How much immorality is too much?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smswife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in the media and I can document everything I wrote. I don’t rely on nostalgia.

Immorality is a big problem today and don’t you dare suggest I don’t care about civil rights and other issues.

This was all planned and laid out in the 1960s. In a series of attacks, led by liers and deceivers within and without the Church, we have come to this point as a nation

Adultery is now no big deal. Sex and the City portrays Female Chauvenist Pigs. And that is the feminist way to get even with men? To act in the same piggish manner?

Women are degraded far more than they had ever been in history. In the 1950s and 1960s, women without anything on appeared in magazines. And even then, certain areas were airbrushed away. Then the perverts and sexual deviants started adding men to the pictures and soon after, they were having sex.

It’s gone too far. I’m not buying a lot of publications because of the hyper-sexualization of most media. I’m tired of looking at magazine covers on guitar magazines with scantily clad women on them. I have stopped buying a lot. I have stopped watching a lot. And, I’ve had to throw a few books in the trash for their unexpected trashy content. In one case, I had sent an e-mail to the author who begged off on some excuse. No more excuses.

I go to maybe two movies a year. Catholics, at least, should reject 90% of what passes for entertainment today. I suggest putting in your free time, if you have any, into pursuing things that are wholesome and Godly.

Peace,
Ed
Oh, I think you definitely rely on nostalgia. The Legion of Decency (I know all about them: does the name Joseph Breen ring a bell? he actually got an honorary Oscar) did not control Hollywood. It was a matter of the studios submitting to the MPAA for a rating. They agreed to submit to the Hays Office up until “The Man With The Golden Arm” (starring Frank Sinatra) and movies like that. If you’re not relying on nostalgia, then I’m sure you know all about the double standard of the Legion of Decency giving the wink-wink ok to the native topless nudity in “Hawaii” but declaring “The Pawnbroker” poisonous to the soul. They were hypocrites. Surely you can concede some degree of hypocrisy with their decisions? The Howard Hughes biopic “The Aviator” contained a very accurate scene about studio heads arguing over the size of an actress’ breasts. What kind of pervert, particularly in that day and age, would be fixated upon an actress’ breasts when the actual movie in question was squeaky clean? It was insanity.

Immorality has always been a problem in America, not just now. Another poster commented how a good, clean, wholesome family sit-com featured the line, “One of these days, Alice, pow! Right in the kisser!” Like there’s something funny about hitting a lady.

If you don’t rely on nostalgia, then how do you account for the panic that Orson Welles’ radio broadcast of “War of The World” caused? People around the country were panicked and worried that we were going to be attacked by little green aliens? You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me. Seriously. People today are better educated than they were back then. There’s no question whatsoever about that.

The ‘good old days’ are here today, in 2010. We’ve never had it so good. 👍
 
Immorality is a big problem today and don’t you dare suggest I don’t care about civil rights and other issues.
Oh, I certainly don’t mean to suggest that, and please know that I’d be absolutely shocked if I suddenly discovered that you don’t care.

But that doesn’t change the fact that you belittled our nation’s progress on that matter. Sexual matters aren’t the only sins in existence. The United States culture in 2010 is no more immoral than the United States 1950s/early 1960s. The differences are that (a) certain sins are now openly acknowledged when they weren’t sixty years ago, though they still happened, and (b) there are different moral problems today.
Adultery is now no big deal.
This is just too much. Adultery is far less acceptable today than it was sixty years ago. You really don’t see this? Fornication is accepted today; adultery is frowned upon. Men - including the president of the United States - could get away with adulterous sexual activity far more easily sixty years ago than today. Not to acknowledge this is nostalgia.
I go to maybe two movies a year. Catholics, at least, should reject 90% of what passes for entertainment today. I suggest putting in your free time, if you have any, into pursuing things that are wholesome and Godly.
The great irony here is that I probably agree with you de facto. I rarely watch TV, and when I do, much of the time I become disgusted.
 
Oh, I think you definitely rely on nostalgia. The Legion of Decency (I know all about them: does the name Joseph Breen ring a bell? he actually got an honorary Oscar) did not control Hollywood. It was a matter of the studios submitting to the MPAA for a rating. They agreed to submit to the Hays Office up until “The Man With The Golden Arm” (starring Frank Sinatra) and movies like that. If you’re not relying on nostalgia, then I’m sure you know all about the double standard of the Legion of Decency giving the wink-wink ok to the native topless nudity in “Hawaii” but declaring “The Pawnbroker” poisonous to the soul. They were hypocrites. Surely you can concede some degree of hypocrisy with their decisions? The Howard Hughes biopic “The Aviator” contained a very accurate scene about studio heads arguing over the size of an actress’ breasts. What kind of pervert, particularly in that day and age, would be fixated upon an actress’ breasts when the actual movie in question was squeaky clean? It was insanity.

