How does Satan look?

  • Thread starter Thread starter exiled
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

exiled

Guest
In the Scriptural records of Satan’s appearances (and I only know of three, Eden, temptation of Christ, and Rev.) how did he appear?
I just began Jeff Cavins’ Bible study, and I am interested in knowing if Satan appeared to be a benign creature to Eve, or as an intimidating creature.
I believe Cavins also said that the Scriptural word for serpent used in Genesis is also the word that describes the dragon we see in Revelation. Is that true?
I could not find the word, Nachash, in the Strong’s concordance. Is there any other place I should look to to confirm the same word for both?
 
As pure spirit, Satan has no inherent sensible qualities; he can’t be seen in the material sense. He may well be able to manipulate the sensible world to a degree and manifest himself in various guises but these are illusions.

JSA
 
Satan, being a pure spirit, has no physical body and can assume any appearance he wants, even that of an angel of light. (2 Corinthians 11:14)

The Old Testament, generally speaking, was written in Hebrew and the New Testament was written in Greek.

Genesis 3:1 uses the Hebrew word nachash (Strong # 5175) which means serpent or *snake. *Revelation 12:9 uses the Greek word drakon (Strong #1404) which means dragon or great serpent and the Greek word ophis (Strong #3789) which means *snake *or serpent.

In the early Greek translation of the Old Testament, the Septuagint, the Greek word ophis is used in Genesis 3:1.
 
we have forgot to mention Satan can be seen through the way we act, speak, do, and think - that is we do the opposite of what God wants us to do.
 
Bets portrayal of Satan was in Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ.

The androgeny(sp) was interesting and pertinent in today’s age of gender bending.
 
Franciscan…I couldn’t agree with you more…How Satan was portrayed in Passion of The Christ is just so creepy to me. No horns, no tail and trident…but man, the look on “it’s” face as he would wonder amongst the crowd was scarier then any monster in any slasher movie for sure. I think because it garnered a much more emotional reaction from the audiance…kind of a psychological fear. Very interesting indeed.
 
Franciscan…I couldn’t agree with you more…How Satan was portrayed in Passion of The Christ is just so creepy to me. No horns, no tail and trident…but man, the look on “it’s” face as he would wonder amongst the crowd was scarier then any monster in any slasher movie for sure. I think because it garnered a much more emotional reaction from the audiance…kind of a psychological fear. Very interesting indeed.
Even freakier the hairy baby in it’s arms. Most agree that was supposed to mock the Madonna image. The baby-the antiChrist
 
Even freakier the hairy baby in it’s arms. Most agree that was supposed to mock the Madonna image. The baby-the Antichrist
So true Franciscan…To me this displays how psychologically twisted Satan is, almost clever at times. But it also shows the desperation of Satan and the need to mock God in anyway he can. After all, what is more offensive to Christians, depictions of a red devil in a really hot place, or taking something as sacred as baby Jesus and warping his image. This description of Satan to me is a far worse then the stereotypical horns and tail observed over the centuries and we must always be vigilant against such displays and tactics…Blessings to you Sir
 
It is quite scary to see that face in the movie, isn’t it?
However, it is worse when we see the real one. :eek:
 
As pure spirit, Satan has no inherent sensible qualities; he can’t be seen in the material sense.
But in the spritual sense, were it possible to see him I really do not want to know.

It is too scary. Good job we have Christ 👍
 
In the Scriptural records of Satan’s appearances (and I only know of three, Eden, temptation of Christ, and Rev.) how did he appear?
I just began Jeff Cavins’ Bible study, and I am interested in knowing if Satan appeared to be a benign creature to Eve, or as an intimidating creature.
I believe Cavins also said that the Scriptural word for serpent used in Genesis is also the word that describes the dragon we see in Revelation. Is that true?

Revelation is in Greek - Genesis is in Hebrew. As quoted, the comment makes no sense (the Greek is drakōn, FWIW).​

I could not find the word, Nachash, in the Strong’s concordance. Is there any other place I should look to to confirm the same word for both?

1. How long is a piece of string 🙂 ? The question is inapplicable, as satan has no appearance. It’s like asking “When is green ?” - the individual words have meaning, but the question made of them in that way, don’t. Probably a lot of our theological questions are inapplicable, if we only knew it.​

  1. Even if it had an “appearance” that could be discussed - how would any of us know 😉 ? None of these events were depicted or recorded on film. Unless one takes the view that Jesus was an alien, & that the events in the Gospel are misunderstood sightings of UFOs & their crews. Even if a UFO filmed them, there is no way to know of such things. Explanation by UFO is how some people explain the miracles, when what needs explaining is the explanation 🙂
 
It is quite scary to see that face in the movie, isn’t it?
However, it is worse when we see the real one. :eek:
I think it’s pretty funny that satan in “The Passion of the Christ” Was played by a woman. That takes some dedication…shaving the eyebrows and just delivering that kind of performance.
 
Franciscan…I couldn’t agree with you more…How Satan was portrayed in Passion of The Christ is just so creepy to me. No horns, no tail and trident…but man, the look on “it’s” face as he would wonder amongst the crowd was scarier then any monster in any slasher movie for sure. I think because it garnered a much more emotional reaction from the audiance…kind of a psychological fear. Very interesting indeed.
Indeed. I’m sure the reality is infinitely more horrible. Personally, I believe that Satan and his legion of demons can only live by eating our souls. A Satanic eucharist as it were. Hence Satan’s predatry nature.
 
About twenty years ago, I saw the devil. I was talking to my boy friend about how beautiful life would it be if we were still in the garden of eden,before Adam and Eve comit sin. I was looking at the horizon when I look at my boyfried’s face and saw what I thougt it was the devil. It was a red cloud with two big eyes and big smiling mouth looking straght at me. I got very scare and try to move the cloud away. My friend fall at sleep and wasn’t aware what I saw.
 
About twenty years ago, I saw the devil. I was talking to my boy friend about how beautiful life would it be if we were still in the garden of eden,before Adam and Eve comit sin. I was looking at the horizon when I look at my boyfried’s face and saw what I thougt it was the devil. It was a red cloud with two big eyes and big smiling mouth looking straght at me. I got very scare and try to move the cloud away. My friend fall at sleep and wasn’t aware what I saw.
 
Franciscan…I couldn’t agree with you more…How Satan was portrayed in Passion of The Christ is just so creepy to me. No horns, no tail and trident…but man, the look on “it’s” face as he would wonder amongst the crowd was scarier then any monster in any slasher movie for sure. I think because it garnered a much more emotional reaction from the audiance…kind of a psychological fear. Very interesting indeed.
I was reading somewhere that the satan in the movie is actually a female and they had a man do a voice over, just to make it a little weirder.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top