How is praying the rosary not repetitive prayer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter katpants
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katpants

Guest
My husband is a Lutheran and asked me that question today. I was like…uhhhhh :confused: I know somewhere in the NT we’re not supposed to use repetitive prayers.

In other news, did my first whole rosary last night :). I think I did it mostly right lol. 🙂

Thanks!

kat
 
The vain, repetitious prayer Jesus warned about was the type of prayer described in
1 Kings 18:26-28:
“And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made. And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.”
The pagans would call upon the name of their gods over and over until they got the god to respond. If their god responded, it made the shaman or holy man a big shot, capable of calling the gods down from heaven. That’s the “vain” part. The “repetitious” part is not the problem. Jesus prayed the same prayer three times in the Garden. The angels in heaven endlessly repeat “HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME.” Now that’s repetitious prayer, but it’s pleasing to God. Just like the Rosary. Keep on prayin’!
 
Catholics pray the rosary while meditating on the mysteries. We aren’t babbling the Hail Mary (rather, we aren’t supposed to be; it’s supposed to be prayed mindfully). But there’s no denying that we do repeat the prayers many times.

It IS repetition, but the Bible doesn’t condemn repetitive prayer, anyhow-- it condemns vain repetitions or empty (meaningless) phrases.

In Matthew 6:7, Christ says, “And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; **for they think that they will be heard **for their many words." This is not why we pray and meditate on the mysteries of the rosary.

When Jesus gave us the Lord’s Prayer, He didn’t warn us to say it one time only, or even just one time a day, he just said, “when you pray, say…”

Also, Jesus clearly prayed the same thing over and over – during His agony in the Garden, for example, he says the same prayer (for the cup to pass from Him) three times:

Matthew 26:39-44: And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.”
And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, thy will be done.” And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. **So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. **
 
My husband is a Lutheran and asked me that question today. I was like…uhhhhh :confused: I know somewhere in the NT we’re not supposed to use repetitive prayers.

In other news, did my first whole rosary last night :). I think I did it mostly right lol. 🙂

Thanks!

kat
pray without ceasing; 1 Thessalonians 5:17
 
Be gentle with him 😃
Lutherans were infected with the Pietistic fever years ago and tend to regard many traditional spiritual disciplines as “suspect.” One of the leading German Lutheran pietists even went so far to describe the font, the pulpit, the confessional and the altar as “dumb idols” - so you can see how the Lutheran church lurched in the direction of the Reformed and Puritan teachings. The rosary got tossed as well.

If you haven’t already done so, you could show your husband pictures of Martin Chemnitz, one of the early Lutherans theologians who is usually pictured with a rosary in his hand!

Going back to the earliest Lutheran teachings will often inspire one to reach back to the earliest Church Fathers and we know where that can lead - perhaps he will join you on your spiritual journey.

God bless!
 
Ask him for the specific places where it says this…The solution is in the adjectives.
“Vain” repetition “Empty” phrases.

Deeply and devoutly repeating a prayer during meditation etc. is not vain…nor are the phrases empty.

This is actually a great opening for discussion…

Peace
James
 
Since Jesus himself repeated prayers, repetitive prayer is clearly not condemned.

It’s vain, meaningless prayer that is condemned; the idea that mindlessly repeating prayers will increase one’s chances of steering God’s will.
 
My husband is a Lutheran and asked me that question today. I was like…uhhhhh :confused: I know somewhere in the NT we’re not supposed to use repetitive prayers.

In other news, did my first whole rosary last night :). I think I did it mostly right lol. 🙂

Thanks!

kat
No vain repetition. The rosary isn’t vain.
 
The rosary is the message of the gospel, told through the eyes of Mary. Who would know Jesus more closely than that ? Birth 33 years of His life. His death and resurrection.

God Bless
🙂

Joyful Mysteries:
  1. The annunciation to Mary.
  2. Visits cousin Elizabeth John the Baptists mother.
  3. Birth of Jesus.
  4. Presentation at the Temple.
  5. Finding Jesus in he Temple.
Sorrowful Mysteries :
  1. The agony.
2: The scourging at the pillar.
  1. The crowning with thorns.
  2. Carrying the cross
  3. The crucifixion.
The Glorious Mysteries :

1Jesus rises.
  1. He ascends.
  2. The Holy Spirit comes.
  3. The assumption of Mary.
  4. The coronation of Mary.
The Luminous Mysteries :
  1. Jesus gets baptized.
  2. Wedding at Cana
  3. Jesus proclaims the Kingdom.
\4. The transfiguration.
  1. The institution of the Euchrist.
 
The Rosary is Prayers of Persistence!

Luke 18:1-8

*The Parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge

18 And he told them a parable, to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. 2 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor regarded man; 3 and there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Vindicate me against my adversary.’ 4 For a while he refused; but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor regard man, 5 yet because this widow bothers me, I will vindicate her, or she will wear me out by her continual coming.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge says. 7 And will not God vindicate his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? 8 I tell you, he will vindicate them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?”*
 
God can bestow His graces as He chooses. I believe He searches the heart and pays much attention to our intentions.
 
The Rosary is Prayers of Persistence!

Luke 18:1-8

*The Parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge

18 And he told them a parable, to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. 2 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor regarded man; 3 and there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Vindicate me against my adversary.’ 4 For a while he refused; but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor regard man, 5 yet because this widow bothers me, I will vindicate her, or she will wear me out by her continual coming.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge says. 7 And will not God vindicate his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? 8 I tell you, he will vindicate them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?”*
Additionally, right after Jesus teaches the apostles the Lord’s prayer He tells them this:

Luke 11, 5-8
"5And he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,’ 7and he says in reply from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.’ 8I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.’
 
The Rosary is Prayers of Persistence!

Luke 18:1-8

*The Parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge

18 And he told them a parable, to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. 2 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor regarded man; 3 and there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Vindicate me against my adversary.’ 4 For a while he refused; but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor regard man, 5 yet because this widow bothers me, I will vindicate her, or she will wear me out by her continual coming.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge says. 7 And will not God vindicate his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? 8 I tell you, he will vindicate them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?”*
👍 I like this.

God Bless:)
 
Additionally, right after Jesus teaches the apostles the Lord’s prayer He tells them this:

Luke 11, 5-8
"5And he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,’ 7and he says in reply from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.’ 8I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.’
👍
 
My husband is a Lutheran and asked me that question today. I was like…uhhhhh :confused: I know somewhere in the NT we’re not supposed to use repetitive prayers.

In other news, did my first whole rosary last night :). I think I did it mostly right lol. 🙂

Thanks!

kat
Don’t Lutherans say some of the same prayers in their weekly service? I have friends who are Lutheran and I know they say the Creed each week at theirs, and they repeat some of the same hymns from time to time.

It sounds like the word “repetitive” means with the lips and that is all. But real prayer depends on the devotion of the heart as well as the thought in the soul given to God.
Any prayer that does that is a good prayer. But one which has only words without thought or love or knowing to whom it is directed is no prayer at all.

May God our Father give you grace and peace.
 
Don’t Lutherans say some of the same prayers in their weekly service? I have friends who are Lutheran and I know they say the Creed each week at theirs, and they repeat some of the same hymns from time to time.

It sounds like the word “repetitive” means with the lips and that is all. But real prayer depends on the devotion of the heart as well as the thought in the soul given to God.
Any prayer that does that is a good prayer. But one which has only words without thought or love or knowing to whom it is directed is no prayer at all.

May God our Father give you grace and peace.
Finns don’t attend church regularly. There’s a saying if you’re in church it’s because you need the points for baptism or you’re close to death. Sad but true. As long as you pay your automatic church tax every year, no one really cares. :rolleyes: One of the main reasons I don’t want to be part of it.

Hubby is a “label Lutheran” but he doesn’t really follow the stuff, he reads his Bible and that’s it.

Thanks!

kat
 
My husband is a Lutheran and asked me that question today. I was like…uhhhhh :confused: I know somewhere in the NT we’re not supposed to use repetitive prayers.

In other news, did my first whole rosary last night :). I think I did it mostly right lol. 🙂

Thanks!

kat
It is my understanding that repetitive prayer is the futile repeating of empty words. But the Rosary is not the futile repeating of empty words; it is the praying of meaningful words to meaningful meditations, in order to give honor to God and Mary and to obtain certain graces and blessings from them. God bless you.
 
Matthew 6:7 'In your prayers do not babble as the gentiles do, for they think that by using many words they will make themselves heard.

Koine Greek: Battologeo, to babble.
Aramaic: Batel, inane/gibberish.

But the protestant Bibles such as the KJV have 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Something Luther changed to attack the Church.
 
Matthew 6:7 'In your prayers do not babble as the gentiles do, for they think that by using many words they will make themselves heard.

Koine Greek: Battologeo, to babble.
Aramaic: Batel, inane/gibberish.

But the protestant Bibles such as the KJV have 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Something Luther changed to attack the Church.
Thanks! Sounds exactly like something Luther would of done lol! I appreciate it 🙂

Kat
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top