Immorality has always been a problem in America, not just now. Another poster commented how a good, clean, wholesome family sit-com featured the line, “One of these days, Alice, pow! Right in the kisser!” Like there’s something funny about hitting a lady.

If you don’t rely on nostalgia, then how do you account for the panic that Orson Welles’ radio broadcast of “War of The World” caused? People around the country were panicked and worried that we were going to be attacked by little green aliens? You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me. Seriously. People today are better educated than they were back then. There’s no question whatsoever about that.

The ‘good old days’ are here today, in 2010. We’ve never had it so good. 👍
Well said.
 
This country has never been completely moral and decent, but has given people the chance to better themselves and their families. Why else would so many illegal immigrants risk their lives to come here if that wasn’t the case?
As for your premise that Americans have “stolen the land”,our nation is the product of British colonialism. There have always been land grabs throughout the history of the world. Here are links to information on a couple of these:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Empire
religionfacts.com/islam/history/caliphs.htm
And this, about one of the granddaddys of them all, the Romans:
historylearningsite.co.uk/roman_empire.htm
People thought differently in those times. They saw the world as having infinite possibilities, if it could be conquered. I’m not saying this was the right attitude to have, but you can’t judge them by today’s standards.
As for the other part of your post,it was wrong for blacks to have to sit at the back of the bus and undergo other indignities in earlier times. You mention other minorities as well. But you haven’t mentioned Catholics or Irish in your post. Or don’t you know about the discrimination aimed at them (us) in former times?
Please accept my sincere apology for not including every single group of people that has suffered discrimination. I suppose I could list them all and even list the form of discrimination but that would mean about a 100 page post and I’d probably miss some.

In other words, my “failure” to discuss discrimination against Catholics and Irish (:irish1:☘️ :irish2: :irish3: :shamrock2: ) does not justify the discrimination experienced by any other group of people. But thank you for the opportunity to use those Irish emoticons. Weird that no other group has emoticons. Just the Irish…Are you Irish? Why the emphasis on the Irish? Why not Russian, German, Polish, Mexican, etc.?

It is true that people leave their home countries, sometimes at the risk of life or limb, to come to the U.S. Again, that does not justify discrimination against them even if it is less discrimination than they experienced in their native countries. Discrimination, bigotry, and racism are wrong!! Always, every time, and everywhere!! We shouldn’t have to accept “less” discrimination. We should accept nothing less than no discrimination.

I’m interested in your opinion that people thought differently in “those days.” I suppose that makes it OK that one of my ancestors believed he owned people whom he forced to work for him for no pay at all? I guess in a way he did own them as he bought them. But nobody can own another human being.

People thought differently. What you have written seems to me to be an acceptance of moral relativism. It doesn’t matter if people thought differently. Some things are always wrong!! Genocide, bigotry, hatred, discrimination, slavery - I don’t care when they happened or who thought differently. They are wrong and always have been.

I don’t care what Wiki says. “Our” nation (I assume you mean the U.S.) exists only partially because of British colonization. And it was wrong to kick the indigenous people who were already here off their land. How can you justify something like this? If it’s OK to move the indigenous people to land that nobody else wanted then it should be OK for the U.S. to become even more imperialistic than it is and take every piece of land it can.

:kissme:
 
Oh, I think you definitely rely on nostalgia. The Legion of Decency (I know all about them: does the name Joseph Breen ring a bell? he actually got an honorary Oscar) did not control Hollywood. It was a matter of the studios submitting to the MPAA for a rating. They agreed to submit to the Hays Office up until “The Man With The Golden Arm” (starring Frank Sinatra) and movies like that. If you’re not relying on nostalgia, then I’m sure you know all about the double standard of the Legion of Decency giving the wink-wink ok to the native topless nudity in “Hawaii” but declaring “The Pawnbroker” poisonous to the soul. They were hypocrites. Surely you can concede some degree of hypocrisy with their decisions? The Howard Hughes biopic “The Aviator” contained a very accurate scene about studio heads arguing over the size of an actress’ breasts. What kind of pervert, particularly in that day and age, would be fixated upon an actress’ breasts when the actual movie in question was squeaky clean? It was insanity.

Immorality has always been a problem in America, not just now. Another poster commented how a good, clean, wholesome family sit-com featured the line, “One of these days, Alice, pow! Right in the kisser!” Like there’s something funny about hitting a lady.

