M
mustangbluegirl
Guest
I married my high school sweetheart after 6 years of dating (it wasn’t an easy 6 years with many split ups and I conceived a child with another during this time. ) We married 11 years ago. He took my son as his own from day 1. We have 4 sons of our own for a total of 5 boys between the ages of 2 and 14.
2 years ago while I was 8 months pregnant with #5 I was blindsided when he asked for a divorce. My heart felt as it had been ripped from my chest. I fought it. I hung on, prayed, pleaded and refused to divorce. Then i found he was having an affair with one of my friends and was “in love with her” Again, I held strong, prayed, refused to budge. He conceived a child with her which she aborted. (against my husbands wishes as he is pro life. Fathers have no rights it seems) He cried, begged and pleaded for me not to leave him. I didn’t. But he continued to play around with that relationship. He did a back and forth over a year. At some point we went to retrouvaille. I was in “couple” therapy from day one of his request for a divorce. He only went a few times. He has been back and forth… back and forth. In sept 2011 I had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized for 2 weeks. I tried separating twice… each time he would come begging me to return. Promising the world. Things would change. It would be different. And within a few months he was back to wanting a divorce. Each time I forgave him and opened myself up to him. Each time my heart was CRUSHED.
A month ago he once again said we HAD to get a divorce. Paperwork has been filed. We are living separate. I am trying to get my life and self esteem back on track.
I have been off of my anti depressants and anxiety meds now for 2 weeks and feel GREAT.
HOWEVER…
He is begging me to come back. To do Retrouvaille again. To start over. To make this work.
I have told him that IF I were to even consider it I have things I would require. HE would have to attend therapy, financial counseling classes, and we MUST make dialogue and prayer a PRIORITY. All of which he promises to do.
I love him. I do. We have almost 20 years together.
He used to be my best friend.
I know the bible says to forgive… 7 times 70?
But I am scared of the heartbreak again… if like every other time… he changes his mind.
I know the church’s view on divorce but even some of my more devout Catholic friends are saying no way. Don’t go back.
I … don’t know what to do.
Am I a fool if I go back?
2 years ago while I was 8 months pregnant with #5 I was blindsided when he asked for a divorce. My heart felt as it had been ripped from my chest. I fought it. I hung on, prayed, pleaded and refused to divorce. Then i found he was having an affair with one of my friends and was “in love with her” Again, I held strong, prayed, refused to budge. He conceived a child with her which she aborted. (against my husbands wishes as he is pro life. Fathers have no rights it seems) He cried, begged and pleaded for me not to leave him. I didn’t. But he continued to play around with that relationship. He did a back and forth over a year. At some point we went to retrouvaille. I was in “couple” therapy from day one of his request for a divorce. He only went a few times. He has been back and forth… back and forth. In sept 2011 I had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized for 2 weeks. I tried separating twice… each time he would come begging me to return. Promising the world. Things would change. It would be different. And within a few months he was back to wanting a divorce. Each time I forgave him and opened myself up to him. Each time my heart was CRUSHED.
A month ago he once again said we HAD to get a divorce. Paperwork has been filed. We are living separate. I am trying to get my life and self esteem back on track.
I have been off of my anti depressants and anxiety meds now for 2 weeks and feel GREAT.
HOWEVER…
He is begging me to come back. To do Retrouvaille again. To start over. To make this work.
I have told him that IF I were to even consider it I have things I would require. HE would have to attend therapy, financial counseling classes, and we MUST make dialogue and prayer a PRIORITY. All of which he promises to do.
I love him. I do. We have almost 20 years together.
He used to be my best friend.
I know the bible says to forgive… 7 times 70?
But I am scared of the heartbreak again… if like every other time… he changes his mind.
I know the church’s view on divorce but even some of my more devout Catholic friends are saying no way. Don’t go back.
I … don’t know what to do.
Am I a fool if I go back?