How often should we go to confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Judef
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Judef

Guest
Hello Everyone,

I am a practising catholic. Once while making a confession the confessor told me to have confession every month. I like the suggestion but my Parents do not encourage the idea and tell me that once in 3 months is enough. I feel a bit guilty here, should i take my parents advise or how often do you think should we go for confession on a practical level.
 
Hello Everyone,

I am a practising catholic. Once while making a confession the confessor told me to have confession every month. I like the suggestion but my Parents do not encourage the idea and tell me that once in 3 months is enough. I feel a bit guilty here, should i take my parents advise or how often do you think should we go for confession on a practical level.
Why are they against you going to confession more often? If you have no mortal sin confession is not necessary but you can get grace from confession to overcome habitual venial sins
 
St. Pope John Paul II recommended once a month.

Many of the great saints would go once a week.

It depends how much you want to grow in your relationship with God. Confession is a substantial help on the path to holiness.
 
I would explain to my parents that the priest suggested it.
Do you need a ride? See if there is confession offered before Masses, that way it’s not an extra trip.
God bless you,
 
In my opinion, once every 3 months is too rarely and once a month would be the minimum for a good spiritual life.

Here is a video that suggests weekly confession, maybe it could help you make a decision about it: youtube.com/watch?v=8wxr5hemR7o
 
whenever you feel convicted. I do not know. Confession is good but I guess you should develop a plan to avoid near occasions of sin.
 
I agree that once a month is optimal. If I understand it correctly, the Popes go once a week. Or, at least St. Pope John Paul II did. I try to go about once a month. For years I made a point of doing so, but I’m not so good at keeping up with it these days. I know I need it, my attitudes towards certain things and people usually needs correcting. That’s not to say that every attitude is wrong. Just having a bad attitude can lead to sin. So, do an examination of conscience, and go to confession as often as possible.
 
I try to go every week to receive the spiritual graces of the Sacrament.
 
Frequent or monthly confession is great if available but confession is only necessary for mortal sins.
 
Forgot to add:

My parish only offers confession for one hour every week on a Saturday afternoon. Many people are turned away every week and are unable to receive the sacrament because there isn’t enough time. We’ve requested more confession times for years but our parish is very large and the priests are stretched thin. Therefore, I appreciate when people only go to confession when necessary and when they do I pray that they are very brief so others can receive absolution. Your situation may be completely different but it’s something to consider.
 
Thank you for all your suggestions. Finally i broke the barrier and have decided to go to confessions on a monthly basis
 
St. Pope John Paul II recommended once a month.

Many of the great saints would go once a week.

It depends how much you want to grow in your relationship with God. Confession is a substantial help on the path to holiness.
And Pope Francis recommends confession once a week, even if you just had venial sins, confessing those sins makes you grow in holiness. I go at least once a month, sometimes in two weeks.
 
St. Padre Pio said “Confession is the soul’s bath. You must go at least once a week. I do not want souls to stay away from confession more than a week. Even a clean and unoccupied room gathers dust; return after a week and you will see that it needs dusting again!”
 
Frequent confession is good, just as others have posted. Remember also to do a good confession-to be sincere, have true sorrow and regret and to specify the type of sin and number of times it was done 🙂 Have a good Lent
 
And Pope Francis recommends confession once a week, even if you just had venial sins, confessing those sins makes you grow in holiness. I go at least once a month, sometimes in two weeks.
Yes, it all depends…on various things.

I have gone on occasion more often than once a week because from time to time it is necessary. This life is a spiritual battlefield. When we get wounded, we need to ask for a medic as soon as possible so we can rejoin the fight.
 
There are no rules for frequency of confession, only simple guidelines. Obviously it will vary for everyone, but the best guideline would be “as often as needed”. If you are in mortal sin, then you should go as soon as possible (although in the case that you were judged by God for your sins while in a state of mortal sin, an intent to confess can often be factored as just as good as an actual confession).

I go to confession on a fortnightly/3-week basis. Funnily enough, someone from my church complimented me for attending confession so often. I smiled and told her that the need to confess more frequently is far from indicative of me being a good believer 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top