How many decades are in the Full Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter epower
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Church Militant:
5 decades of 10 each = 50
3 single Hail Mary’s
6 single Our Fathers
Yes I understand but Harland (see above) said he was taught of 10 decades and 3 mysteries. Then he said 450+ beads and I have no idea how he arrived at that.

40.png
Bill_A:
Because Catholics are often accused of Praying to Mary over Love of God. I pray our Fathers in Decades of ten.
Don’t let heretics scare you away from the devotion in its traditional form. 🙂 A good book to read is Saint Worship and the Worship of Mary published by Sophia Institute Press.

Church Militant:
Wait a minute…there are 59 beads on a rosary

3 single Hail Mary’s
6 single Our Fathers

This does not count the Apostles’s Creed on the Crucifix and the Salve Regina on the medalion…or the final prayer after the Rosary
that means a total of 62 prayers times 3 sets of mysteries equals 186 prayers…plus another 62 equals some 248 total.
However, if you are saying the rosary of 20 decades you say the Apostles’s creed once and the final prayers once. I have never said the Salve Regina on the medalion but I do say the prayer from Fatima at each decade. So how many prayers there are might depend on our own traditions. If we were to go with only the traditional prayers, it would work out this way

plus 5 Our Fathers
times 3=165 times 4=220
3 single Hail Mary’s
single Our Father
The Apostle Creed and the Hail Holy Queen
171 or 226

Ann Cheryl:
However, if you are saying the rosary of 20 decades you say the Apostles’s creed once and the final prayers once. I have never said the Salve Regina on the medalion but I do say the prayer from Fatima at each decade. So how many prayers there are might depend on our own traditions. If we were to go with only the traditional prayers, it would work out this way

plus 5 Our Fathers
times 3=165 times 4=220
3 single Hail Mary’s
single Our Father
The Apostle Creed and the Hail Holy Queen
171 or 226
NUTS! I forgot about that… 😃 Thanks Sis!

Just a note to help prevent you from being sidelined in your love of Holy Mother Church: traditionalists sometimes are scornful of the Holy Father’s suggested five decades (Baptism, Cana, Proclamation, Transfiguration, Institution of the Eucharist). One of their arguments is that the Rosary is a ‘bottom-up’ devotion from the people, not from the top of the Church. There is something to that, but the Holy Father can help us to a deeper spirituality if he wishes. Another of their arguments is that the old number of Hail Marys corresponds to the number of psalms and is a kind of people’s psalter for those not living in religious orders and unable to pray the whole psalter every week or whatever. There is something to this too, but the Rosary is also our prayer to Mary that offers a meditative look at the mysteries of Our Lord and of Mary, and it cannot be true that it is offensive to meditate over the Baptism etc. of Our Lord. I think that by the time a traditionalist rejects the Luminous Mysteries, he is badly distracted by the bad theology that goes into being a traditionalist. For example, he may think that the Church has promoted error somewhere along the line, and believe it necessary to keep distance from any devotion promoted by the Chuch at this time. The Luminous Mysteries are a gift that we may freely embrace. Sometimes a little help from the top is a good thing for a devotion. So keep this in mind as you read online about the addition to the Rosary. And if you participate actively in your parish you will encounter the Luminous Mysteries most certainly: they are part of the overall Rosary. To reject them is to introduce into your prayer life sincere doubts about the Church: how could such doubts possibly be an aid to prayer?

If we pray the full 15 or 20 decades in one prayer period, we pray the Apostles’ Creed, Our Father, and three Hail Marys only once at the beginning of the 15 or 20 decades - true? We also pray the Hail Holy Queen only once at the end of the 15 or 20 decades - true?

In the course of the full 20 mystery rosary (which only really takes about 1 hour)
How do you do that?!? 🙂 Does it come with practice? I’ve been saying the rosary 4-5 times a week for the last 4 months, but it takes me a good 30-45 min to say one decade!