If you don’t rely on nostalgia, then how do you account for the panic that Orson Welles’ radio broadcast of “War of The World” caused? People around the country were panicked and worried that we were going to be attacked by little green aliens? You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me. Seriously. People today are better educated than they were back then. There’s no question whatsoever about that.

The ‘good old days’ are here today, in 2010. We’ve never had it so good. 👍
Radio had to be tested for its psychological wafare potential. At the time of the War of the Worlds broadcast, most people in the United States lived on farms but that did not automatically mean they were poorly educated. Two of the most intelligent women I know were farm girls. And prior to the end of the 1960s, more people trusted the Federal government. And with good reason.

People today are better educated? Where? Have you seen the numbers for dropouts? Do you know the current illiteracy rate? And young people are more interested in playing video games and dreaming about being highly paid athletes.

I hated that guy on the Honeymooners. We never watched it. And yeah, he lost his temper but he always kissed his wife after. He could be a crabby guy but he didn’t hit no ladies. Certainly not his wife.

You have to face the following facts about the United States:

Who legalized graphic pornography and opened so-called Adult Bookstores in the 1970s?
Who legalized Swinger magazines with ads offering adultery and fornication?
Who legalized topless bars and strip clubs?
Who legalized abortion?

All of this happened in the 1970s and the sexual deviants and perverts put all their filth in our neighborhoods to encourage us to roll around in the same mud they did.

Catholics were not responsible. And when we did protest, they yelled: Leave us alone! Mind your own business! First Amendment! Censorship! We’ve got lawyers to fight people like you!!

It Has Gone Too Far, and I encourage all Catholics to reject it. Do what is wholesome and Godly.

Peace,
Ed
 
Oh, I certainly don’t mean to suggest that, and please know that I’d be absolutely shocked if I suddenly discovered that you don’t care.

But that doesn’t change the fact that you belittled our nation’s progress on that matter. Sexual matters aren’t the only sins in existence. The United States culture in 2010 is no more immoral than the United States 1950s/early 1960s. The differences are that (a) certain sins are now openly acknowledged when they weren’t sixty years ago, though they still happened, and (b) there are different moral problems today.

This is just too much. Adultery is far less acceptable today than it was sixty years ago. You really don’t see this? Fornication is accepted today; adultery is frowned upon. Men - including the president of the United States - could get away with adulterous sexual activity far more easily sixty years ago than today. Not to acknowledge this is nostalgia.

The great irony here is that I probably agree with you de facto. I rarely watch TV, and when I do, much of the time I become disgusted.
Oh boy. I hope you can tell the editors of the Detroit News that their Classifieds category titled Wild Hearts openly offers this type of thing, and I hope you can tell them their advice colmnist told a man trapped in a “loveless marriage” to get his sex elsewhere.

They apparently are unaware.

Peace,
Ed
 
I do hope you are going to provide the documentation you said you have. I’m especially interested in that quote from the ACLU.

You are going to provide documentation, aren’t you?

I sure hope so!! 🙂
 
Oh boy. I hope you can tell the editors of the Detroit News that their Classifieds category titled Wild Hearts openly offers this type of thing, and I hope you can tell them their advice colmnist told a man trapped in a “loveless marriage” to get his sex elsewhere.

They apparently are unaware.

Peace,
Ed
You know… I often think the ONLY difference between today and yesteryear, is that we are more open about the reality of lack of morals. We thrust it out into the open for all to see. And quite frankly, I think it might be the ONLY way to take any sort of sense of decency back. We have to acknowledge that people act like trash and have been acting like trash for a very, very long time. And well I suppose if you hang out in an out house long enough you can eventually stand the stink. But OMG! Let’s get the hell out of here!

Men have been getting their sex elsewhere since the beginning of time. They just didn’t discuss it in polite company. Instead, they quietly brought their diseases home in their 3 pc. suits to their wives in dresses…

Presidents could have blatant affairs with actresses that changed their names and bleached their hair… She could even show up to a HUGE event… and sing… Happy Birthday…Mr. President… and oh wasn’t that charming… No one DARED put him on a stand and asked him if he was womanizing every female he met… I guess he had to prove that he wouldn’t let his faith rule the country, best shown by his willingness to break at least one Commandment.

Today, we put the Pres. on the stand while while terrorist groups plan to attack us… and we quiz him about cigars and blue dresses. And OMG… she was at a big event too. Only she offered a more discreet hug. Frankly, I think they were both equal in their pigdom.

