How important is sexual attraction in marriage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lady_Love
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lady_Love

Guest
Now, I don’t want the “logical” answer. I want the “real” answer. I would like to hear from people who have married someone they weren’t physically “hot” for and I would like to hear from those who did and for them to elaborate on the success of their relationships.

I would like to hear from anyone who waited until their wedding day to have sex but maybe had had sex in relationships before their husband?

I am engaged. I have always had sex with the men I dated. This man I am engaged to, we have waited. It hasn’t been hard to wait for me because I am not overwhelmed with “chemistry.” I just want to make sure that I am not cheating him or myself.
 
I think there’s has to be some level of attraction. Last year I heard Greg and Lisa Popcak talking about this on their radio show–someone had written in about this issue regarding someone she was dating.

Their response was that attraction is a gift. It was nice that they acknowledged that there is some importance in having mutual attraction…it is an aspect of romantic relationships, and it’s not necessarily shallow to consider it, although perhaps it could be shallow to attach too much importance to it.

Attraction can become even stronger after marriage…but it may be a problem if there’s very little of it in the first place.
 
Well, I am very happily married and I think I have the whole package. I was always very physically attracted to my husband and vice versa. We are also very compatible personality wise and have a very strong emotional attraction. Honestly, if I wasn’t attracted physically to my hubby, I don’t know if it would be working out so well. If there isn’t sexual attraction there, chances are your sex life will suffer. It sure isn’t everything, but no attraction is a deal breaker. I would have had to have at least a moderate physical attraction to him.
 
My personal opinion is that the ‘chemistry’ wears off after a while - so the facts that isn’t there from the beginning isn’t too important, and may be a good thing depending on the personalities.
 
Well if I am going to be TOTALLY honest I would have to say it matters, but it’s not everything. I don’t think it will make or break your relationship. I do know one person who married someone they thought was just ok looking. She told me those feelings came after the wedding. So they can grow as the marriage grows and you get to know each other. Of all the things in looking for a spouse, I wouldn’t put it as my #1 thing, but maybe in the top 5 along with how much they like doing laundry. 😃
 
Happily married!

It’s tough to explain because I was physically attracted to him in certain ways and other ways I wasn’t

He is tall and skinny…which is a physique I’ve always been very attracted to…but, in all honesty, he has a strange smile and his teeth are noticeably crooked. When we first started dating that was a little bit of a turn off…but as I grew to know him and love his personality…I stopped noticing his flaws and started picking out things that were attractive and noticing them more and more.

Now…I think of his “flaws” as endearing…which isn’t exactly flattering to say…but it’s only a small part of him.

I think when you get to know someone and realize you really love them…small things become less noticeable over time.

They have to if you’re going to grow old together.
 
Well it’s good that you stopped having sex with every man you dated. At least now you are looking after your immortal soul. I would say physical attraction is quite important. Not as important as praying for and with one another
 
Now, I don’t want the “logical” answer. I want the “real” answer. I would like to hear from people who have married someone they weren’t physically “hot” for and I would like to hear from those who did and for them to elaborate on the success of their relationships.

I would like to hear from anyone who waited until their wedding day to have sex but maybe had had sex in relationships before their husband?

I am engaged. I have always had sex with the men I dated. This man I am engaged to, we have waited. It hasn’t been hard to wait for me because I am not overwhelmed with “chemistry.” I just want to make sure that I am not cheating him or myself.
It might be an idea to put the boot on the other foot. Would you be offended if he felt the same way?
 
Well it’s good that you stopped having sex with every man you dated. At least now you are looking after your immortal soul. I would say physical attraction is quite important. Not as important as praying for and with one another
I have always cared about my immortal soul, I just wasn’t mature enough or disciplined enough to do the right thing, no matter how much I really wanted too. As a result I hurt myself and many others. I was a deeply wounded individual desperate for love and validation. It was only through a broken heart that nearly caused the death of me that put fear into my heart of being hurt again. (When I say dated, I mean 1year to 7 year relationship all of which I wanted to get married. I learned the hard way but thanks to the mercy of God, I learned.)

