual sex, as of now, is. In all honesty, I hate this teaching. I know many homosexuals that I do not doubt participate in homosexual acts. They’re decent, kind, loving people, but I know this aspect of their lives condemns them to sin, and therefore, hell. Honestly this seems unfair to me, but I must trust the teachings of the Church, it’s my duty as a Catholic. Maybe this will change in the future.
 
You are a heretic if you do not hold the same religious beliefs as of the Church. Homosexuality is wrong, and to be a practicing homosexual is very sinful. Coming from a person with slight SSA. (Well used to anyway. I don’t have it anymore.)
 
One defends the Church’s stance on marriage by getting one’s friends to observe simple human nature! The sexual faculty is designed specifically that the male genitive anatomy perfectly fits the female genitive anatomy. If a screw fits perfectly into a nut, why would you try to fit it into a bolt? The primary attraction of a man is to a woman, and the primary attraction of a woman is to a man. Anomalies sprout up all the time: paedophilia, homosexuality, bestiality, and on and on. Bestial-fetishists are not necessarily evil people, just warped. Remember that the primary state of all things created by God is good, and vices result only from warping that which is good. God does not make evil things.

Deep down, we are all meant for union. If your friends love gay marriage, it is likely that they are very happy-go-lucky types that just want everyone to be ‘free to love’, or whatever rubbish the excuse is. If they really want freedom to love, though, they should look at what God did for us. In creating humanity, God freely gave of His own power to create sentient beings that could share His perfect joy and majestic glory; in other words, He did not need to create us, but did so purely in love. I believe (with St. Bonaventure) that God would have become man even had the Fall not happened: simply to marry divinity to humanity and confirm us forever as God-made beings.

Since man is made in God’s image, and woman ‘from his rib’ (that is: to support his heart and bring him to true united love with the other), then logically we must try our best to act like God: in virtue and self-giving love. The only way to do that is to give yourself totally in the holy contract of matrimony, whereby both souls give up their very individuality for one another. This is far, far beyond the unity of mere physical consummation.

Sex-outside-marriage between a male and a female still fits the anatomical requirements, but it is lacking in mystical consummation. It is a form of grave irresponsibility. Having recourse to fornication is simply juvenile, immature, and centered in the present moment rather than right planning for the future. When you commit this act with someone you aren’t married to, it’s like trading money for drugs under the table. It’s just not right, and people sense this even when they do it and enjoy it.
 
Okay, so many of my fellow Catholic’s are going to disagree with me on this. BUT I’m totally for gay marrige, ON A LEGAL LEVEL!! In the midst of G-D, I’m the opposite, marrige is between a man and a woman with hopes and perhaps, mission, to create a baby/babies that will carry on the message of Christ. lawful and divine marrige are seperate in my opinion. The act of homosexual sex is always a Sin in the CC, but the orientation is not. Often times people(i.e. those mixing politics with religion) equate America’s legal definition of marrige with that of the bible, which it is not!

If two homosexuals can care for a child or a number of children while remaining in accordance of the Will of G-D, then so be it. Although when certain proty denominations say they may marrry gays in the name of God if they were legally alllowed to, I get suspicious.

Homesexuality is NOT EVIL. Homosexual sex, as of now, is. In all honesty, I hate this teaching. I know many homosexuals that I do not doubt participate in homosexual acts. They’re decent, kind, loving people, but I know this aspect of their lives condemns them to sin, and therefore, hell. Honestly this seems unfair to me, but I must trust the teachings of the Church, it’s my duty as a Catholic. Maybe this will change in the future.
The Catholic Church teaches that we are never do evil in order to try to bring some perceived good out of it. Even if the homosexual “couple” were to abstain from sex, they would be giving scandal to others who would logically assume they were having sex.

Satan has been a liar from the beginning, and a murderer. The big lie with “gay” people in our culture is that this is an “identification” of “who they are” vs. a sinful lifestyle. They would have us believe that “gay” is like being female or male. It is not. It is a grave disorder, like pedophilia or schizophrenia or any other disorder. There is absolutely nothing “normal” about it. Homosexual acts go against the natural order. We have to call it what it is and not try to somehow “normalize” it in the minds of the public like those in the national media and Hollywood have been trying to do in order to rationalize their perverse tendencies.
 
