You know, I’m not going to name names, but there are* certain people* who frequent this site that frustrate me beyond belief… I mean, really… I tried to turn off the computer and walk away on this, but my knees felt shaky just thinking about
certain people here.
How much immorality is too much, OP? Simple. If you get that gut feeling that it’s wrong, then turn it off.
Buuuut, now for some more specific things…
“I think a reasonable person can get a gut feeling whether a classic good-versus-evil story is glamourizing the evil. And that includes an awful lot of what’s out there these days.”
From what I have read of Sailor Kenshins other posts, I’d say their views on what counts as “glamorizing” evil are very… off. So, to address them on something… Just because something puts any focus on the villain, just because something makes you care about the villain, does NOT mean it’s saying the said villains actions are righteous.
Whatever happened to “love the sinner, hate the sin”? Why can we not apply this to fiction and such aswell?
1950s and 1960s. There were words that could not be said on television.
Words are words. While I’m not too big a fan of using the Lords name in vain, everything else is not as horrible and vile as the world makes it.
Go back far enough in the english language and most profanity is common place. It only became profanity later in history,
only because it was viewed as the vulgar language of peasants.
- Keep your radio tuned to a Catholic station.
Now that’s just silly.
If they are going to make TV shows about lovable serial killers…
So, on this note…
My favorite fictional character is a murderer who keeps his deceased mothers and sisters organs in jars, talks to said organs, has an unhealthy fixation on his father, and his half brother, and hates pretty much everyone.
I like him because if he hadn’t been crushed, psychologically abused, and convinced from a young age that nobody could ever love him, then he wouldn’t be such a monster.
See… I don’t condone this characters behavior… I pity them.
The person who wrote this character didn’t say “Hey, what he’s doing is great, everyone be like him”… The writer showed him to be tortured, unstable, and in horrible emotional pain.
Once again, what is so wrong with applying “love the sinner, hate the sin” to fictional media?
I’d rather have a three dimensional human being, than a one dimensional monster.
- Computer games? I was recently shown one where a character pauses to have an off-screen sexual encounter with a woman he just passed. And the purpose of this is what?
Yes, of course, ban those two, because
all computer games are obviously of a pornographic nature.
- Magazines? Anything with a woman wearing next to nothing on the cover. Anything.
Well, ****, there goes National Geographic…
- The internet? Hoo boy. Where to start?
You realize how hypocritical this sounds, correct?
- Books? Sad to say, I’ve had to throw a few in the trash recently, and I’m a big reader. It seems that it’s OK now to add pointless sexual references to historical books. In one case, about half the book.
Now, by sexual references to you mean… Acknowledging that sex existed way back when as it does now… Or by sexual reference do you mean porn?
Because there’s a large difference between the two, and I do with you’d clarify.
But anyway, quoting aside… I’m surprised you two have leave your houses each day.
Okay, I gotta say… I feel terrible right now… I don’t like fueling these same old ridiculous debates, but
really now…