G
Gorgias
Guest
In another thread, truthseekerjay and I have been discussing a number of really interesting issues. I’m hoping that Jay will come to this thread and explain it himself, but in one of his posts, he said:
truthseekerjay:
So, here’s the question: inasmuch as none of us can love God as perfectly as He loves us, just how much, exactly, do we need to love God in order to be saved? Conversely, how little can we love God and still be saved? Is it possible that, just by doing the things that Jesus wishes of us – being baptized, receiving sacraments, etc – in the expectation that these things really do work (or, as Jay mentions it, having our parents lead us in that direction), we might be saved? Or, on the other hand, as Jay sees it, is this simply an emotionless exercise in ‘rule following’ that will have no effect?I’ve tried to show you how neither I nor my parents had any love for Jesus, but you somehow think there is love. I understand that perfect love doesn’t have to be present, but the “kernel” of love that you mentioned doesn’t seem to be present for us either. To me, if there is no love FROM US, then it just comes down to rule following and checking things off a list similar to what you would do if a judge gave you a fine. Maybe we should first discuss the kind of love that has to be present because as of right now, it seems like the interactions with God that my parents and I had were very businesslike, with no concern for God.