E
EasternWestern
Guest
edited
Yeah, “do better” physically. But as I said, in my past experience, the “hot” ones were also nuts. This is my dilemma.Well…you have to realize that physical attractiveness fades with time. Fortunately, in a solid relationship, growing love and respect fill in the space that physical attractiveness vacated.
Having said that, I have to give you credit for acknowledging the fact that it’s a big deal to you, and that you feel that you could “do better.” Do this lady a favor and let her move on.
Why only try the “hot” ones and the ones with whom you have no physical attraction at all? I personally don’t like “hot chicks” either. I like “cute” or “sweet” looking girls. The ol’ “girl next door”, you know? Maybe you need to seek out a happy medium.Yeah, “do better” physically. But as I said, in my past experience, the “hot” ones were also nuts. This is my dilemma.
Indeed. Since this is an important issue for you, it would not make for a good marriage without her changing.I agree with BettyBoop. You obviously can see all of her wonderful qualities, but you can’t seem to get past her weight. If you consider it that big of a turn off then by all means let her go.
Your guy is very blessed to have someone like you, I think!I have no good advice sorry! but I see the attractiveness in being overweight. Of course I do know it is not healthy and I actually can love my man in a slimmer size… I guess I just love him to bits. That’s all I’m going to say since I don’t want to be improper heh
Okay, I’d like to address the bolded points.There is a woman that I am going out with romantically, and here’s my problem. I am not that physically attracted to her (she is overweight, by 50-60pounds), but she seems perfect for me in every other way. She is extremely bright and talented, successful, kind, compassionate, giving, a Catholic, (we attend a beautiful church on the East Coast) prayerful, affectionate, a good cook, non-materialistic, and the list goes on. We share many of the same interests and values. She seems like she could be the perfect spouse. We started off as “just friends”, but she wanted more. I eventually thought I’d give it a try. We just connect so well.
But…the physical attraction isn’t as strong as I’d like it to be. This is driving me crazy. A part of me says, “sorry, buddy, physical attraction is such an important part of the equation that if it isn’t there, it’s a dealbreaker.” Then the other side of me says, “Are you NUTS?? A woman this wonderful, with all her attributes, who understands you and your idiosyncrasies so well, and who is so incredibly attracted to you is RARE. Don’t be so superficial and pursue this. You could be squandering the opportunity of a lifetime.”
This woman is a gem, but gosh-darned it, her appearance is a turn-off. I hate to admit it, but when we are in public, I have the “I could do better” feeling, because I am quite fit. In the past I’ve had woman who were more attractive, but they were selfish or immature.
IF she could lose the weight it would be ok, but 60 lbs is a long way to go. She is aware of her need to lose weight, and acknowledges that she has an unhealthy relationship with food. She said she is trying, but also knows she may not be successful, and asked me whether I could still love her regardless. She also said that weight is a VERY serious issue with her. And yes, I love her, but that doesn’t mean that I should pursue her in the role of a potential marriage partner.
And by the way, we have kissed, and she is a great kisser too!
Usually it’s the women who can look past physical attraction (“so what if he’s bald/fat—I love him for his heart!”), but I think it’s harder for guys.
I’d bet there will be some great responses for this thread…you guys are always so insightful. I look forward to your (name removed by moderator)ut.
Thanks for your reply, and all the replies so far.Okay, I’d like to address the bolded points.
1.) The whole “when we’re in public” thing is problematic in my opinion because it speaks volumes about your own insecurity. It seems to me that if you are feeling this way in public, you are afraid of what people might think of you and you have no qualms about shunting your girlfriend under the bus so to speak, in favor of how you believe society views her. No matter who your girlfriend is, you should be proud to show her off in public and you shouldn’t let people’s pettiness get in the way of your relationship.
2.) The fact that she’s trying to lose the weight shows you that she cares about health. She sounds like a wonderful person who was given this cross to bear in life. No one is perfect, and if this issue really bothers you, you have a couple of options. You could break up with this girl, but just know that if that’s the case, she deserves better. You could try and join a gym with her, or maybe just eat healthful foods. You know, it’s difficult to lose weight because for the most part, it is caused by emotions. If she’s feeling your reluctance to become close with her because of her weight, this could in turn, drive her to eat more for depression/anxiety. The least you could do is be supportive of her, not only with encouraging comments, but by actions. Understand that this issue is one of the most difficult ones, and that she’s trying her best. She’s only human, and again, no one is perfect.
3.) The fact that you say she’s a good kisser shows that there is some attraction on your part. Bottom line is that if you truly care about someone, something this trivial shouldn’t matter. Especially if that person is as great of a catch as you have said that this girl is.
I can only speak for myself. Yes I was saying let her go for her sake, not yours. Although in the long run if you did marry her I wonder if it would work b/c you don’t accept her as she is now. I said let her go b/c it isn’t fair to let her think there may be something deeper than it is at this time. If I was seeing someone I would have wondered if I was seeing you.I think when people are replying “let her go”, they are saying it for her sake, not mine.
I think, and this isn’t meant to be rude, she’s too good for you and you need to let her go find someone who isn’t ashamed to be with her. Maybe you could find someone like her who is just kind of homely instead of fat, and that will not be a big turn off for you. I think your honesty in this matter is highly commendable.And yes, I love her, but that doesn’t mean that I should pursue her in the role of a potential marriage partner…
Well, of course. In fact, if you break up with her and she says “this is about my weight, isn’t it?” this is how you should reply: “Jenny, if I’m the kind of guy who couldn’t accept you because you don’t look like someone else, then I’d be the one who needs to change, not you. If anybody ever says he accepts all of you except this part or that part, then he’s the one who needs to go. Let him go wise up, and don’t look back. He’ll be the one that needs to lose the baggage, not you. If he doesn’t, then you’re better off finding somebody with better eyesight.”I think when people are replying “let her go”, they are saying it for her sake, not mine.