And sir, I have had the shoe on the other foot in my previous relationship which tore me apart. I don’t take this lightly. I am about to get married on which my salvation will depend on my faithfulness to him. So I am concerned about my and his immortal soul. I want to make sure that I do the right thing. I currently have no inclination to be unfaithful but given my past I don’t always trust myself. I know what a weak person I am and how many times I have wounded my God, myself and others. I do not want to ignore facts and reality.

It would help me very much if you would pray for me…possibly every day for the rest of your life. Pray that I will make the most loving choice that is most in conformity with God’s will.
 
I have always cared about my immortal soul, I just wasn’t mature enough or disciplined enough to do the right thing, no matter how much I really wanted too. As a result I hurt myself and many others. I was a deeply wounded individual desperate for love and validation. It was only through a broken heart that nearly caused the death of me that put fear into my heart of being hurt again. (When I say dated, I mean 1year to 7 year relationship all of which I wanted to get married. I learned the hard way but thanks to the mercy of God, I learned.)

And sir, I have had the shoe on the other foot in my previous relationship which tore me apart. I don’t take this lightly. I am about to get married on which my salvation will depend on my faithfulness to him. So I am concerned about my and his immortal soul. I want to make sure that I do the right thing. I currently have no inclination to be unfaithful but given my past I don’t always trust myself. I know what a weak person I am and how many times I have wounded my God, myself and others. I do not want to ignore facts and reality.

It would help me very much if you would pray for me…possibly every day for the rest of your life. Pray that I will make the most loving choice that is most in conformity with God’s will.
You are loved by God. Indeed, we are all weak and wounded… You are in my prayers. Pray for me also a wounded sinner. May God’s will be done in our lives…
 
For me, sexual attraction was IMMENSELY important to my marriage, and due to there not being enough of it, the marriage fell apart. On the RAREST of occasions, two people meet who are MAGICALLY attracted to each other at that moment. But unfortunately, it’s usually a passing ships situation, and the moment is lost without follow-up, or learning who the other person was. That happened to me either in 1957 or '58 in a Hershey , PA restaurant – and again in a Greyhound Terminal in Tyler, Texas, one evening in, I think, the summer of 1976. If that EVER happens again, I’ll drop everything I’m doing at that moment and take the time to meet her – even if I have to miss a plane to do it!
 
Now, I don’t want the “logical” answer. I want the “real” answer.
There is no real answer. It varies depending on the person. Some people have extremely high sexual attraction (my wife and I 🙂 ), and other people just don’t. I actually know couples that have very low sexual attraction, have had sex in decades (so they tell me), yet have very stable marriages.
 
I have always cared about my immortal soul, I just wasn’t mature enough or disciplined enough to do the right thing, no matter how much I really wanted too. As a result I hurt myself and many others. I was a deeply wounded individual desperate for love and validation. It was only through a broken heart that nearly caused the death of me that put fear into my heart of being hurt again. (When I say dated, I mean 1year to 7 year relationship all of which I wanted to get married. I learned the hard way but thanks to the mercy of God, I learned.)

And sir, I have had the shoe on the other foot in my previous relationship which tore me apart. I don’t take this lightly. I am about to get married on which my salvation will depend on my faithfulness to him. So I am concerned about my and his immortal soul. I want to make sure that I do the right thing. I currently have no inclination to be unfaithful but given my past I don’t always trust myself. I know what a weak person I am and how many times I have wounded my God, myself and others. I do not want to ignore facts and reality.

It would help me very much if you would pray for me…possibly every day for the rest of your life. Pray that I will make the most loving choice that is most in conformity with God’s will.
I mean this as gentle as possible Lady Love…based on your statement above, I think you may need to seriously re-examine your engagement. If you don’t “trust yourself” in times of struggle and challenge to the spouse that you vowed to the Lord to honor and cherish; I think there are demons you need to rid yourself of before entering a marriage.

