How Long?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ally2k
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ally2k

I am having private help from our Priest to help me prepare for First Communion and Confirmation. I am doing it as an alternative to RCIA. I am already quite knowledgeable in the Christian Faith and was baptised as a child. how long will it be before I can receive The Blessed Sacrament. I so much want to.

40.png
Ally2k:
I am having private help from our Priest to help me prepare for First Communion and Confirmation. I am doing it as an alternative to RCIA. I am already quite knowledgeable in the Christian Faith and was baptised as a child. how long will it be before I can receive The Blessed Sacrament. I so much want to.
That is up to the Priest that you are working with, and should at somepoint involve the Bishop. I hope that you will not get in too big of a hurry, as I have a person I am working with now that shortcutted the RCIA program and now has all kinds of questions. The biggest issue however is they never accepted fulley the authority of the Church. Look forward to the recption of Our Lord, but use this time wisely as it will form you for life.

Most of ALL WELCOME HOME:clapping:

I’m in a similar situation…though it’s a bit unclear as to whether or not I’ll be taking RCIA program later on (it’s not even offered right now…only starts in September). I also long for the Blessed Sacrament and full communion…if I could, I would be confirmed right now!

(I am a Catholic in England), not that it makes that much of a difference. I am not really in a rush, I just sometimes feel a little left out during Mass, because I cannot receive the Lord. I began classes last month and I am reading as much as I can and practising my faith regularly. I don’t know if the timescale varies for those who are already baptised into the faith?

40.png
twf:
I’m in a similar situation…though it’s a bit unclear as to whether or not I’ll be taking RCIA program later on (it’s not even offered right now…only starts in September). I also long for the Blessed Sacrament and full communion…if I could, I would be confirmed right now!
Welcome Home also :clapping:

If you cant take RCIA there are other ways to go, but for someone just comming in it is a great resource, and we need your help to make it better.

Ally2k said:
(I am a Catholic in England), not that it makes that much of a difference. I am not really in a rush, I just sometimes feel a little left out during Mass, because I cannot receive the Lord. I began classes last month and I am reading as much as I can and practising my faith regularly. I don’t know if the timescale varies for those who are already baptised into the faith?

Have you talked to your Priest I know here people that can not yet recieve can go forward at the time of the Eucharist and cross their arms to recieve a blessing. This meant a lot to my wife as it was a year of masses prior to reciving our Lord.

40.png
Ally2k:
My sage advice to you as a daily communicant is to go slow. When you are truly convinced in the teachings of the Catholic Church on Salvation, Purgatory, Contraception, and the role of the Virgin Mary in salvation history, you are ready to come into “the Church.” Until then, you are at risk. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and be sure you agree with all that it teaches. Then you are ready.

God Bless You and your journey.

40.png
Ally2k:
My sage advice to you as a daily communicant is to go slow. When you are truly convinced in the teachings of the Catholic Church on Salvation, Purgatory, Contraception, and the role of the Virgin Mary in salvation history, you are ready to come into “the Church.” Until then, you are at risk. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and be sure you agree with all that it teaches. Then you are ready.

40.png
Jack:

What Jack said. Let me add the understanding of, and belief in, all seven Sacraments, most especially the Eucharist. Keep the three questions in mind: Who becomes truly present? To whom does He become present? Why does He become present?

Scott

40.png
Ally2k:
Wow that is the same thing with me. Our priest said about six months and we were having a session every 2 weeks. I know it is hard to wait, but just think I am waiting with you 😛 And it will be all that much more better. If your priest is the pastor of your parish he doesn’t need to have permission from the bishop.

Ally2k said:

There is an article on catholic.com that is labled how to become Catholic. It is very interesting. Someone who is bapized should take less time than someone who isn’t. As for feeling left out during mass, I go up and recieve a blessing from the priest. Just make sure your arms are crossed, then they will know you just need a blessing. The way it was explained to me is that you can only receive the blessing from the priest or deacon.

40.png
srkbdk:
Welcome Home also :clapping:

If you cant take RCIA there are other ways to go, but for someone just comming in it is a great resource, and we need your help to make it better.
Most of the RCIA courses in my area are bad. The priest helping me said I could probably teach the ones in our area. Thats why we opted not to do the RCIA.

40.png
Shari:
As for feeling left out during mass, I go up and recieve a blessing from the priest. Just make sure your arms are crossed, then they will know you just need a blessing. The way it was explained to me is that you can only receive the blessing from the priest or deacon.
Check with the parish first; that is not a universal practice. I have really embarrassed myself–once I was at a mass at the monastery here in town, went up with arms crossed, and got a look like, “What are YOU doing here?” :bigyikes:

DaveBj

My priest also allowed 16 year old daughter to be taught privately. Her requirement was to read through and study the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It is quite an undertaking but well worth the time for the foundation you will build in the Faith.

40.png
DaveBj:
Check with the parish first; that is not a universal practice. I have really embarrassed myself–once I was at a mass at the monastery here in town, went up with arms crossed, and got a look like, “What are YOU doing here?” :bigyikes:

DaveBj
My priest told me that was the universal sign to all priests that you are there for a blessing. They are not supposed to give the eucharist to people with there arms crossed. I have also heard this on Catholic Answers Live, I think it was Karl Keating who said this but it could have been someone else. Just going by what I heard. I think someone else said the same thing about crossing your arms and going up for a blessing on this thread.

40.png
Ally2k:
How long will it be before I can receive The Blessed Sacrament. I so much want to.
You can make a spiritual Communion right now. Here’s a nice one:

I wish, my Lord, to receive You, with the purity, humility and devotion with which Your most holy Mother received You, with the spirit and fervor of the saints.

Betsy

40.png
Shari:
My priest told me that was the universal sign to all priests that you are there for a blessing. They are not supposed to give the eucharist to people with there arms crossed. I have also heard this on Catholic Answers Live, I think it was Karl Keating who said this but it could have been someone else. Just going by what I heard. I think someone else said the same thing about crossing your arms and going up for a blessing on this thread.
This happened on a 3-day personal retreat that I was on at the monastary. The very next day I caught the tail-end of a question about that very subject on one of EWTN’s call-in programs, and the expert was saying that it’s not a universal thing, and a lot of people are wishing that Rome would rule on it one way or the other.

DaveBj

40.png
DaveBj:
This happened on a 3-day personal retreat that I was on at the monastary. The very next day I caught the tail-end of a question about that very subject on one of EWTN’s call-in programs, and the expert was saying that it’s not a universal thing, and a lot of people are wishing that Rome would rule on it one way or the other.

DaveBj
Thanks for the info. Maybe it was because you were on a retreat. I am just going by what my priest said. But I will keep this in mind. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back