Joan Crawford was the most glamourous child abuser of all times. I mean you just don’t see child abusers in evening gowns with perfectly coiffed hair anymore.

And Sean Connery seems the most sophisticated womanizer in the world… as Mr. Bond…

I truly Loved Lucy. But her husband… Oh God Help me. Was the most annoying, self centered creature on the earth. But we all know they were the start of trash on tv, being the first couple ever shown in the same bed.

But it was Hitchcock that Dialed M for murder… and who opened the Bates Motel… It’s only bad editing that has a dead woman swallow while lieing in a pool of blood.

Ed, I’m afraid it was YOUR generation that introduced the trash we see now adays. YOUR generation that raised a generation looking to TOP THAT…

You say: As kids in the 1960s, we were taught… Well in the 10’s we still teach… respect your elders. We also have to teach them to tell there elders NO, when their elders want to touch them inappropriately, No bad words. but also no MEAN words. (Charlie Brown… everyone is a Stupid, block head… WHAT???) We have to teach 2nd grade math to kindergarteners. We have lists of appropriate attire for public school that go on for 2 pages. Kids sadly quit thinking their parents are smarter than them, when their parents can’t help them with 5 grade homework. It’s not a far stretch. Dating still means zero sex. But, we also acknowledge that not everyone sticks to that… same as your generation. We teach our children to educate themselves in college. Don’t go and get married at 20… WHO DOES THAT??? No idea how much guilt and shame a person should carry with them… is there a specific percentage to teach… hmmm… hadn’t thought of that.

Not saying that things can’t change HUGELY for the better. But if you look at who is running the world right now… It’s YOUR generation… Those raised in the 60’s. You don’t like Sex and the City, But it’s written by a woman raised in the 60’s, and produced by a man raised in the 60’s… How is that possible? If your generation is ever so wholesome. Much of what you complain about is the result of your generational choices… Your generation never would have elected a black man as a president. But your generation raised him. And Our generation and more importantly the children of today’s generation has a big ol’ mess to clean up! While your generation pretends to have nothing to do with how we got here… Way to pass the buck.
 
porn epidemic:

Peace,
Ed
Ok… Everyone… One name that stands for Porn… Anyone?

How about Hugh Hefner… Born 1926… A man from the time of no bad morals… Hmmm… How is that?

What about Larry Flynt - born 1942… A main of the 50’s & 60’s the most wholesome era of time… Brings us Hustler, and Larry Flynt Productions. (when print is just not enough…)

The pigs have been out there for a VERY LONG TIME… Pigs breed Pigs… No era has ever been free of them… May the cute little pigs, with their culry q tails forgive me the comparison.
 
Ed, I’m afraid it was YOUR generation that introduced the trash we see now adays. YOUR generation that raised a generation looking to TOP THAT…
Bingo-! Thank you for pointing out the irony. As the “baby boomers” start retiring, it’s important to remember who it was who turned out those low-moral boomers. “Teach your children well?,” to quote a song from the boomer era. Sounds like a lot of those boomers’ parents * could have done a better job installing morals in their children. Faithfully is absolutely correct: it’s disingenuous to blame Generation X, Generation Y, the Millenials, etc., as we’re not the ones who screwed up our nation’s morals.*
 
Please accept my sincere apology for not including every single group of people that has suffered discrimination. I suppose I could list them all and even list the form of discrimination but that would mean about a 100 page post and I’d probably miss some.
In other words, my “failure” to discuss discrimination against Catholics and Irish (:irish1:☘️ :irish2: :irish3: :shamrock2: ) does not justify the discrimination experienced by any other group of people. But thank you for the opportunity to use those Irish emoticons. Weird that no other group has emoticons. Just the Irish…Are you Irish? Why the emphasis on the Irish? Why not Russian, German, Polish, Mexican, etc.?
It is true that people leave their home countries, sometimes at the risk of life or limb, to come to the U.S. Again, that does not justify discrimination against them even if it is less discrimination than they experienced in their native countries. Discrimination, bigotry, and racism are wrong!! Always, every time, and everywhere!! We shouldn’t have to accept “less” discrimination. We should accept nothing less than no discrimination.

I’m interested in your opinion that people thought differently in “those days.” I suppose that makes it OK that one of my ancestors believed he owned people whom he forced to work for him for no pay at all? I guess in a way he did own them as he bought them. But nobody can own another human being.

People thought differently. What you have written seems to me to be an acceptance of moral relativism. It doesn’t matter if people thought differently. Some things are always wrong!! Genocide, bigotry, hatred, discrimination, slavery - I don’t care when they happened or who thought differently. They are wrong and always have been.