Okay, so many of my fellow Catholic’s are going to disagree with me on this. BUT I’m totally for gay marrige, ON A LEGAL LEVEL!! In the midst of G-D, I’m the opposite, marrige is between a man and a woman with hopes and perhaps, mission, to create a baby/babies that will carry on the message of Christ. lawful and divine marrige are seperate in my opinion. The act of homosexual sex is always a Sin in the CC, but the orientation is not. Often times people(i.e. those mixing politics with religion) equate America’s legal definition of marrige with that of the bible, which it is not!
As a true catholic, I believe in the teaching authority of the church and in the word of God. I will not be a cafeteria Catholic. Therefore, I cannot condone an immoral act either publicly or privately that goes against the doctrines set forth by the Church founded by Jesus Christ. By not opposing any civil law that promotes same sex marriages, abortion, or euthanasia, embryo stem cell research etc… I would be cooperating indirectly in encouraging that sin and therefore becoming guilty of sin through association. It’s like being personally against killing people with red hair but permitting a law to be passed that allows the killing of red haired people. We as Catholics need to stand up and fight for what God has taught us is moral and just. How many Germans allowed the creation of immoral laws and actions in the 1920’s & 1930’s that led to the killing of millions of innocent people and World War II? How many atrocities have been committed because people refused to uphold their moral standards when it became unpopular, dangerous or politically incorrect to do so and then justified their actions by thinking – It’s ok as long as I’m not doing it - I’ll be fine with God because it was a civil law and not a spiritual one?

I find this passages very telling:

Luke 17: 1-3
He said to his disciples, "Things that cause sin will inevitably occur, but woe to the person through whom they occur. It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck and he be thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

Matthew 10: 14-16, 22
Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words–go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet. Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. "Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and simple as doves. ……You will be hated by all because of my name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved.
 
Hey everyone. How does one defend the Church’s stance on marriage to people who have a vastly different view of marriage than that of the Church? For example, my best friend is for gay marriage. Actually, a few of my friends are. How do I defend the Church’s stance on marriage? I really have no idea how to do this. I know that gay marriage is wrong and unnatural and everything but when I tell people that gay marriage is wrong and they ask why, I tell them that it is wrong because the Catholic Church says so. That is about all I can say. Unfortunately, when I do so, many people tell me that they reject the authority of the Catholic Church. So, are there other ways of defending the Catholic Church’s stance on marriage?
The Church’s teaching on marriage are quite accurate, and very sound. The Church is not against homosexuals and never has been. In the true sense of the word marriage, gay marriage does not exist. In the legal sense of the word gay marriage can exist, however we must always remember that is simply a legal document. At the core of catholic teaching is the concept that woman was made for man and thus they fit together in a special way. SSA is a tough burden to bear. SSA relationships simply cannot achieve the unity designed by god. By no means is the church against SSA, the church teaches they are to be respected and held to the same sexual standards as everyone else.
 
Hey everyone. How does one defend the Church’s stance on marriage to people who have a vastly different view of marriage than that of the Church?
Holly, the church teaches that homosexual acts are a grave sin because it involves an unnatural violation of natural law. (CCC1951-1958, 1975-1976). By breaking this law we disregard our human design, misuse our sexuality and defy our procreative abilities. Here are some bible references: Gen 19: 1-14, Lev 18:19-30, 1 Cor 6: 9-10, & 1 Tim 1:10-11.

If we comprise any of our moral values, we risk our right to live according to our conscience & we endanger our ability to live freely according to God’s will. This is evident with similar moral issues concerning contraceptives, euthanasia & abortion. In many states, pharmacist who are opposed to the use of contraceptives especially abortive ones are being forced to stock & sell them or lose their job or business. Various regulations created to protect the moral beliefs of doctors and health care workers have been revoked and now many outstanding professionals are possibly at risk of losing their careers & licenses if they refuse to talk about suicide as an option to treatment or perform procedures that go against their conscience. At present, pro-life women centers are being pressured into providing information on abortion & children in public schools are being obligated to participate in sex education classes with little or no substantial information regarding chastity. In addition, many parents are denied the right to know or have a say if their underage child is using contraceptives or getting an abortion. Legalizing SSM would open the door to many new restrictions that would limit Catholics from practicing their faith. Already Catholics adoption agencies have been forced to close because they are being coerced into placing children with SS couples. Will catholic judges be forced to marry SS couples against his conscience? Will hotel owners be force to rent rooms to SS couples (or even unwed heterosexual couples) if they believe in the sanctity of marriage as taught by the church. Will Catholic schools be obligated to higher openly gay and sexually active teachers? What other legal problems & moral dilemmas will we have to endure because Catholics didn’t initially stand up for what was right?

