N
nfinke
Guest
Obviously the Magisterium has the ability to teach infallibly when it needs to. But much more often they say things that are (taken with weight as important people in the church, but still) fallible like the rest of us.
When they do get together like they did at the council of Trent for example, for some serious business…I guess the question boils down to how do they know their infallibility is infallible? How can they discern “ok this statement is absolute truth, and we all agree this other statement is true, but it’s not infallibly true.”
Like do they have to agree unanimously? Do they hear the holy spirit speaking to them? Is it just a feeling they get in their gut? I mean I’m sure the Holy Spirit has moved me to do something in my life, but I wouldn’t be willing to stake my life on when it was. How do they know something they think the spirit is moving them in infallibly is just something they all agree on?
When they do get together like they did at the council of Trent for example, for some serious business…I guess the question boils down to how do they know their infallibility is infallible? How can they discern “ok this statement is absolute truth, and we all agree this other statement is true, but it’s not infallibly true.”
Like do they have to agree unanimously? Do they hear the holy spirit speaking to them? Is it just a feeling they get in their gut? I mean I’m sure the Holy Spirit has moved me to do something in my life, but I wouldn’t be willing to stake my life on when it was. How do they know something they think the spirit is moving them in infallibly is just something they all agree on?
Last edited: