How is your prayer life?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MP_Kid
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MP_Kid

Guest
My prayer life has grown a lot since I was a kid. When I was a little kid I was taught how to pray the Our Father, Hail Mary, and the Guardian Angel prayer. For the longest time those 3 prayers are all that I prayed until I went to college.

When I pray now I still say those prayers plus more.

In the morning I say those 3 prayers and pray for the health and well being of my family, friends, and enemies. I ask God to cure my family members who have cancer, depression, etc.

In the evening/night I pray more. I usually pray one of two psalms, pray the creed, pray the same 3 prayers, pray for my deceased ancestors, friend, etc, ask for forgiveness of my sins, pray the magnificat and some more. I also do a reading from the Old Testament, Epistle, and Gospel. I give thanks for all that I have.

What are some of the ways you pray or prayers you say? I am always looking for new prayers to add.

I think I need to work on how to pray and hear God more. Some days I find it hard to pray. Sometimes I get tired of praying the same thing. How can I better talk to God or talk with God and hear his voice?
 
I haven’t memorized many prayers (except for the major ones), but I recite the Divine Praises and the Angelus. The first because before I was Catholic, during a particularly difficult time, I attended morning daily Mass and the priest recited it — I didn’t know it was Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament at the time. It just made an impression on me and it stuck.

The Angelus as a way to honor Our Lady – tried to pray at noon but it doesn’t always happen.
 
Hi! Those are good prayers to say. I read you tend to pray Psalms. If you’re looking for some new prayers you could start praying the Divine Office, or Liturgy of the hours for the faithful. These are official prayers proposed by the Church to pray with the Word of God, and as a continuation of the Liturgy of the Holy Mass, in some cases it can also be prayed during mass. It includes Psalms, Canticles, and other prayers. All these prayers are included into the four-week psalter, this means four weeks of prayers, each day has the morning prayer or “Lauds” (usually prayed very early in the morning, before dawn if possible) then the evening prayer or “Vespers” (which you can pray during the afternoon and not much after the sunset) and the night prayer or “Compline” (to pray before going to sleep at night). There’s a much more complex version which includes other hours of the day, and comes in 4 volumes, one for each Liturgical time, but that one is meant for the Religious and Priests I think. Prayers vary according to the Liturgical time of the year, there are also special prayers to say on special days (Patron Saints feast days, solemnities) the Little Office of the Virgin Mary (to be prayed on Saturdays or any day you want to offer a prayer in honor of the Most Holy Virgin) and the Office of the Dead (to dedicate prayers for the loved ones who passed away, or in the day someone passes away)

It’s a very good way to keep the praying spirit on through the day. I recommend it very much. Other prayers you can say could be the Holy Rosary, which Our Lady asked us so much to pray daily. There’s the Divine Mercy chaplet as well
You can also read the Bible and meditate on the Word of God (Lectio Divina). And the best of all, trying to attend Mass daily or as often as possible, and recoursing frequently to the Sacrament of Reconciliation, it will be of much help.

I hope this is helpful. God bless you.
 
Last edited:
Since I have discovered Catholicism recently, I dove in by praying the rosary every single night since Ash Wednesday and it had been amazing. I highly recommend praying the rosary at least once every single day.
 
As of now, I usually pray an Orthodox “prayer rule” simply because it adds structure and doesn’t leave me babbling to God. Here is roughly what I pray morning and night, if I am too tired, I will just pray the Our Father and use ACTS (Adoration, contrition, thanks, supplication). I highly recommend the practice of using a prayer rule. If you have time, add the daily reading to the rule. I try to pray the Jesus prayer non-stop, in an effort to pray unceasingly, but am far from that goal.

 
I say a Hail Mary every time I see a pot hole 😀 I’m saying a lot of them lately! Other good prayers, The Jesus Prayer, Prayer of St. Francis, St. Michael the Archangel, Act of Faith, Act of Hope, Act of Love, and Glory Be. I also say the Parent’s Prayer. Of course, the Rosary is always good!
 
Try praying a Hail Mary every time you see someone with a Rosary in their car. You’d be surprised at how many you will be praying.
 
I need to put mine back in my car after taking it in to church for one of my boys!
 
Silent prayer and I think prayer throughout the day are very important.

If you want to have a stronger prayer life, right reason, righteousness, etc. can help. Look to love God. Jesus makes His way into these hearts, I think.
Of course, make sure you give Him time to answer. Often when we pray we may just babble on, without stopping. Stop, go slow. We are supposed to be in a conversation, not a monologue.
 
I pray the rosary in the morning.

I have a subscription to Magnificat and use that for nightly prayer. I go through the Nightly Prayer and incorporate Examen in it. It’s a good way to end the day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top