Another reason to reject SSM is to halt the growth of a culture that promotes and encourages homosexual acts. There are people who affirm they experience SSA due to their genetic make-up and as a result carry a big cross throughout their life. They, like all people regardless of their sexual orientation should be treated with love, dignity and respect and given the support they need to help them live chaste lives according to the will of God. However, there are people who participle in homosexual acts by choice due to psychological issues & traumas, sexual experimentation, boredom, peer pressure, thrills, curiosity, etc… By accepting SS relationships we further cultivate an environment where heterosexuals are encouraged to think of SS attraction as being desirable, cool and healthy to the point that they might be willing to engage in such acts out of some erroneous need. The media & entertainment industry has for years bombarded us with false images and information that promotes this ideology. They give us sympathetic, comical and endearing characters that make SSA appear so common and natural that anyone who speaks against it must be homophobic, uptight, self-righteous, cruel, and politically incorrect.

Finally, history is cluttered with people with little or no morals that have always tried to push the envelope and get away with committing any or all immoral acts by making them appear very attractive or normal. Once SSM advocates get their way, I wonder what new immoral issue they will try to push next and make it look acceptable: redefining marriage to include a relationship between a person and an animal, legalized child pornography or pedophilia, legalization of all narcotics for personal entertainment, etc…).

These were just a few of the basic reasons I believe it is important to uphold all the moral teachings of the Catholic Church. When confronted with situations like this we have to look toward the future and decide what kind of world we want our children to grow up in. Let’s pray that we have the strength and wisdom to fight the good fight day in and day out.
 
Homesexuality is NOT EVIL. Homosexual sex, as of now, is. In all honesty, I hate this teaching. I know many homosexuals that I do not doubt participate in homosexual acts. They’re decent, kind, loving people, but I know this aspect of their lives condemns them to sin, and therefore, hell. Honestly this seems unfair to me, but I must trust the teachings of the Church, it’s my duty as a Catholic. Maybe this will change in the future.
Blankface,

I just noticed that you wrote seeking Catholic for your religion. I don’t know if it means you are a Catholic that is seeking information or a person seeking discernment about becoming Catholic. Either way, I would like to make 2 additional comments about your post.

First, I know this subject is hard to accept especially when we know or have a personal connection with a kind and loving individual that deals with SSA. However, if they are having homosexual sex they are committing grave sin. Just like any other heterosexual person having sex outside of marriage. Just because a person is nice does not mean they are free of serious sin. I know many heterosexual people who are very friendly and loving but are living in grave sin because they are cohabitating, divorced and remarried without an annulment, committing adultery, using artificial contraceptive, had an abortion, receive communion while in mortal sin and the list goes on. If we are truly concerned for these loving people, we need to help them find their way back to God by either praying for them and/or when appropriate talking to them about God and his will. I remember someone saying you don’t get into heaven by just being good but by accepting Jesus and making his will ours.

Second, the Catholic Church will never ever change any of the doctrines or dogmas it teaches. The church can change disciplines like priestly celibacy, the liturgy for the mass, holy days of obligation, etc… but not its teachings on homosexual practices. It won’t or can’t change it because it is part of the deposit of faith entrusted to the church by Jesus and the apostles. That is why I love the Catholic Church so much. It is not wishy-washy. It doesn’t cave into cultural or society pressures. It stays faithful because Jesus promised the gates of hell would not prevail against it. Many protestant churches have given into the pressures of society and allowed the use of contraceptives, divorce, abortion, homosexual marriage and much more. Christianity is not to be shaped by society, Christianity should shape society.
 
Here is a link to a very short and quite readable document signed by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (when he was head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith). It addresses succinctly some of the reasons for the Church’s opposition to homosexual marriage.

