How much immorality is too much?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smswife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll have to tune in. I’m only 21, was not raised Catholic, and I’m an EWTN junkie! “Journey Home”, “LIfe is worth Living”, “For God so loved the world”, “Life is worth living”, “Father Corapi”. These programs occupy most of my DVR recording space. My non-Catholic siblings and non-Catholic mother find it amusing and somewhat strange.:confused:

E-veryone
W-atch
T-his
N-etwork 😛
👍 Keep watching.You’re being drawn to the message of the truth on EWTN. Even if you’re not Catholic you can be encouraged to be a better person just by listening to what’s said in all the great programming on this station. Don’t give it up, even if other people think it’s odd that you’re interested in it.
 
👍 Keep watching.You’re being drawn to the message of the truth on EWTN. Even if you’re not Catholic you can be encouraged to be a better person just by listening to what’s said in all the great programming on this station. Don’t give it up, even if other people think it’s odd that you’re interested in it.
Thank you livnlern! “LIfe is worth living” has made me wonder, why isn’t Fulton Sheen as famous as Billy Graham? I adore that program even though my brother laughs and says that Sheen’s vestments make him look like Dracula. That boy has no respect. Thank you and I will continue to watch.
 
Billy Graham did a lot of stadium and auditorium events, and he was relatively loud and dramatic, so I think the media was drawn to him. Fulton Sheen is like an uncle to me, patiently and with some humor, trying to explain some aspect of Church teaching in a way that’s easy to understand.

God bless,
Ed
 
I don’t mind raucous or vulgar humor every once in a while. In my opinion, South Park and Family Guy both fit that bill.

But as much fun as South Park pokes at ‘Christians’, they really leave Christianity alone. And, in my opinion, it’s okay to make fun of Christians, because sometimes we deserve it. Family Guy, on the other hand, I find that they go a step beyond, and actually take a stand on (against) Christianity itself.
 
Just to be clear, whats wrong with ads for sanitary pads? Are women supposed to be ashamed of menstruation? :confused:
Men and children really don’t need to see them. Parents can create their own opportunities for conversations with their daughters about these things - we don’t need our television sets to do this for us.
 
Men and children really don’t need to see them. Parents can create their own opportunities for conversations with their daughters about these things - we don’t need our television sets to do this for us.
Is there shame in this simple biological function? The same shame the early church put on the Eastern Othrodox prior the Great Schism to seat women on one side, men on the other?

Is Biology scary to believers when it comes down to something like sanitary products for women? I can understand medications that go against the catholic belief system as being offensive. But, this?

Ohh, scary scary blood!

Unclean!!!
 
Men and children really don’t need to see them. Parents can create their own opportunities for conversations with their daughters about these things - we don’t need our television sets to do this for us.
You do realize, you sound just like the uneducated fishermen disciples of Jesus who were trying to keep the children from Him, blessed be He.

Jesus did not advocate ignorance of biology.
 
Re: South Park and religion. I have seen episodes in which Jesus is a character in the show. I consider the way He is presented there blasphemy which is why I don’t watch that show. I think Family Guy has done the same.

Re: sanitary pad ads on TV. I have two sons age 8 and 10. OF COURSE I am going to explain the facts of menstruation to them but I am not ready to do that now. I would rather they didn’t see ads for sanitary products but I don’t have a huge problem with it.

Interestingly, I find that on the other hand the media does a remarkably good job of keeping the truth of the Santa Claus myth from EVER coming out in commercials, TV shows, movies, newspapers, etc. that children are likely to see. Not sure what that means . . .
 
Is there shame in this simple biological function? The same shame the early church put on the Eastern Othrodox prior the Great Schism to seat women on one side, men on the other?
There is a reason that we put doors on bathrooms - just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it has to be on public display.

And sorry, Strawberry, but I just don’t see keeping private things that belong in the bathroom private, as in any way similar to forbidding the little children to come and be blessed by Jesus - what people have to do in the bathroom when they are having their period bears absolutely no resemblance to Jesus. :rolleyes:
 
There is a reason that we put doors on bathrooms - just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it has to be on public display.

And sorry, Strawberry, but I just don’t see keeping private things that belong in the bathroom private, as in any way similar to forbidding the little children to come and be blessed by Jesus - what people have to do in the bathroom when they are having their period bears absolutely no resemblance to Jesus. :rolleyes:
I am sorry you tried to pull a bait and switch here.

Divine Liturgy or Holy Mass is Never Private. So explain why the women are on one side, because of their unclean state, and the men on the other in the Eastern Rites.
Feel free to review the wording of my post prior to your reply.

edit to add:

you feel that women should stay in the bathroom during their cycle?

Can they come out of the bathroom to eat, sleep or go to Mass or Divine Liturgy? Even if only on one side of the church?
This proves Eve was an equal to Adam?
 