I don’t care what Wiki says. “Our” nation (I assume you mean the U.S.) exists only partially because of British colonization. And it was wrong to kick the indigenous people who were already here off their land. How can you justify something like this? If it’s OK to move the indigenous people to land that nobody else wanted then it should be OK for the U.S. to become even more imperialistic than it is and take every piece of land it can.

:kissme:
If you really took the time to read my post instead of having so much emoticon fun, you’d see that I actually agree with you that bigotry is wrong. I don’t think anyone should have to sit at the back of the bus because of their race or ethnicity.
As to discrimination against the Irish you’re apparently in the dark, so here’s a link:
xroads.virginia.edu/~ug03/omara-alwala/irishkennedys.html
And here’s another one:
kinsella.org/history/histira.htm
As for kicking indigenous people off their land, that’s exactly what happened to the Irish. They were starved out by the British and so came here to survive.
If you’re not native American, your family came over here as well and took some of the land. Are you saying it’s time to give it back?
Please explain what you mean by saying America is “imperialistic”.
 
Oh boy. I hope you can tell the editors of the Detroit News that their Classifieds category titled Wild Hearts openly offers this type of thing, and I hope you can tell them their advice colmnist told a man trapped in a “loveless marriage” to get his sex elsewhere.

They apparently are unaware.
I’m in my early twenties, and I guarantee you that my generation does indeed frown on adultery. Here are each of my points individually:

(a) Specific examples from either of us don’t, of course, demonstrate societal trends. But I’ll bet you I can provide a least one example on this matter for every one of yours. In fact, my observation on the fornication/adultery flip is not actually my observation. An older person offered the observation, and her point stuck with me as my experience corroborated the contemporary end of her observation.

(b) Here’s another example for you: I’m in graduate school, and there’s a student in one of my classes who’s very sarcastic about life, human sexuality, etc. and really does seem - unwittingly, of course - to support a culture of utility and death. I’ve heard him mock pregnancy, for example. And he certainly has no problem with fornication. But even he considers adultery morally unacceptable.

(c) My White House example, while not a reference to ordinary citizens, is nonetheless a verifiable example that you can’t deny. President Kennedy seemed to get away with affairs quite easily. Bill Clinton’s infidelity, on the other hand, led to a chain of events so extreme that he got impeached and tarnished his whole presidency’s image. People even thought that Hillary should have left him.

(d) An example from popular culture: in the tv show LOST that recently ended, adultery was never a good thing. It was presented as a horrible, destructive mistake (in the case of numerous married couples: Sun and Jin, Jack and Sarah, Goodwin and Harper…)

So yes, we have a healthier, more moral perspective on adultery today.
 
Ok… Everyone… One name that stands for Porn… Anyone?

How about Hugh Hefner… Born 1926… A man from the time of no bad morals… Hmmm… How is that?

What about Larry Flynt - born 1942… A main of the 50’s & 60’s the most wholesome era of time… Brings us Hustler, and Larry Flynt Productions. (when print is just not enough…)

The pigs have been out there for a VERY LONG TIME… Pigs breed Pigs… No era has ever been free of them… May the cute little pigs, with their culry q tails forgive me the comparison.
As this is a world-wide forum I would like to add a few names of people who lived during the “Time of No Bad Morals”:

Here is a list of some mass murderers (defined as having murdered more than ten people), some from the U.S. and some from other parts of the world:

1927 USA 22 Earl Nelson
1928 USA 21 Carl Panzram
1944 France 27 Marcel Petiot
1948 Japan 12 Sadamichi Hirasawa
1949 USA 13 Howard Unruh
1958 USA 11 Charles Starkweather
1964 USA 13 Albert DeSalvo
1966 USA 16 Charles Whitman
1973 USA 27 Dean Corll
1973 USA 10 Edmund Kemper
1973 USA 13 Herbert Mullin
1978 USA 22 Ted Bundy
1979 USA 33 John Wayne Gacy
1981 England 13 Peter Sutcliffe
1983 USA 200 Henry Lee Lucas
1986 USA 14 Patrick Sherill
1986 Colombia 28 Campo Elias Delgado
1987 England 16 Michael Ryan
1987 USA 16 Ronald Gene Simmons
1989 Canada 14 Marc Lepine

I don’t know about the dates given. I don’t know what they mean. And I don’t want to get too far into that site. But it did state the following:

