How to accept the Authority of the Catholic Church

• Thread starter Thread starter CurtisHouse
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CurtisHouse

I am somewhere in the middle right now. I have left protestantism behind me. Mostly an independent Bible church (which is sort of like Baptist) and a church of Christ. I see the Truths of the Catholic Church and I know it’s right but I just can’t submit to it. I fall back into looking in my former protestant life but when you learn the Truth, you can’t unlearn it even when you try your hardest to deceive yourself. I’ve even tried to find loopholes such as the writings from St. Ignatius and such being forgeries. My faith is just so weak right now. I see the Truth and I can’t even accept it. I scour the internet looking for answers to disprove the Church and I know it’s wrong. Things are just so different in between protestant and Catholic churches. The Eucharist is what separates everything though. Either the Eucharist is completely God with His body, blood, soul and divinity or it is idol worship. I look at the early church fathers and know exactly how the disciples that were taught directly from the apostles believed but still I can’t fully. Just trying to be honest with myself so I can get to the root of my faith problems. Is there anybody that has been through this and any advice? I definitely need some. Hopefully this has made some sense. Just pouring out my feelings at this moment and being as honest and concise as I can without rambling on for pages. For all the mothers, and the Most Holy Mother, Virgin Mary, Happy Mother’s Day.

I’m praying for you right now, buddy.

It sounds like you have a defiant streak, but also that your faith is actually stronger than that trait.
That’s a pretty special gift.
I think it’s obvious that your faith in Christ is resolute and unwavering because if you were looking on the internet for ways to disprove God, I think you’d be able to successfully pull the wool over your own eyes.
It sounds like you’re just looking for ways to disprove the Truth of the Church? Does that sound right?

If so, my only question would be, “why?”
In my case I think it’s vanity or ego or just too high an opinion of my own ability to call the shots.
If that’s not your “why,” then this might not help you, but then let me it out for myself…

As a defiant person and a tendency toward self importance, I try to remember that the Church is here as a gift for me to work on my “surrender” muscle. That’s what I can give back to Jesus in gratitude, I guess.
There are things about the Church that I struggle with and that I am confused by, but while I work that out, I get to show Jesus my love for him by trusting his stance on the matter

while I figure it out. (through the Church he set forth and the succession of decisions made by it)

I submit and obey as best I can and try to thank
God for presenting me with challenge and the opportunity to offer my successes back to him.

I heard something the other day that went something like,
“The only thing you can give God that he does not already have is your gratitude.”

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. And when you have prayed all you cay Pray again.

Peace be with you!!!

I am somewhere in the middle right now. …
Catechism of the Catholic Church
154 Believing is possible only by grace and the interior helps of the Holy Spirit. But it is no less true that believing is an authentically human act. Trusting in God and cleaving to the truths he has revealed is contrary neither to human freedom nor to human reason. …

155 In faith, the human intellect and will co-operate with divine grace: “Believing is an act of the intellect assenting to the divine truth by command of the will moved by God through grace.” 27

27 St. Thomas Aquinas, STh II-II, 2, 9; cf Dei Filius 3; DS 3010.

Thanks for the prayers. Definitely appreciated.

Yes defiant streak would be a good way to put it. Sometimes it’s like I want to put God and all of Christendom into my own package so it’s more palatable for me. I know that it’s not about me though. Going away from that and what I’ve known in the past throughout protestantism and learning about the complete truth of Catholicism really takes some getting used to. It’s easier to go back into your safe space, as people like to say a lot nowadays, or the comfort zone.

Protestantism pretty much is built on trying to call your own shots. Things just seemed easier when I could say that everything that I need to know about God, Christianity and everything else can just be found in the Bible. God is so much bigger than that though. It’s crazy to think a person could ever try to contain God. We can try to contain our knowledge about God but that’s it.

I get confused about things in the church as well. I don’t get why the Priests, etc. need to wear such extravagant robes. I’m sure it all links back to tradition but God doesn’t care about what we’re wearing as long as you’re covering yourself up, ya know?

Then there is just trying to wrap my head around the Eucharist. Thinking about how God who created everything…The billions of billions of unexplored galaxies and every smallest organism on our planet can both be God and unleavened bread at the same time and, at the same instance, not being unleavened bread as well. I guess that is why it’s a mystery.

Surrendering to Jesus Christ completely is the hardest part. I think a lot of people like to say they do but, if they’re honest with themselves, they haven’t. We will always just be a work in progress and it’s inconceivably arrogant for some people to think that they know they are saved no matter what just because they believe. Demons believe and they shudder. Okay that’s enough for now. I’ve started rambling.

That’s a great saying at the end of your post. That’s something else I definitely need to work on. Take care.