It seems to me that one defends the Church’s teaching by simply observing that homosexual marriage is not even possible, since there can be no marital relations between individuals of the same sex. And marital relations are of the essence of marriage.
 
Hey everyone. How does one defend the Church’s stance on marriage to people who have a vastly different view of marriage than that of the Church? For example, my best friend is for gay marriage. Actually, a few of my friends are. How do I defend the Church’s stance on marriage? I really have no idea how to do this. I know that gay marriage is wrong and unnatural and everything but when I tell people that gay marriage is wrong and they ask why, I tell them that it is wrong because the Catholic Church says so. That is about all I can say. Unfortunately, when I do so, many people tell me that they reject the authority of the Catholic Church. So, are there other ways of defending the Catholic Church’s stance on marriage?
As you can see from the above quotes, there is not much to say past your religious views.

You specifically asked how to explain this without reverence to the authority of the Church (and presumably God), yet most of these responses are direct religious calls to authority, even quoting the Bible and Church documents. 🤷 I think it is so ingrained as an institution created by and for God that many (most) anti SSM are completely unable to separate the two. So, using these lines of reasoning will fall very flat indeed.

You can try to go down the lines of:
Damage to straight marriage or the institution
Damage to society
Damage to children
The “Definition of Marriage” defense

Or some of the other standard ways to NOT use religion as basis of law. They don’t seem to be very persuasive to those not already opposed to SSM. Usually because the evidence is pretty lacking, and if there IS evidence, it comes from a religious source, which immediately undermines any credibility…

Good Luck!
 
I should note that part III of the linked document that I posted from Cardinal Ratzinger is titled “Arguments from Reason Against Legal Recognition of Homosexual Unions.”

That fact that homosexual marriage can even be considered as possible is evidence in itself of the great loss of reason that has overtaken much of western civilization. We think that we can order the world as we like, calling contradictory things by the same name, arbitrarily, and without reference to the nature of things.

It is self-evident that man and woman are complementary sexually, and only opposite sex couples are even capable of marital relations. Or, at least, it was self-evident from the dawn of civilization, but is no longer, given the blindness that has lately overcome us. And only opposite sex couples can together in a unifying and procreative act engender new life, new members of the species who will be supported, as nature intends by a mother and a father.

Marriage has been recently distorted by many evils–contraception, divorce, extramarital and premarital sex. Yet none of those so completely overturns the natural state of marriage as the attempt to call same sex coupling by the same name. It simply robs the term marriage of any meaning whatever, and to that extent, lessens real marriage by giving it a name which has been emptied of value.

And the institution, having been emptied of value, will tend to become more and more discarded, with children conceived and born into a hodge-podge of situations which are less than what we owe them. It is no small matter to put the final nail into the coffin of marriage.

Marriage is and has been the foundation of society. When the foundation is destroyed, the structure crumbles.
 
You are a heretic if you do not hold the same religious beliefs as of the Church. Homosexuality is wrong, and to be a practicing homosexual is very sinful. Coming from a person with slight SSA. (Well used to anyway. I don’t have it anymore.)
You missed the point of my post as well as mistated the teachings of the Church. The homosexual orientation is NOT a sin, only the act of homosexual sex. Also, “mild” SSA is nothing, I think most people may entertain these thoughts, but a true homosexual isn’t bisexual and has absolutly no attraction towards the opposite sex. Those that are afflicted with this disorder, have an incredibly difficult cross to bear, and are different from the people that have “mild” SSA from time to time.

Before I continue I must say I’m not talking about everyone that has had homosexual thoughts, or even actions—I’m talking about true homosexuals that are inflicted by a disorder THAT IS APART OF THEM. If your an addict, or pedophiliac, or schizophrenic (sp?), that IS apart of who you are! Medications may stabalize you, but save for the grace of miricle from God, this disorder is apart of your personal human condition.

I always see these “ex-gays” on 700 club and other christian broadcast media that discuss how they" freed" themselves from the homosexual lifestyle, but really they seem to just be sex crazed individuals that didn’t discriminate in the ways they recieved their pleasure. A true homosexual, and I know enough to confidently say this is “WHO THEY ARE,” do not have any attraction whatsover towards the opposite sex. The CC acknowledges this too btw, hence the creation of programs such as Courage who teach SSA individuals the importance of living a chaste life, as that is their mission given their circumstances.
 