“The USA, with around 6% of the worlds population, spawns more than three quarters of all serial killers, and records confirm a staggering increase. Between 1900 and 1959, each year would produce on average, 1.7 new cases. Through the 1960’s the figure grew to five a year, and by 1980 it had tripled. By 1990, it was 36 per year - which averages out to three a month, and represents a rise of 940% in the space of just three decades. The FBI have estimated that, by the millennium, serial murders could be claiming an average of 11 lives a day.”

fortunecity.com/roswell/hammer/73/

[all bolding added]

So there were people murdering people well through the sixties. The sixties also gave us the Cuban Missile Crisis and as I have stated before, segregation. As the above quote indicates, things may be getting worse. But it may also be true that the people who are murdering innocent persons in the eighties and nineties were born and grew up in the sixties - a decade when “there were no bad morals.” Immorality was prevalent during the sixties as it has been during every other decade since the beginning of mankind.

There is more. A whole lot more. The world has always been filled with immoral people. There is no “Time of No Bad Morals.”
 
If you really took the time to read my post instead of having so much emoticon fun, you’d see that I actually agree with you that bigotry is wrong. I don’t think anyone should have to sit at the back of the bus because of their race or ethnicity.
I read your post very carefully and did note the above. But I didn’t have “much emoticon fun.” It only lasted about a minute. That’s not much fun. But yes, I did enjoy being able to use those emoticons, provided by CAF, for the first time.
As to discrimination against the Irish you’re apparently in the dark, so here’s a link:
xroads.virginia.edu/~ug03/omara-alwala/irishkennedys.html
And here’s another one:
kinsella.org/history/histira.htm
I’m sorry and I do mean this in the kindest way (and I’m serious) but I’m not going to check out any of your links. I’m not interested in what appears to me to be your emphasis on discrimination against the Irish. Just about every group in the world has suffered discrimination. And as I stated before, it would take a 100 page post to list them all and then I would probably have missed some.

I’m not in the dark about discrimination against the Irish. Of course it happened! It still does! But why you insist on my discussing the Irish is quite confusing to me. Discrimination against the Irish is wrong, just as it is wrong when Jewish people suffer discrimination and German people experience discrimination and African people experience discrimination. I’m not going to get into this with you. I’m not required to list every single group of people who have suffered discrimination. I gave what are called examples and never claimed that the groups I mentioned were the only groups who have suffered discrimination. OK?
As for kicking indigenous people off their land, that’s exactly what happened to the Irish. They were starved out by the British and so came here to survive.
See above response.
If you’re not native American, your family came over here as well and took some of the land. Are you saying it’s time to give it back?
Please explain what you mean by saying America is “imperialistic”.
What makes you think I even live in the U.S. or am a U.S. citizen? But even if I’m not, I still have the right to discuss my opinion about U.S. politics and its imperialistic attitude. Do I think it’s time to give the land back? No. But I believe that the federal government of the U.S. has gone too far with its requirements for native tribes to prove they are in fact native tribes. Tribes have banded together to become “confederated tribes” in order to receive what they deserve.

If the U.S. took land away from the sovereign nations that existed here, that is imperialism. And if the U.S. feels this is appropriate I think the U.S. must think it’s appropriate to do it to not just the indigenous peoples stuck on reservations but everyone else. IMHO the U.S. federal government sticks its nose into other countries’ affairs quite too often.

If you wish to discuss U.S. imperialism further I suggest you start a new thread.

Oh, one more thing: :kissme:
 
You know… I often think the ONLY difference between today and yesteryear, is that we are more open about the reality of lack of morals. We thrust it out into the open for all to see. And quite frankly, I think it might be the ONLY way to take any sort of sense of decency back. We have to acknowledge that people act like trash and have been acting like trash for a very, very long time. And well I suppose if you hang out in an out house long enough you can eventually stand the stink. But OMG! Let’s get the hell out of here!

been getting their sex elsewhere since the beginning of time. They just didn’t discuss it in polite company. Instead, they quietly brought their diseases home in their 3 pc. suits to their wives in dresses…
  • snip -
Today, we put the Pres. on the stand while while terrorist groups plan to attack us… and we quiz him about cigars and blue dresses. And OMG… she was at a big event too. Only she offered a more discreet hug. Frankly, I think they were both equal in their pigdom.

Joan Crawford was the most glamourous child abuser of all times. I mean you just don’t see child abusers in evening gowns with perfectly coiffed hair anymore.

And Sean Connery seems the most sophisticated womanizer in the world… as Mr. Bond…

I truly Loved Lucy. But her husband… Oh God Help me. Was the most annoying, self centered creature on the earth. But we all know they were the start of trash on tv, being the first couple ever shown in the same bed.

