How often must we forgive our enemies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alitaptap
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alitaptap

Guest
Peter once asked Jesus, “Lord when my brother wrongs me, how often must I forgive him? Seven times?”

“No,” Jesus replied, “not seven times; I say, seventy times seven times (Mt 18:21)

I know that Jesus Christ asks us to strive to give our love not only to the poor and needy but to our enemies as well but why not ten times seven times, or one million times, or infinite?
 
At the time when Scripture was written, 7 had a very powerful meaning. 7 x 70 is meant to mean “As many times as is necessary,”
 
As many times as is necessary. How does one overcome his enemies’ hatred?

EDIT: @presidentjlh - Great minds think alike 😃
 
Peter once asked Jesus, “Lord when my brother wrongs me, how often must I forgive him? Seven times?”

“No,” Jesus replied, “not seven times; I say, seventy times seven times (Mt 18:21)

quote]

That would be 490 times, you’re at 489 and gettin on my last nerve!:eek:
😉
 
Peter once asked Jesus, “Lord when my brother wrongs me, how often must I forgive him? Seven times?”

“No,” Jesus replied, “not seven times; I say, seventy times seven times (Mt 18:21)

I know that Jesus Christ asks us to strive to give our love not only to the poor and needy but to our enemies as well but why not ten times seven times, or one million times, or infinite?
The numbers meant something very strong to the people of the day. Using the numbers he did to demonstrate meant that you should forgive them as many times as it is needed.

He also clarified it later in the Lord’s Prayer (the one he gave us) when he said “Forgive us our tresspasses, as we forgive those who tresspass against us.”

Basically, we should forgive others as many times as we want God to forgive us. I personally could use an infinite amount, so I will try to be sure I give that amount to others! 😃
 
At the time when Scripture was written, 7 had a very powerful meaning. 7 x 70 is meant to mean “As many times as is necessary,”
Can you find evidence in the Bible or any document which shows that seven is a powerful number than other numbers to support your answer?
 
Can you find evidence in the Bible or any document which shows that seven is a powerful number than other numbers to support your answer?
How about:

Seven Churches of Asia (in Revelations)
Seven Churches of Rome (the main churches for pilgrimage in ancient times)
Seven Councils (first seven eceumenical councils for both eastern and western churches)
Seven Deacons (first seven helpers ordained by the Apostles)
Seven Gifts (of the Holy Spirit)
Seven Sacraments (you know them already)
Seven Words of Christ (last words spoken by Christ on the Cross)
 
How about:

Seven Churches of Asia (in Revelations)
Seven Churches of Rome (the main churches for pilgrimage in ancient times)
Seven Councils (first seven eceumenical councils for both eastern and western churches)
Seven Deacons (first seven helpers ordained by the Apostles)
Seven Gifts (of the Holy Spirit)
Seven Sacraments (you know them already)
Seven Words of Christ (last words spoken by Christ on the Cross)
satisfied. 👍
 
As many times as is necessary. How does one overcome his enemies’ hatred?

EDIT: @presidentjlh - Great minds think alike 😃
Do I need to forgive those who apparently deserve no forgiveness?
 
As many times as we want God go forgive us. See Matt. 6:14-15.

DaveBj
 
In sensus plenior, seven means complete, seventy is the complete dual-natured man which is Christ.

When Jesus said “seven times seventy” it was to be a reminder to them of how completely they were forgiven by Christ on the cross.

If your sins against God are greater than another’s sins against you, and you have been completely forgiven by God, then you are able to completely forgive others.

If you are unable in your own strength to forgive another, then you forgive them with the complete forgiveness of the Son.
 
Peter once asked Jesus, “Lord when my brother wrongs me, how often must I forgive him? Seven times?”

“No,” Jesus replied, “not seven times; I say, seventy times seven times (Mt 18:21)

I know that Jesus Christ asks us to strive to give our love not only to the poor and needy but to our enemies as well but why not ten times seven times, or one million times, or infinite?
we must never stop forgiving them. God will judge the wicked and send them to hell if they are unforgiving, in the meantime while here on earth our job is to continue to forgive indefinitely.

God bless,
Cashue
 
Gen 4
23 Lamech said to his wives: “Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; you wives of Lamech, hearken to what I say: I have slain a man for wounding me, a young man for striking me.
24 If Cain is avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy-sevenfold.”
Lamech is a sign of increasing sin. He is the ‘anti-Enoch’ Enoch who walked with God and was taken up.
Enoch is a sign of increasing holiness and Cain’s decendant lamech is a sign of increasing sin. Jesus uses the words of this man of sin to signify how much we must forgive.
 
Do I need to forgive those who apparently deserve no forgiveness?
Who are you to judge another? I thought that was God’s place. What makes a person not deserving? Regardless, the Word says forgive so that’s what you have to do.
 
Peter once asked Jesus, “Lord when my brother wrongs me, how often must I forgive him? Seven times?”

“No,” Jesus replied, “not seven times; I say, seventy times seven times (Mt 18:21)

I know that Jesus Christ asks us to strive to give our love not only to the poor and needy but to our enemies as well but why not ten times seven times, or one million times, or infinite?
we are always to forgive. always. once we forgive, we are not to bring it up again. once a wrong is forgiven, then that is it. we move on.
 
1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
Ro 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Since all Satan can do to you will work together for your good, and since he cannot tempt you beyond what you can bear, what is there to forgive him for?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top