Hey everyone. How does one defend the Church’s stance on marriage to people who have a vastly different view of marriage than that of the Church? For example, my best friend is for gay marriage. Actually, a few of my friends are. How do I defend the Church’s stance on marriage? I really have no idea how to do this. I know that gay marriage is wrong and unnatural and everything but when I tell people that gay marriage is wrong and they ask why, I tell them that it is wrong because the Catholic Church says so. That is about all I can say. Unfortunately, when I do so, many people tell me that they reject the authority of the Catholic Church. So, are there other ways of defending the Catholic Church’s stance on marriage?
By living faithfully in the state in which you are **
 
I know it’s tempting to say, “Well the Church says so, therefore it is true.” (and it is).

But turn it around.

“It is true, therefore the Church says so.”

IOW, the teaching on marriage is truth. . .homosexual actions are not and can never be part of marriage.

BECAUSE this is truth, the Church has the right and the responsibility to teach this truth.

Suppose that every one of your friends, Holly, suddenly started believing that stealing was a virtue. Suppose that your country, even, made it ‘lawful’ to steal. Suppose that people were rewarded for stealing. . .that the more they stole, the more they would be admired, and that people who didn’t steal were mocked, insulted, or even imprisoned for not following ‘the law’. . . Does that make stealing right? No!

And suppose you argued that stealing was wrong because it deprived people of what they had earned. . .that taking what was not yours was evil and hurt the ones who were robbed. . .and you explained the teaching and showed the relevant sections in the Catechism. . .

The Church teaches stealing is wrong because it is true. Stealing does not become wrong ‘just because the Church says it is’. . . it IS wrong and the Church simply TELLS THE TRUTH ABOUT STEALING BEING WRONG.

Same thing with the Church’s teaching on marriage.
 
As a Gay person (chaste!), I defend the Church’s teaching by pointing out that God places a great degree of restriction on one’s sexual activity. Single straight persons have to live a celibate life, the Pope and priests have to, and Gay people are also called to live that life.

The sexual revolution rejected all that teaching, and where did it get us? Hip deep in pedophiles, and threatened by diseases like AIDS (which wouldn’t have spread so quickly in a world with more people following the Church’s teachings on sexual behavior.)

As for purely civil Gay marriage or civil unions, the problem is the courts defining Gay marriage as a right, and thus placing the Church (and God) in the position of the KKK. Look at what happened in California when they got people fired for giving money to the political campaign to support traditional marriage.

The main thing I think is to show love for Gay persons. And, please, don’t always assume because we say we are Gay that means we must currently be involved in sexual sin, or that we are centering our lives around our sexuality…
 
All you have to do is look north to our sister country Canada, which has been allowing SS marriages for over five years now for the reason. One of the arguments for SS marriages is that married couples are typically happier than single people and as such gay men and women would benefit from being married and would be happier people overall. But that hasn’t come about in Canada. In fact the gay or “queer” community as they call themselves are in dire straits and in fact petitioned the UN about the Canadian Health Department isn’t doing enough to address the additional healthcare needs of the queer community. This document is proposed by the “queer” community.

exacom.net/firstlibrary/Articles/Moral%20Issues/Homosexuality/Health%20consequences/HRC%20complaint.pdf

The amazing statistic is the average lifespan of gay men in Canada is 55 years!!

There is way too much information that leads one to believe that the gay lifestyle is very destructive and should not be something that we should be condoning.

Gay marriage is the same as legalizing all illegal drugs, allowing cleptomaniacs to steal whatever they want because they can’t help it, or allow alcoholics to drive intoxicated. There is absolutely no difference.

What we should do is pray for these men and women who are enduring this “thorn in their side” and provide them the help they need.

God bless.
 
As a Gay person (chaste!), I defend the Church’s teaching by pointing out that God places a great degree of restriction on one’s sexual activity. Single straight persons have to live a celibate life, the Pope and priests have to, and Gay people are also called to live that life.