But it was Hitchcock that Dialed M for murder… and who opened the Bates Motel… It’s only bad editing that has a dead woman swallow while lieing in a pool of blood.

Ed, I’m afraid it was YOUR generation that introduced the trash we see now adays. YOUR generation that raised a generation looking to TOP THAT…

You say: As kids in the 1960s, we were taught… Well in the 10’s we still teach… respect your elders. We also have to teach them to tell there elders NO, when their elders want to touch them inappropriately, No bad words. but also no MEAN words. (Charlie Brown… everyone is a Stupid, block head… WHAT???) We have to teach 2nd grade math to kindergarteners. We have lists of appropriate attire for public school that go on for 2 pages. Kids sadly quit thinking their parents are smarter than them, when their parents can’t help them with 5 grade homework. It’s not a far stretch. Dating still means zero sex. But, we also acknowledge that not everyone sticks to that… same as your generation. We teach our children to educate themselves in college. Don’t go and get married at 20… WHO DOES THAT??? No idea how much guilt and shame a person should carry with them… is there a specific percentage to teach… hmmm… hadn’t thought of that.

Not saying that things can’t change HUGELY for the better. But if you look at who is running the world right now… It’s YOUR generation… Those raised in the 60’s. You don’t like Sex and the City, But it’s written by a woman raised in the 60’s, and produced by a man raised in the 60’s… How is that possible? If your generation is ever so wholesome. Much of what you complain about is the result of your generational choices… Your generation never would have elected a black man as a president. But your generation raised him. And Our generation and more importantly the children of today’s generation has a big ol’ mess to clean up! While your generation pretends to have nothing to do with how we got here… Way to pass the buck.
From the following list, please indicate which ones the Catholics were responsible for:

1960 The Pill.

1968 Sexual Revolution. “Off the pigs!” (Kill the police!), “We’ll burn this country down if we have to!” “Don’t trust anybody over 30!” “I don’t need no piece of paper ta live with my old lady.”

1970s Adult Bookstores open everywhere selling graphic images of prostitutes. (We protested.)
Adult movie theaters. (We protested.)
Topless bars and strip clubs (we’re still protesting.)

Swinger magazines offering adultery and fornication.

1973 The Supreme Court finds penumbras and emanations in the Constitution legalizing abortion on demand. In 1972, women appear on TV begging us to have compassion on women who they said were dying in back alley abortions. “Please,” they said. “Have compassion!” The numbers of women they said were dying was a lie. They also implied that this would be a “use in case of emergency only” procedure. It wasn’t.

1978 “Sisters! Throw off the chains of your oppression!” The National Organization for Women drove a wedge of fear and mistrust between men and women that continues to this day. And who put them up to this? They were not solution oriented.

Gloria Steinem co-founded Ms. Magazine (yes, that’s where that word came from), which started monthly publication in 1978.

1980s Porn on cable. They never told us beforehand. A Catholic idea?
No-Fault Divorce completed its sweep of the country, A typical classified: “No kids? $75 and you’re out. Call 800-DIVORCE.”

Meanwhile, Hollywood was presenting divorce as a good thing as opposed to the family destroying tragedy it was. I watch Sue Ellen on Dallas drinking liquor out of the bottle while driving. Just a few years before, such things WERE NOT ALLOWED on TV. Catholics were pushing this? Oh, and George Michael was yelling I Want Your Sex on the radio which was BANNED in parts of this country and England.

1990s Into the abyss. I’m hearing filth on the radio, rap and Howard Stern.

And all of this was caused by people demanding filth: Larry Flynt, Frank Zappa, and other “artists” who insisted on profanity on record albums, for example. Who insisted on “freedom.” We were stifling their creativity they said. They insisted it get worse and worse.

Do you know about www.fcc.gov? Guess what? You can report obscenity on the radio and TV to them. I have.

Peace,
Ed
 
From the following list, please indicate which ones the Catholics were responsible for:

1960 The Pill.
Actually, sad to say, it was a Catholic doctor who invented the Pill - it was promoted as a “natural” form of contraception, in which drugs induce the conditions required in Natural Family Planning. (It prevents female ovulation.)

According to Malcolm Gladwell in What the Dog Saw, he was very surprised that the Church rejected his idea.
 
Bingo-! Thank you for pointing out the irony. As the “baby boomers” start retiring, it’s important to remember who it was who turned out those low-moral boomers. “Teach your children well?,” to quote a song from the boomer era. Sounds like a lot of those boomers’ parents * could have done a better job installing morals in their children. Faithfully is absolutely correct: it’s disingenuous to blame Generation X, Generation Y, the Millenials, etc., as we’re not the ones who screwed up our nation’s morals.*

Quick. What did Catholics do to open Adult Bookstores, Strip Clubs, Topless Bars?

