C
C794
Guest
So some of what I want to bring up are liturgical issues, but some are not and so I felt like this would be a better section to post this in.
Today I attended Mass at my home parish and I noticed some things that concerned me. Most of them were an extension of issues I complained about or had been bothered by. Still I felt like I should ask about these things.
First, it was announced that we’d be introducing a children’s liturgy. Now I heard of these and so I assume they are okay, but what I heard described seems wrong. The plan is to have the kids dismissed during the Liturgy of the Word. They will go to a room where a simpler version of the readings will be used and they will have time for reflection. Since volunteers were requested, I assume this will be lay run (a priest won’t do the reading or lead the reflection). Is this okay?
Secondly, I was looking through the bulletin and I saw an advertisement for the Intercommunity of Peace & Justice Center Cafes. Last spring an event they ran had been advertised in the bulletin. Since it was pro-gay marriage, Liberation Theology, women priests and anti priestly celibacy I knew the event was concerning. I complained about it to my pastor and he agreed that it was concerning. Since this organization seems to be established in multiple states, while the event was local (and I can’t find much about the organization.s specific beliefs minus a Catholic Culture review that gives it a red rating) I’d like to see if any of you know of it.
Lastly, are the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers a concerning organization.? I have heard some negative things and Catholic Culture gave a site by a similar name a red rating, but I’m unsure if the sites are related. When I type up the name in the bulletin I’m lead to this website: maryknollsociety.org/ and the review provides this link: home.maryknoll.org So in re-reading the review I think they may be refering to the same group, but I’d like some additional feedback. Here is the review: catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=2227&repos=2&subrepos=0&searchid=1173399
Today I attended Mass at my home parish and I noticed some things that concerned me. Most of them were an extension of issues I complained about or had been bothered by. Still I felt like I should ask about these things.
First, it was announced that we’d be introducing a children’s liturgy. Now I heard of these and so I assume they are okay, but what I heard described seems wrong. The plan is to have the kids dismissed during the Liturgy of the Word. They will go to a room where a simpler version of the readings will be used and they will have time for reflection. Since volunteers were requested, I assume this will be lay run (a priest won’t do the reading or lead the reflection). Is this okay?
Secondly, I was looking through the bulletin and I saw an advertisement for the Intercommunity of Peace & Justice Center Cafes. Last spring an event they ran had been advertised in the bulletin. Since it was pro-gay marriage, Liberation Theology, women priests and anti priestly celibacy I knew the event was concerning. I complained about it to my pastor and he agreed that it was concerning. Since this organization seems to be established in multiple states, while the event was local (and I can’t find much about the organization.s specific beliefs minus a Catholic Culture review that gives it a red rating) I’d like to see if any of you know of it.
Lastly, are the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers a concerning organization.? I have heard some negative things and Catholic Culture gave a site by a similar name a red rating, but I’m unsure if the sites are related. When I type up the name in the bulletin I’m lead to this website: maryknollsociety.org/ and the review provides this link: home.maryknoll.org So in re-reading the review I think they may be refering to the same group, but I’d like some additional feedback. Here is the review: catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=2227&repos=2&subrepos=0&searchid=1173399