N
Netty1
Guest
Hello everyone.
I’ve got into a bit of a debate with someone who says that nowhere in the NT does our Lord ever directly and emphatically claim to be the Son of God. I know the right chapters and verses to quote, but that does not seem to be enough because she says the words are ambiguous and can be interpreted any-which-way.
She also says the Son of Man means exactly that - that Jesus was saying He was Joseph’s son, and that when He says “my Father” that is a claim we can all make because we are all God’s children. The person concerned is a lapsed Protestant. She believed at one point but then fell away because she says that if Christ believed Himself to be the Son of God, He would have said it more clearly and plainly.
I’m quite a new convert Catholic and while pretty good on my scripture, apologetics are a newer challenge for me, and I’d like to be able to give a better reply that just quote scriptures over and over, which she doesn’t interpret the same way.
Can anyone offer some advice on how to progress the conversation past this impasse? It’s a friendly impasse by the way, so it would be nice to give her some food for thought and possibly raise some questions in her own mind about her falling away.
Thanks in advance to anyone with time to reply.
I’ve got into a bit of a debate with someone who says that nowhere in the NT does our Lord ever directly and emphatically claim to be the Son of God. I know the right chapters and verses to quote, but that does not seem to be enough because she says the words are ambiguous and can be interpreted any-which-way.
She also says the Son of Man means exactly that - that Jesus was saying He was Joseph’s son, and that when He says “my Father” that is a claim we can all make because we are all God’s children. The person concerned is a lapsed Protestant. She believed at one point but then fell away because she says that if Christ believed Himself to be the Son of God, He would have said it more clearly and plainly.
I’m quite a new convert Catholic and while pretty good on my scripture, apologetics are a newer challenge for me, and I’d like to be able to give a better reply that just quote scriptures over and over, which she doesn’t interpret the same way.
Can anyone offer some advice on how to progress the conversation past this impasse? It’s a friendly impasse by the way, so it would be nice to give her some food for thought and possibly raise some questions in her own mind about her falling away.
Thanks in advance to anyone with time to reply.