How should We Pray for the Souls in Purgatory?

• Thread starter Thread starter PMV
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PMV

Are there any suggestions on how to pray for the souls in Purgatory? Does the Catholic Church have any specific official prayers for that situation? I know we’re supposed to pray for them to be released sooner basically, but what is a good example of a more in depth prayer for them?

The best way is to have Masses said for them. If you cannot do that, you ought to hear Mass for them (you should offer every Mass you attend for a personal intention, which, if you want to help the Holy Souls, should be for them). Now, as far as private prayer, I can suggest prayers from the Masses for the Dead:

uvoc.org/Holy_Souls/Holy_Souls.html

Those are the Masses for the Dead (there are three), according to the Traditional Latin Mass. You can really use all of the propers for prayers, but I would think the Epistle/Lesson, Gospel, and maybe the Preface would be least becomng. But, you can use what you will.

Here are some other prayers for those in Purgatory and for the dying:
PRAYER OF ST. GERTRUDE THE GREAT

O Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory and for sinners everywhere – for sinners in the universal Church, for those in my own home and in my own family. Amen.

(It is private revelation that 1000 souls are released from Purgatory every time this prayer is said.)

PRAYER FOR THE DYING

O Most Merciful Jesus, lover of souls, I pray Thee, by the agony of Thy most Sacred Heart, and by the sorrows of Thine Immaculate Mother, to wash in Thy Most Precious Blood the sinners of the whole world who are now in their agony and who will die today.
Heart of Jesus, once in agony, have mercy on the dying!
Amen

This website has some good prayers, as well:
home.flash.net/~oramus/nov_souls.html

The “De Profundis” mentioned on that site are the first words of Ps. 129, which in its entirety is: Out of the depths I have cried to thee, O Lord: Lord, hear my voice. Let thy ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication. If thou, O Lord, wilt mark iniquities: Lord, who shall stand it. For with thee there is merciful forgiveness: and by reason of thy law, I have waited for thee, O Lord. My soul hath relied on his word: My soul hath hoped in the Lord. From the morning watch even until night, let Israel hope in the Lord. Because with the Lord there is mercy: and with him plentiful redemption. And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

It may only be referring to the first part, though, which is from the Mass for the dead (the Introit): De profundis clamavi ad te, Domine: Domine exaudi vocem meam. De profundis clamavi ad te (Out of the depths I have cried to thee, O Lord: Lord, hear my voice. Out of the depths I have cried to thee.)

One day last month, I said the Ofice for the Dead for the sake of the souls in Purgatory. Thats one thing you can do. Or at least thats what I did.

May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

You know, the Bible does not teach anything on pergatory. Jesus never taught it, the apostles never taught it and it wasn’t even a doctrine or dogma until **593 AD Doctrine of Purgatory (Pope Gregory, 1439 Dogma, Council Florence) **

What do you think of a church that keeps you paying and paying to get loved ones out of a place that does not even exist?

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.

I also like to offer up things for the souls - like my little daily sufferings (muscle aches, pains, headaches, etc.).

Offering up Rosaries or decades of a rosary for the souls in purgatory is also a good way to pray for them. It was been said that apart from the Mass and the sacraments, nothing bestows upon us as many graces as the rosary.

When saying the rosary, I have an intention for each decade and one of those intentions is ALWAYS reserved for the forgotten souls in purgatory most in need of God’s mercey. Another decade is always reserved for our Pope so the Lord will bless him with health of mind and body so that he may continue to faithful lead Christ’s church here on earth.
40.png
redeemed1:
You know, the Bible does not teach anything on pergatory. Jesus never taught it, the apostles never taught it and it wasn’t even a doctrine or dogma until **593 AD Doctrine of Purgatory (Pope Gregory, 1439 Dogma, Council Florence) **

What do you think of a church that keeps you paying and paying to get loved ones out of a place that does not even exist?
The “Doctrine of Purgatory” was revealed to the church by the Holy Spirit of God.

The bible itself tells us that not all elements of the faith are to be found within it’s pages but it does tell us that the pillar of faith is the church and it also tells us that the church will be guided by the Holy Spirit of God and that the jaws of death will not overcome it.

If you believe in the words of Jesus, then why do you doubt the teachings of His Holy Spirit?

The most effacious act I think we can do is offer a plenary indulgence for a soul in Purgatory.

Peace and God bless! 🙂

Eric

Ask them to intercede for you.
They can pray for your parish, priest, bishop, education programs, ect…

Ask them to intercede for you. They can pray for your parish, priest, bishop, education programs, ect…

40.png
redeemed1:

It does exist and is in the Bible. Unfortunately, you as Protestants have cut out the parts of the Bible that do reference it, mainly the books of Maccabees.

Just because a doctrine of the Church was not formally defined until 593 does not mean it did not exist before that.

Thanks very much for the prayers; very helpful.🙂 If you say any prayers for the souls in Purgatory that you yourself just basically come up with, would they be effective too?

40.png
redeemed1:

Scripture does not say the word purgatory,nor does it sayTrinity,but it indeed teaches it. If you do more unbiased study in scripture you would know that. Instead you would prefer to try to resurrect Luther and use his same reationalization to pride.In the website you can get your scripture and verse from the new testament,that supports purgatory. If you try tolearn things instead of looking for something to condemn and make anti-catholic splices at us, your time would be spent more fruitfully.:blessyou:

40.png
jrabs:
I also like to offer up things for the souls - like my little daily sufferings (muscle aches, pains, headaches, etc.).
I do this too…
I also pray a Rosary–the Glorious Mysteries everyday for those Souls who don’t have anyone to pray for them and of course for all my deceased relatives,friends, etc. … we cannot presume that they are in Heaven. I know I would want people to continue to pray for my soul…:yup:
Annunciata:)

40.png
redeemed1:

Maccabees 12:43 And making a gathering, he twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection,

12:44 (For if he had not hoped that the that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,)

12:45 And because he considered that the who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. 12:46 It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.​

The word Bible isn’t in the Bible either.

40.png
Stephen-Maguire:
Maccabees 12:43 And making a gathering, he twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection,

12:44 (For if he had not hoped that the that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,)

12:45 And because he considered that the who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. 12:46 It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.​

The word Bible isn’t in the Bible either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back