How important is a spiritual director?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JamalChristophr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamalChristophr

Guest
If one is serious about making progress in the spiritual life is it foolish to think you can be your own S.D.?

Twain said, “A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client.” Does this carry over to spiritual direction?

One more question, if anyone wants to answer…Is it a bad idea to ask a young priest to be your S.D.?

Thanks.
 
The innermost me has been rebuilt according to The Imitation of Christ. I cannot really see where a spiritual director is necessary if you put into practice what the book preaches.
 
It’s important to have an SD if you don’t have anyone who is spiritually advanced enough to help you.

The important thing is that an SD is experienced in spirituality, not just well read about it.

Many dioceses have SD’s available. Call your local chancery office and inquire.

Jim
 
Thanks Robert and Jim. 🙂

I need to get off my fins and act.
 
Hi Jamal,

I don’t think that it would hurt to ask a young priest.

I went to see a Spiritual Director during times in my life when I felt that I needed some help with my spiritual life. The first time I saw a nun who was referred to me, and the second time I went, I saw one of my pastors who was available.
 
Is it necessary? No.

However, it is a sure way to help you navigate the ups and downs of the spiritual life.

I think one mistake you might be making is thinking of it in terms of “progress.” The spiritual life is not, “I’m on level 2 and I want to reach level 3.” There are periods of consolation and desolation. The job of a spiritual director is to help you learn how to recognize those different times.

Yes, they can help you deepen your prayer life and other things like that, but the primary goal of spiritual direction should be to understand those times of consolation/desolation.

With that in mind, the most important attributes for a spiritual direct is they should have knowledge of the spiritual life and you should feel comfortable with them.
 
Well, perhaps I am too goal oriented. I don’t know. But spiritual writers classically have said there is first the purgative way, then then the illuminative, then the unitive.

We should be trying to grow closer to God, right? And holier, too?? But it could be also that I have affirmation issues…let’s not go there! 😊
 
With that in mind, the most important attributes for a spiritual direct is they should have knowledge of the spiritual life and you should feel comfortable with them.
Thanks, that makes good sense.
 
A SD is very important if you are in the stage of discernment of a life vocation, be it the religious life, seminary, or even a relationship leading to marriage.

At any other time in life, he can help to shape your faith life.

Spiritual direction is also an exercise in trust and humility, something if we are trying to follow our LORD will be quite necessary.

ICXC NIKA.
 
When I talk about spiritual direction on this site or refer people for spiritual direction, it usually involves more than asking the priest a question or two like the “ask an apologist” feature.

Spiritual direction is more regular and goes beyond asking a couple of questions or Confessing sins.

The people on here who seem to need spiritual direction THE MOST are those with a scrupulous conscience (those with a lax conscience would do well to learn more about the Faith as well) and people who are discerning religious vocations.

So for many people it’s very important.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top