How should I make learning German fun?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheWiseMan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheWiseMan

Guest
Currently, I am in a middle of the summer break, and I will be in AP German when the 2014-2015 school year rolls along at my Catholic High School. I really, really, love German, because I seriously think it’s a beautiful language.

After reading a similiar thread, pertaining to Spanish on that thread, something just crossed my mind. How exactly should make my German learning experience greater?

Yes, I do read and speak in German. I even listen to music and watch movies in German, but I would like to find more ways to exercise my German.

Any suggestions or ideas would be accepted.
 
Currently, I am in a middle of the summer break, and I will be in AP German when the 2014-2015 school year rolls along at my Catholic High School. I really, really, love German, because I seriously think it’s a beautiful language.

After reading a similiar thread, pertaining to Spanish on that thread, something just crossed my mind. How exactly should make my German learning experience greater?

Yes, I do read and speak in German. I even listen to music and watch movies in German, but I would like to find more ways to exercise my German.

Any suggestions or ideas would be accepted.
Do you enjoy classical music? If so, Mozart has 8 operas in German as just an example. Hearing the language used in this manner might be fun for you. Or watching German Television on the internet.
Just some thoughts.
 
Do you enjoy classical music? If so, Mozart has 8 operas in German as just an example. Hearing the language used in this manner might be fun for you. Or watching German Television on the internet.
Just some thoughts.
Honestly, I never liked German TV…
 
If you like Harry Potter, you can find copies of the books translated into German. From the reviews the translation was well-done, so reading through them auf Deutsch is one option. I like to say I am studying German at Hogwarts. :lol: I personally enjoy watching German films, though the themes tend to be dark considering Germany’s tragic history. A favorite, though sometimes racy, is Das Leben der Anderern.

Once my German is in better shape, I am considering buying other books in series I like, in their German translations…like a Star Trek novel!
 
Kluger Mann, mach ein Urlaub in Deutschland oder Deutsch spechende Laender, wenn du es leisten kannst.
 
If you like Harry Potter, you can find copies of the books translated into German. From the reviews the translation was well-done, so reading through them auf Deutsch is one option. I like to say I am studying German at Hogwarts. :lol: I personally enjoy watching German films, though the themes tend to be dark considering Germany’s tragic history. A favorite, though sometimes racy, is Das Leben der Anderern.

Once my German is in better shape, I am considering buying other books in series I like, in their German translations…like a Star Trek novel!
I’ll think about it.
 
Kluger Mann, mach ein Urlaub in Deutschland oder Deutsch spechende Laender, wenn du es leisten kannst.
 
Ich besuchte schon Deutschland und Österreich, RosslynV. Im Jahre 2005.
„Entschuldigen Sie, bitte, mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale.“

Edit: I constructed this 30 years ago using a Langenscheidt’s dictionary. Turns out I had declined “Aale” incorrectly. :rolleyes:
 
„Entschuldigen Sie, bitte, mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale.“

Edit: I constructed this 30 years ago using a Langenscheidt’s dictionary. Turns out I had declined “Aale” incorrectly. :rolleyes:
:confused:

What are you talking about?
 
:confused:

What are you talking about?
“Excuse me please, my hovercraft is full of eels”.😛

I also am studying German for my Foreign Language Course at my university. I listen to German music, watch German TV and movies.
Only if she’s a Catholic…👍
I have to warn him. Most German Catholics come from the west and south of the country where they have a different dialect of German from the dialects of the north and east - which are predominantly Protestant.
 
“Excuse me please, my hovercraft is full of eels”.😛

I also am studying German for my Foreign Language Course at my university. I listen to German music, watch German TV and movies.

I have to warn him. Most German Catholics come from the west and south of the country where they have a different dialect of German from the dialects of the north and east - which are predominantly Protestant.
What I mean was that I never understood the purpose of what the other guy said.

As for your “warning”: why yes, I am entirely aware of the fact that German Catholics are from the Southern parts of Germany.
 
What I mean was that I never understood the purpose of what the other guy said.
He’s riffing on an old Monty Python sketch – a Hungarian tourist (John Cleese) has the most epically bad Hungarian-English phrasebook in existence, and he’s trying it out with a British tobacconist (Michael Palin). One of the phrases that he thinks means “how much are those cigarettes” actually is “My hovercraft is full of eels.”

A website, Omniglot.com, used the phrase in its online phrasebook, translating it into a ton of languages (including Sumerian!) here omniglot.com/language/phrases/hovercraft.htm

The sketch degenerates from there into innuendo, sadly, so I’m not sure I want to post alink to a video of it.
 
Video Games! I’m teaching myself Italian, and set the language in Civ V to it.
 
Deutsche Welle do a range of online/audio courses from beginners to advanced, all for free.

German’s ok but nowhere near as beautiful as the language of il “bel paese là dove 'l sì sona.” 🙂

Non è vero?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top