Intimacy is based on trust. In the brief words you’ve stated, it indicates you have had your trust violated several times in the past and now you’re trying a different tact by being chaste with this man. Excellent!! You are doing what God asks us to do! I applaude you! But you have no previous benchmark to compare your current feelings too, right? The other relationships you know how they “feel”, but this is new and different…and possibly not as exciting. Intimacy provides us great feelings of anticipation and excitement and you’re not experiencing that right now.

One other point…you marry someone for the person they will also become. We all get old and wrinkly, our physical appearance will change. You have to love the person inside. In marriage you give yourself to your spouse as a gift, in good times and bad. I know you know the words, we all do. But it’s the meaning we really need to understand.

I have some experience in this. My wife confessed to me several years ago she loved me, but wasn’t in love with me. We were a “normal” couple prior to that confession, loving, intimate, etc. That was after 7 years of marriage and 2 kids. It was a kick in the gut for me. I was devastated. But it drove me to re-examine myself and my behaviors. Long story short, after some attempts at counseling, reading, praying, etc. I found out my wife had a rather difficult childhood watching an emotionally abusive and adulterous father. I could have bailed on the marriage after my wife’s confession…and further destroyed her emotionally and wrecked my children’s future marriage, but I decided to love her unconditionally instead. And an AMAZING thing happened! I discovered a depth of love I never knew possible! I now know I have to show my wife what a true husband and father is for her to heal.

Today we are still where we were several years ago. I love my wife tremendously. I date her, tell her how beautiful she is and treat her like she deserves to be treated. She continues to ignore me, tells me to stop treating her so well and not be intimate (it’s been years now). But I trust in the Lord. I pray for her every single day and I know that someday Christ will enter her heart like He did mine.

Again, I mean no disrespect in my post, I just saw many red flags. I will include you and your fiance in my prayers. God bless.
 
extremely important. it wanes over time, so it better be really strong in the beginning.
 
Now, I don’t want the “logical” answer. I want the “real” answer. I would like to hear from people who have married someone they weren’t physically “hot” for and I would like to hear from those who did and for them to elaborate on the success of their relationships.

I would like to hear from anyone who waited until their wedding day to have sex but maybe had had sex in relationships before their husband?

I am engaged. I have always had sex with the men I dated. This man I am engaged to, we have waited. It hasn’t been hard to wait for me because I am not overwhelmed with “chemistry.” I just want to make sure that I am not cheating him or myself.
If you two share at least some physical attraction, you can improve on your chemistry. Creating something out of nothing however is a different story.
 
If you two share at least some physical attraction, you can improve on your chemistry. Creating something out of nothing however is a different story.
Yes. You don’t have to marry the person you’d vote as “Most Gorgeous I Could Have Hoped to Marry”, but you do want to choose someone who garners enough passion and affection from you that the prospect of a regular sexual relationship seems like something you’d enjoy, and the “marital debt” an “obligation” you will look forward to meeting. If it seems that sex is going to be an obligation in the worst sense of the word from the wedding night onward, don’t do it. As I believe Fr. Ron Rolheiser put it, based on his work counselling married couples, probably the only thing worse than being lonely in a bed by yourself is finding yourself lonely in a bed with someone else.
 
I would say the chemistry does need to be there. If you’re not really turned on by him now, you shouldn’t assume that you’ll magically be turned on when you’re married… Really think about what you’re getting into before doing it. Marriage is sacred and should be respected as such.
 
Forgive me, but I’m gonna quote Doctor Who here for a sec.

You know when sometimes you meet someone so beautiful and then you actually talk to them and five minutes later they’re as dull as a brick? Then there’s other people, when you meet them you think, “Not bad. They’re okay.” And then you get to know them and… and their face just sort of becomes them. Like their personality’s written all over it. And they just turn into something so beautiful.
 
Attraction is a good biological ice breaker, gives you that push to initiate first contact, so to speak.

But its certainly not the be all and end all of a relationship. Say you marry someone you think is just the hottest creation on the planet. Age or accident could take those looks away in an instance.

And if the only reason you married them was because of their appearance, one which you’re not longer attracted to, then what?
 
