How is offering up our sufferings a legitimate sacrifice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ethereality
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ethereality

Guest
One day I was listening to EWTN Radio, and David Anders explained to a caller that we had forgiveness of sins because of Jesus’ sacrifice, and that a sacrifice was something good that was willingly given to God: What made it a sacrifice was that it was a) something good that b) was freely given.

Now when I look at my sufferings, I see that I have no choice in the matter: God allowed me to be mutilated, God allowed my genes to be defective, God allows other people to be hateful towards me. I don’t have a choice to freely offer God a whole body (moreover, it would be immoral to cut off part of my body!), or to make myself crippled (again, that would likewise be immoral), nor can I freely offer to God the good relationships that I could have had with those who will spite me.

In other words, all these sufferings God forces upon me by giving me no alternative. I have two choices: Suffer here on earth, or suicide to avoid suffering here on earth. If I live, I will suffer these things unless God intervenes.

So then, how is offering such suffering to God a legitimate sacrifice? I do not have a good that can be given, and I do not have the choice to freely give it.

The answer seems to be that offering God such suffering is not a sacrifice, so “offering it up” is misleading language. Instead, what we mean is “unite it with Christ’s sufferings on the Cross”, i.e. as St. Paul says, to complete that suffering that Jesus didn’t undergo back then. Is this correct?
 
Well…let’s see.

I like to think of the pharse of “giving what God takes, and taking what God gives.”

We can accept or rebel when faced with adversity. Accepting is meritorious and pleasing to God.

This is what Job said when so many misfortunes, sufferings, and trials befell him:
Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. 21And he said,* “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.***” In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.
 
Offering it up, IS the same as uniting our suffering to the one Christ experienced.

And actually you do have the choice to offer them up. It is your free will to do this, you can instead seek an escape like taking medication until you feel nothing, I personally would not recommend the extreme way out you suggested, but yes we read from St Paul that you CAN offer up your own suffering here on earth to obtain more graces from GOD.
For you or a relative or for the whole Church.

Also I would like to point out that GOD did NOT wish you to suffer HE does not wish ANY of HIS children to suffer. We are a fallen species and the suffering we undergo here on earth are only the fault of our fallen nature. You may say; I did not deserve this and it is true but the consequence of sin is in all of us. Who more who less we have all receive this cross.

I will pray for you, remember what is our life here on earth compared to the eternity with GOD.
 
I like to think of the pharse of “giving what God takes, and taking what God gives.”
A nice phrase, but as I said, you cannot give what you do not have. But, as you imply, you can give what you do have – a good attitude.
Also I would like to point out that GOD did NOT wish you to suffer HE does not wish ANY of HIS children to suffer. We are a fallen species and the suffering we undergo here on earth are only the fault of our fallen nature. You may say; I did not deserve this and it is true but the consequence of sin is in all of us. Who more who less we have all receive this cross.
I get what you’re saying about sin in the world, but what I do not understand is why God is waiting to heal me. It does seem that every day that passes and I am not healed is God saying, “I want you to suffer this (at least for one more day).” What do you have to say to this idea?
I will pray for you, remember what is our life here on earth compared to the eternity with GOD.
Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top