Um…getting back to the OP and the original question, it seems like in every TV show and movie I watch the Lord’s name is used in vain. This occurs at an alarming rate. And it’s used almost as an epithet instead of as the name of our God. His name is holy and we seem to have forgotten that. How many times has someone yelled “Jesus Christ!” in an action movie, and you know they certainly weren’t praying when they said it.:mad:
People have become desensitized to that and a lot of other things that are commonly said and done in movies and on TV. Our Lord must be saddened by this.
 
I am sorry you tried to pull a bait and switch here.
:confused: The topic of the thread is, what is okay to watch on TV. The subject of advertising women’s hygiene products came up, and I was responding to that.
Divine Liturgy or Holy Mass is Never Private. So explain why the women are on one side, because of their unclean state, and the men on the other in the Eastern Rites.
Feel free to review the wording of my post prior to your reply.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand. As far as I know, the segregation occurred regardless of whether the women were having their periods - it was a long time ago, in a completely different culture and world-view.
edit to add:
you feel that women should stay in the bathroom during their cycle?
:rolleyes: NO, obviously - that’s why hygiene products were invented, in the first place - so that women wouldn’t have to do that. Which is also why it’s nobody’s business, what goes on in a lady’s bathroom when the door is shut - and it certainly doesn’t need to be televised.

That was my only point. 🙂
 
Is there shame in this simple biological function? The same shame the early church put on the Eastern Othrodox prior the Great Schism to seat women on one side, men on the other?

Is Biology scary to believers when it comes down to something like sanitary products for women? I can understand medications that go against the catholic belief system as being offensive. But, this?

Ohh, scary scary blood!

Unclean!!!
I get kinda uncomfortable during them. 🤷
But not as bad as the vigra ads. :eek:
are there that many impotent people in America??? :confused:
 
Hate to keep this topic of topic, but really, I see nothing wrong with advertisements for tampons and pads and ****.

Heck, as someone pointed out, I’d rather hear about that than about viagra.
But really… Why are they uncomfortable? It’s not like they go into detail.

And as for the subject of them not being something a child should see:
The kids gonna see them in the bathroom cupboard, for goodness sake.
You’ll have to explain what they are sooner or later. :rolleyes:
 
And as for the subject of them not being something a child should see:
The kids gonna see them in the bathroom cupboard, for goodness sake.
You’ll have to explain what they are sooner or later. :rolleyes:
My mother has all kinds of things in her cupboards that I’ve never thought of asking about. 🤷

I don’t think you have to explain what they are, until the child actually needs to use them.
 
Is there shame in this simple biological function? The same shame the early church put on the Eastern Othrodox prior the Great Schism to seat women on one side, men on the other?

Is Biology scary to believers when it comes down to something like sanitary products for women? I can understand medications that go against the catholic belief system as being offensive. But, this?

Ohh, scary scary blood!

Unclean!!!
Your statement shows a deep seated animosity to certain ideas. Television had standards in the 1960s. A gentleman would appear on TV and talked to viewers directly. He told them that the Standards and Practices Department watched everything we watched to make sure it was suitable for the entire family. They set the standard before we knew that anybody did. There have always been limits based on taste and discretion. Certain products were properly regarded as personal and therefore, advertising for them was properly excluded.

We had standards that were soberly arrived at regarding the time, place and situation for the discussion of certain personal and private matters. The words clean and wholesome and appropriate meant something. It was properly considered inappropriate to discuss matters of female hygiene around boys, much less on a public television program or commercial.

Modest, clean and wholesome were words we lived by. It was polite, it was considerate and it was proper.

God bless,
Ed
 
You do realize, you sound just like the uneducated fishermen disciples of Jesus who were trying to keep the children from Him, blessed be He.

Jesus did not advocate ignorance of biology.
You become stressed out about certain things. Where is biology mentioned in the Bible? I thought it was not to be regarded as a science book.

Peace,
Ed
 
Our family has limited TV time to EWTN. If it isn’t Catholic based we don’t watch it. I have a hard time watching Fox News anymore due to the sexualization of the news.
Once in a while we watch something on the History Channel or Nat Geo, but that is the extent of our TV viewing.
Reading is the same way.
Unfortunately even the “History” Channel goes way off the deep end far too often! And don’t even mention all of those Viagra commercials and such during prime time! :(:mad:
 
My mother has all kinds of things in her cupboards that I’ve never thought of asking about. 🤷

I don’t think you have to explain what they are, until the child actually needs to use them.
I’m just saying, IF the kid were to be curious and wonder what those are, then they’ll ask eventually.

I’m not saying you should sit your little kid down and randomly start telling them about feminine hygiene… I’m just saying that if a kid DOES wonder what they are, then they might ask about it. And, whether it’s on TV or in the house, they’re probably going to see them before they ever need to use them.

So commercials for them aren’t really doing any damage, in that regard.
 
I’m just saying, IF the kid were to be curious and wonder what those are, then they’ll ask eventually.
Or assume they’re something else, and start misusing them (I once knew someone whose toddler son thought that her tampons were toy rocket ships - not sure how she handled it, but I’m pretty sure she didn’t get into the birds and the bees with him. :rolleyes: )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top