40.png
alyssa:
How do you do that?!? 🙂 Does it come with practice? I’ve been saying the rosary 4-5 times a week for the last 4 months, but it takes me a good 30-45 min to say one decade!
Do you mean to say five decades, or “one Rosary”? Anyway some people go really fast. It may be just as prayerful for them. The Blessed Virgin did appear to someone once, inviting her to slow down a mite. 🙂

It takes me 30-45 minutes too. I don’t know where the time goes! When I pray it in church it takes less time. Go figure.

40.png
alyssa:
Hi Alyssa,
If I pray the Rosary along w/ Mother Angelica on EWTN or Boston Catholic TV… it usally takes me 30 minutes.(one set of mysteries) When I pray on my own, it takes about 20 minutes for a Rosary…depends on how long I meditate.( If I pray a whole Rosary…ALL the Mysteries on my own…1 hour and 20 minutes )

Annunciata:)

My pastor told a story in a homily one time about a little boy.
The little boy came to a priest and told the priest that he could
only pray the Hail Mary and nothing else. The priest asked him
why this was so. The boy replied that it took him 2 hours to pray
the Hail Mary. The priest asked why it took 2 hours. The boy
replied that when he prayed the Hail Mary he thought about how
much Jesus and Mary loved us. He thought about how much Jesus
and Mary sufferred for us and our sins. The priest then replied
that it was perfectly ok to only pray the Hail Mary.

The point of the homily was that many times we rush through our
prayers without thinking about the words that we are praying.
My pastor said it does not hurt to slow down the saying of our
prayers a little bit.

I thought that it was a good homily with a valid point.

I know that when I pray the Rosary my thoughts get distracted.
When I notice this I will stop praying the decade, and start it
over. It usually takes 30-45 minutes to finish one Rosary.

Dear friend

As far as I am concerned there are now 20 decades to the Rosary. I pray on the first beads… on the cross the Sign of the Cross and full Creed not the shorter Apostles creed, then on the first bead I say the ‘Our Father’, three ‘Hail Mary’s’ and the ‘Glory be’ on the last bead, all of which is offered for the Pope’s intentions. Then I commence the decades, at the end of the every decade on the single bead I pray, ‘O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell and lead all souls to heaven especially those in most need of Thy mercy’ then the ‘Glory be’, then the ‘Our Father’, then commencing the next decade and so on until the first set of mysteries is completed. At the end of which I pray the ‘O my Jesus’ the ‘Glory Be’ and the ‘Our Father’, then ‘Hail Holy Queen’, ‘Prayer to St Michael the Archangel’, prayer to my ‘Guardian Angel’ and finally including the prayer of peace by St Francis ’ Lord make me a channel of your peace…etc’ . All of this is repeated in all 20 decades of the Holy Rosary.

I have absolutely no idea how many prayers this adds up to, nor do I care, it is not the amount it is the intention and contrite heart behind the prayers that matters! I have never timed myself either…it doesn’t matter how long it takes…even if there is only time to say one decade of the Rosary this is good…I never worry how long I have I just pray what I can in the time I have. I would say if said in reasonable time one mystery takes about half an hour. I like to say the Rosary slowly giving me time to meditate, one cannot meditate when saying the Rosary quickly. I like to pause at the name of Jesus in the Hail Mary in reverence to Him and to Our Mother who bore Him and gave Him her life.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you and those you love

Teresa

40.png
Teresa9:
I like to say the Rosary slowly giving me time to meditate, one cannot meditate when saying the Rosary quickly.
I hope you meant you can’t meidtate quickly. It takes me about 15 minutes for a rosary. Any longer and I would get distracted. I must admit that sometimes I concetrate on one decade and find I have finished the rosary. It doesn’t bother me and I am sure that it doesn’t bother Mary. Equally there are other times that the decade seems it will never end. I don’t think that one should care about the length but as you said it is the intention and contrite heart behind the prayers that matters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back