How many decades are in the Full Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter epower
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

epower

Is the Full Rosary 15 decades or 20 decades?

I know that there are 5 Joyful Mysteries, 5 Sorrowful Mysteries, 5 Glorious Mysteries and
5 Luminous Mysteries. All of the Catholic resources that I have seen refer to 15 decades of
the rosary. I was at the Padre Pio Shrine last weekend and it also referred to the 5 Luminous
Mysteries, and the 15 decades of the Rosary. I do not know if it is a mistake, or if there
are 15 decades or 20 decades in the Rosary.

Are the Luminous Mysteries Optional?
Do they substitute for the Joyful Mysteries?

I would appreciate any (name removed by moderator)ut. Thanks.

Traditionally, there were 15:

5 joyful
5 sorrowful
5 glorious

The 5 luminous mysteries are new. You don’t have to include them if you don’t want to - remember that the rosary is a private devotion so you can do it any way you like. There are no rules about it.

So, if you choose to include the luminous mysteries there are 20 decades.

If you don’t, there are 15.
God love you,
Paul

When we refer to praying the Rosary we are talking about praying 5 decades though - true?

For example, if someone were told to pray the Rosary as penance would that be understood as 5 decades?

Paul,

That makes sense. The Full Rosary is still 15 Decades. The 5 Decades of the Luminous Mysteries can be added on optionally.

Fifteen, but you can do the five Luminous if you are so inclined.

Coder,

The Rosary is 5 Decades. However, there are holy people that pray the
full 15 decades. The Pope, Padre Pio and Mother Theresa come to mind.
I have enough trouble trying to finish the 5 decades every day.

It makes sense to me that the Luminous Mysteries are optional. I was thinking
that a holy and devout person could pray 15 decades of the Rosary and still not
be finished. I was also wondering why the Pope would make the Rosary even more
difficult for those that had enough trouble as it was.

I feel much better now.

40.png
epower:
Is the Full Rosary 15 decades or 20 decades?

I know that there are 5 Joyful Mysteries, 5 Sorrowful Mysteries, 5 Glorious Mysteries and
5 Luminous Mysteries. All of the Catholic resources that I have seen refer to 15 decades of
the rosary. I was at the Padre Pio Shrine last weekend and it also referred to the 5 Luminous
Mysteries, and the 15 decades of the Rosary. I do not know if it is a mistake, or if there
are 15 decades or 20 decades in the Rosary.

Are the Luminous Mysteries Optional?
Do they substitute for the Joyful Mysteries?

I would appreciate any (name removed by moderator)ut. Thanks.
The Dominican Rosary now has 20 and the Franciscan Rosary still has 7.

40.png
Coder:
When we refer to praying the Rosary we are talking about praying 5 decades though - true?

For example, if someone were told to pray the Rosary as penance would that be understood as 5 decades?
That has always been the common understanding. You would be justified in assuning that.

The Pope just added like 5 more Joyful mysteries. 5 Mysteries of Jesus LIfe and birth on Earth. The Pasionists Monks we had growing up wore roseries with 15 decades. I often cant find time to say 5 when I need to.

Because Catholics are often accused of Praying to Mary over Love of God. I pray our Fathers in Decades of ten. When Needed I pray to Mary for a Happy DEath and in help with Satan who is busy in my nieghborhood. Mary is known for her strength in treading on the searpant.

What mystaries do the Franciscans say that only gives them 7?

I was taught the Rosay has 10 decades devided into 3 mystaries. A Rosary of 450 + beeds is to big to carry in a pocked or purse ( handbag) so we have a shorter Rosary but only for convenience.

I guess 15 decades is considered a full Rosary.
I do all four each day as a rule and if there is an additional special intention needed,I do another rosary and gear the particular mystery for the intention…usually it’s something very serious and I’ll do the Sorrowful Mysteries…When we were expecting our grandchild I did another Rosary of the Luminous Mysteries.

Do you find that you experience God’s love? I had a brief experience of God’s love on the way to work this morning. I was thinking about Mary and the Immaculate Conception mass yesterday. I think this experience of God’s love that we are confident can only come from God is what people need to experience. It’s truly amazing because it makes us realize how blind we really are in our daily lives to the full truth of what it means to be human. I.e. God really is real - it really is true that He became a man and it really is true that Jesus is the way!

40.png
epower:
… there are holy people that pray the full 15 decades. The Pope, Padre Pio and Mother Theresa come to mind …
You don’t have to be “holy” to pray the full 15 decades – 5 mysteries on the drive in to work; 5 mysteries on the drive home and 5 mysteries and 5 mysteries just before bed.

I’m one of the few people who doesn’t mind getting stuck in traffic jams or bumper to bumper traffic because it gives me the opportunity to prayer additional decades of the rosary.

40.png
Coder:
Do you find that you experience God’s love? I had a brief experience of God’s love on the way to work this morning. I was thinking about Mary and the Immaculate Conception mass yesterday. I think this experience of God’s love that we are confident can only come from God is what people need to experience. It’s truly amazing because it makes us realize how blind we really are in our daily lives to the full truth of what it means to be human. I.e. God really is real - it really is true that He became a man and it really is true that Jesus is the way!
I have to tell you that my devotion to the Rosary is what really helps me experience God’s Love… The is an Apostolate of mine that I took on a few years ago while I was going through a “conversion experience” where I truly experienced God’s Love in a very profound way…
Annunciata:)

40.png
Harland:

What mystaries do the Franciscans say that only gives them 7?

I was taught the Rosay has 10 decades devided into 3 mystaries. A Rosary of 450 + beeds is to big to carry in a pocked or purse ( handbag) so we have a shorter Rosary but only for convenience.
Does anyone know how he arrives at 450+ beads?

10 decades = 100

100 * 3 mysteries = 300? Not 450+

Sir Knight:
You don’t have to be “holy” to pray the full 15 decades – 5 mysteries on the drive in to work; 5 mysteries on the drive home and 5 mysteries and 5 mysteries just before bed.

I’m one of the few people who doesn’t mind getting stuck in traffic jams or bumper to bumper traffic because it gives me the opportunity to prayer additional decades of the rosary.
Makes me think of the time I missed the train in North Station in Boston…had a 3 hour wait…just kept praying the Rosary…I think I said about 9 that afternoon! ~ A ~:)

40.png
Coder:
Does anyone know how he arrives at 450+ beads?

10 decades = 100

100 * 3 mysteries = 300? Not 450+
Wait a minute…there are 59 beads on a rosary

5 decades of 10 each = 50
3 single Hail Mary’s
6 single Our Fathers

This does not count the Apostles’s Creed on the Crucifix and the Salve Regina on the medalion…or the final prayer after the Rosary
that means a total of 62 prayers times 3 sets of mysteries equals 186 prayers…plus another 62 equals some 248 total.

I love the new mysteries because they round out the meditation of the life of Christ, which is what the rosary is. In the course of the full 20 mystery rosary (which only really takes about 1 hour) I can meditate on the whole life of Christ. I love the way the Luminous Mysteries fill up the space between the Joyous & Sorrowful Mysteries. I think that His Holiness was led by the Holy Spirit to add them. GLORY BE TO GOD!
BLESSEDCHRISTMAS TOALL!!! 👍

Sir Knight:

I use the CD of the Mary Foudation Rosary. It’s great!
catholicity.com/
:gopray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back