👍 I’m with Dr. Who on this one!!!

I am dating a man I hope to marry and I decided to be brave and tell him from the outset that I am a Catholic and as such, would not be having sex with him, unless we were married…and waited for him to run away!

Fortunately, he stayed and we are still extremely happy.

When we first met, I wasn’t instantly attracted to him, but I did think he had a very kind face and a lovely way of dealing with people. I’d always liked him a lot as a friend and also had a great deal of respect for him, but never felt any kind of overpowering lust.

The turning point came for me when it suddenly dawned on me that being in his company was as easy for me and being by myself. I didn’t feel ‘on edge’, nor did I feel any kind of ‘will he / won’t he’ suspense that you get when you are with someone who is constantly dropping ambiguous hints about how he feels (or you are so so besotted, you start interpreting even the most mundane utterances as ambiguous hints about your future together :p)

Gradually, I began to re-evaluate the feelings I’d had for the men I had fancied myself in love with and what it was that made me feel such strong physical attraction to them and the results were, to say the least. surprising and more than a little embarassing. However, since I live a few thousand miles away from most of you guys and am using a User-Name, I’m going to share this…

I was lonely 😦 , clutching at straws and additcted to the thrill of the chase! I was making men the objects of my lust and in between actually seeing them and speaking to them (and when I say ‘speaking’ I mean gabbling, blushing and staring at the ground - or biting their heads off or treating them to a fine display of sarcasm, just to ‘prove’ I wasn’t interested at all!) I was letting my imagination run riot and playing out all sorts of silly scenarios in my head, about when we would finally get it together.

We are fed on a diet of fairytales and romantic fiction that suggests there is always some obstacle to overcome; some dragon to be slain before true lovers can be united. In this age of mixed up gender roles, us girls are expected to be the dragon-slayers ourselves one minute and demure little princesses the next! No wonder I was confused!

Coupled to all that, relationships never lasted too long, because I never actually picked men who could comprehend the point of waiting until after marriage for sexual intercourse - which meant I usually bottled it after 2 or 3 dates - called the whole thing off rather than discuss it and then spent the next 6 months or so, desperatley trying to ‘win’ them back! Talk about wasting everyone’s time!😃

So, because the man I am with now never made a secret of his attraction to me and has always been straight and up front about how he feels, I am never left feeling lost, confused…or elated by the challenge! Instead of feeling like the rug had been pulled from under my feet each time he walks through the door, I feel as though the rug has just been put back! Actually, that’s a much, much nicer feeling.

Just once, I got really cold feet and started to question, just as the OP is doing - why I was with him. Shouldn’t I leave him and allow him to meet a woman who does feel like the room is spinning when he walks in? Was I being fair? I told him my concerns and he drove round immediately.

As soon as I saw him at the door and the expression on his face, it dawned on me what I had nearly thrown away - all because I wasn’t used to experiencing happiness, love and security from a man. I’ve never felt uncertain about the relationship since.

The physical attraction has grown, but it does feel different from the sort of blind panic / exhilleration I’ve felt with other men in the past. However, I could easily replicate that feeling by jumping off a cliff :eek: The kind of attraction I experience now is based on shared respect and understanding and it’s underpinned with the comfort of security, as opposed to the thrill of uncertainty. Of course it feels different - but actually, I prefer it!

Another significant event was a coffee with an old school friend. She asked how things were going and I confided that at fist I wasn’t sure, because he seemed so certain and I just couldn’t see what he saw in me. She asked, “why do you not think you deserve to be loved? You will never know exactly why he loves you - you just need to start accepting that he does!”

Most importantly, unlike all the other men I’ve been in relationships with, this one inspires me to be a better person and he says I do the same for him. This means our relationship just isn’t defined by sex. We know we have the attraction there now, but it’s all about giving to one another and not about me or him focussing on what a thrill it is for ourselves.

I’ve no worries about the wedding night at all! In fact, we have joked about not bothering with an evening party, so we can do things the really, proper, old fashioned way and get off on honeymoon immediately after the cake is cut 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top