The sexual revolution rejected all that teaching, and where did it get us? Hip deep in pedophiles, and threatened by diseases like AIDS (which wouldn’t have spread so quickly in a world with more people following the Church’s teachings on sexual behavior.)

As for purely civil Gay marriage or civil unions, the problem is the courts defining Gay marriage as a right, and thus placing the Church (and God) in the position of the KKK. Look at what happened in California when they got people fired for giving money to the political campaign to support traditional marriage.

The main thing I think is to show love for Gay persons. And, please, don’t always assume because we say we are Gay that means we must currently be involved in sexual sin, or that we are centering our lives around our sexuality…
This I agree with you. Every place where gay marriage has been legalized, religions have lost rights. In Canada for example a very strong “hate speech” law is in place and a little while back a preacher was imprisoned because from the pulpit he stated that homosexual acts were sins.

All of us must enduring trials and tribulations. Some of us much harder than others but we as Christians instead of saying there is nothing wrong with some behavior needs to support each other in overcoming our trials and tribulations. Should we give alcoholics a license to drive while intoxicated? Or cleptomaniacs the right to steal?

The whole idea is idiotic, but these progressives are going to continue to alter society whereever they can until the Catholic church is driven out of society.

They say it is about equal rights, but is it equal rights for pro gay marriage supporters to harrass people as they come out of church? What do you thing would happen if a bunch of Catholics stood in front of a gay bar and harassed the men and women going in and coming out. Tear gas and rubber bullets that is what.
 
As a Gay person (chaste!), I defend the Church’s teaching by pointing out that God places a great degree of restriction on one’s sexual activity. Single straight persons have to live a celibate life, the Pope and priests have to, and Gay people are also called to live that life.

The sexual revolution rejected all that teaching, and where did it get us? Hip deep in pedophiles, and threatened by diseases like AIDS (which wouldn’t have spread so quickly in a world with more people following the Church’s teachings on sexual behavior.)

As for purely civil Gay marriage or civil unions, the problem is the courts defining Gay marriage as a right, and thus placing the Church (and God) in the position of the KKK. Look at what happened in California when they got people fired for giving money to the political campaign to support traditional marriage.

The main thing I think is to show love for Gay persons. And, please, don’t always assume because we say we are Gay that means we must currently be involved in sexual sin, or that we are centering our lives around our sexuality…
God Bless you nissa_ami_kato and your family for coming home!:)👍:clapping::extrahappy:: ::yeah_me::blessyou::choocho::irish3::
 
this doesn’t answer the question at all but can i just throw my two cents in?
technically, we should not assume that homesexuals are having homosexual sex. technically. maybe they have romantic feelings for each other but don’t act on them, just like a nonmarried couple waiting till marriage before they have sex.
distinguishing between the legal definition of marriage and the bible definition is a very good way to think of it!!! (blankface, post #2.) It’s a very open-minded and intelligent way to think of it if/since you are commited to holding the same religious beliefs as the Church without denying your personal, independently reached opinon. It’s also admirable that you are not being particularly judgemental of homosexuals in the sense that you know they can still be good people and don’t condemn the entire person for just one aspect of their being.
I understand why the Catholic Church will never change its dogmas or doctrines bc that’s like admitting they’ve been wrong all this time. If(since) we have free will, why don’t you free your mind from the Church’s archaic rules that seek to limit what we are free to do? I suggest using your devotion to the Church to continue receiving God’s love in your heart, but using the unique mind us humans have been given to decide for yourself if two people in love should be denied the right spend the rest of their lives together in a state of union.
Here is a quote. I don’t know where it’s from, sorry to that person! I do know it was specifically from a Catholic source of some sort.
"Whoever really loves his partner loves not only for what he receives, but loves that partner for the partner’s own sake, content to be able to enrich the other with the gift of himself. "
A marriage between two people of the same sex might not be, well I mean, it isn’t, a valid Catholic marriage, but if they want to take the same vows that a Catholic couple would make, shouldn’t they be allowed to? If they want to profess their love for each other and tell the world that they are committed and devoted to giving their self fully to their partner for as long as they live, we shouldn’t stand in their way. I say let them be given the same rights in a legal sense that heterosexual couples are given.
Thanks for hearing me out, sorry I didn’t contribute anything to answer the original question!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top