How about Abortion on demand? No-Fault Divorce? The Catholic Church encouraged this?

And seminaries in the 1970s? Infiltrated by wrong teaching about artificial birth control? There were dissidents in the Church as well.

Thanks to the efforts of Pope John Paul II and now, Pope Benedict, things are turning around.

Of course, the pagan media and anti-theists hate this but that’s where it’s going.

Peace,
Ed
 
I read your post very carefully and did note the above. But I didn’t have “much emoticon fun.” It only lasted about a minute. That’s not much fun. But yes, I did enjoy being able to use those emoticons, provided by CAF, for the first time.

I’m sorry and I do mean this in the kindest way (and I’m serious) but I’m not going to check out any of your links. I’m not interested in what appears to me to be your emphasis on discrimination against the Irish. Just about every group in the world has suffered discrimination. And as I stated before, it would take a 100 page post to list them all and then I would probably have missed some.

I’m not in the dark about discrimination against the Irish. Of course it happened! It still does! But why you insist on my discussing the Irish is quite confusing to me. Discrimination against the Irish is wrong, just as it is wrong when Jewish people suffer discrimination and German people experience discrimination and African people experience discrimination. I’m not going to get into this with you. I’m not required to list every single group of people who have suffered discrimination. I gave what are called examples and never claimed that the groups I mentioned were the only groups who have suffered discrimination. OK?

See above response.

What makes you think I even live in the U.S. or am a U.S. citizen? But even if I’m not, I still have the right to discuss my opinion about U.S. politics and its imperialistic attitude. Do I think it’s time to give the land back? No. But I believe that the federal government of the U.S. has gone too far with its requirements for native tribes to prove they are in fact native tribes. Tribes have banded together to become “confederated tribes” in order to receive what they deserve.

If the U.S. took land away from the sovereign nations that existed here, that is imperialism. And if the U.S. feels this is appropriate I think the U.S. must think it’s appropriate to do it to not just the indigenous peoples stuck on reservations but everyone else. IMHO the U.S. federal government sticks its nose into other countries’ affairs quite too often.

If you wish to discuss U.S. imperialism further I suggest you start a new thread.

Oh, one more thing: :kissme:
First of all, the fact that you drop bombs about discrimination, bigotry, and imperialism in the US and then won’t bother to read any links concerning another point of view is pretty weak.
I only mentioned the Irish because discrimination against them (when the majority of them came over to my country, the US), happened back in the 1800s, when all the events you’ve sighted occurred with the Indian tribes. And it’s also when the blacks were slaves.
This is the 21st century. Many things have changed over the years. The US now has a black president. While racism hasn’t been entirely eradicated, we’ve come a long way. If you don’t live in the US, maybe you’re not aware of this.:rolleyes: If you follow the “news” from liberal media outlets, you’re probably still not aware of this. The racism card has been played too often.
What country do you live in? I’m only asking because I’d like to know what kind of government is more to your liking. I’d like to know what surpasses the US by so much.
I realize all of this is off topic, but you’re the one who’s brought it up in post after post.
 
Quick. What did Catholics do to open Adult Bookstores, Strip Clubs, Topless Bars?

How about Abortion on demand? No-Fault Divorce? The Catholic Church encouraged this?

And seminaries in the 1970s? Infiltrated by wrong teaching about artificial birth control? There were dissidents in the Church as well.

Thanks to the efforts of Pope John Paul II and now, Pope Benedict, things are turning around.

Of course, the pagan media and anti-theists hate this but that’s where it’s going.

Peace,
Ed
Ed… MY POINT to you was that you keep going on and on about your generation, and how your generation is the only one that had good manners, respected there parents… and it’s today’s generation that is so degraded. Could you please point me to the area of any of your posts, or post # where you differentiate between Catholics and your generation. I’m sorry I missed that…

Of course the Catholic CHURCH has never endorsed any of this…

Are their “Catholics” that have done awful things…You’ll notice the “priests” that committed the most disgusting of betrayl… aren’t a bunch of younin’s… Nope they’d be from the 50’ and 60, and 70’s…

My point is… the trash that we witness today has been cooking for some time now. IT has not just appeared. Today’s society is a direct result of yesteryear’s societies behavior. And if you’re well enough to walk I don’t care if your 5 or 95… WE ALL have to take back commen decency. Hopefully it’s not too late.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top