When I was a Lutheran, at Seminary long before I became Catholic (25 years), I studied and wrote an exegetical paper on the Gospel of Matthew where I had inadvertently concluded the necessity of Apostolic Succession.
If you read closely, you will find that the Book of Matthew is not written to you (nor to anyone in 2019, nor to anyone in the first century).
The Book of Matthew is a set of descriptions: of Jesus and his fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies, of his calling and training of Apostles, of his offering of himself to his disciples and to his Father, and of his resurrection and commissioning of his Apostles to make more disciples by baptizing them and teaching them all he these Apostles.
Matthew does not call the reader to be a disciple, does not tell the reader to believe, does not tell the reader he is now born again, etc.

Who is the reader of Matthew? Who am I reading Matthew?
I found that I was like an outsider in hiding, peeking in on the inner conversations and doings of Jesus and his select followers. I could hear words that the crowds did not hear (due to parables) because I could listen in on their private conversations, and I saw that Jesus was giving those twelve people inclusion in his Kingdom. To them only, but I, by my reading, could not count myself as one of them; I could only read about them and wish, perhaps, that somehow I might be one with them, but not from my reading.

How then could I be a legitimate disciple?
Something strange happens at the very end of Matthew’s Book; he shows Jesus sending his Apostles out to make more disciples. They are to do this by baptizing the new disciples and teaching them to observe all he commanded to these Apostles (even things we never see written in the Book).
Aha; that is the way to join Jesus - he sent these eleven Apostles; I just need to find one of them in person, and I will ask and press and beg to be included, because they alone can include me and teach me.

They are all dead, but there is evidence of them commissioning others to carry on their Apostolic work.
And there is record of this commissioning today, from our Bishops and Pope all the way back to Peter, Paul, and the other Eleven. Legitimate inclusion in the fellowship of the Apostles and the Kingdom in the World but not Of the World (not established by the world, but established by Jesus who is from Heaven - we know where he is from, though the world thinks he is from Nazareth alone).

Legitimate Participation, legitimate teaching and interpretation. I desire what is really real, not presumption that “The Bible says it, so it is said to me.” I need one of those Apostles, sent directly from Jesus or sent directly from one of those Apostles, to talk in person to me.
Catholicism is an “In Person” thing; it is not a “process” nor a set of principles. Our doctrine is not doctrine because it is self-evident, but because the person delivering it to me has Authority, he is one Sent to me by my King. I will listen to the Lord’s Anointed.

John Martin

Having once walked in similar shoes, can I ask how long you’ve been in your Protestant church? I’m supposing there’s much more of an emotional tie and nostalgia going on here than anything. You’ve already got all the evidence that you need, otherwise, to make a move. You’re simply searching for the excuses not to… and that’s usually emotions - afraid to leave, fear of making a mistake, don’t want to leave people or childhood memories behind, etc. Been there. If I’m on the right track, I’m happy to keep discussing. If I’m wrong, you’ll be in my prayers, and forgive my mistake.

Our doctrine is not doctrine because it is self-evident, but because the person delivering it to me has Authority, he is one Sent to me by my King. I will listen to the Lord’s Anointed.
Nowadays my premise is that I believe everything the Church teaches is True, though I have not come to understand some of it yet, but when I ask and search I have never yet been disappointed in finding a full understanding of Church doctrine and Theology. I trust my Teachers and am being shown so much I can’t describe the riches. Things I did not understand, yet trusted were true, and now understand or know: Mary, purgatory, indulgences (still asking questions), Mass/Eucharist, Love, Virtue, Grace, Justification, Sin, Forgiveness, Purpose of the Church, Heaven and then Resurrection, etc.

John Martin

I am somewhere in the middle right now. I have left protestantism behind me. Mostly an independent Bible church (which is sort of like Baptist) and a church of Christ. I see the Truths of the Catholic Church and I know it’s right but I just can’t submit to it. I fall back into looking in my former protestant life but when you learn the Truth, you can’t unlearn it even when you try your hardest to deceive yourself.
Well said
40.png
CurtisHouse:
I’ve even tried to find loopholes such as the writings from St. Ignatius and such being forgeries.

My faith is just so weak right now. I see the Truth and I can’t even accept it. I scour the internet looking for answers to disprove the Church and I know it’s wrong. Things are just so different in between protestant and Catholic churches. The Eucharist is what separates everything though. Either the Eucharist is completely God with His body, blood, soul and divinity or it is idol worship. I look at the early church fathers and know exactly how the disciples that were taught directly from the apostles believed but still I can’t fully. Just trying to be honest with myself so I can get to the root of my faith problems. Is there anybody that has been through this and any advice? I definitely need some. Hopefully this has made some sense. Just pouring out my feelings at this moment and being as honest and concise as I can without rambling on for pages. For all the mothers, and the Most Holy Mother, Virgin Mary, Happy Mother’s Day.
Even Jesus own “disciples” had problems accepting what Jesus taught. Here’s an example Jn 6:41-66 RSVCE - The Jews then murmured at him, because - Bible Gateway

What was the problem? Why did they leave?
  1. They followed Him thus they were called “disciples”, but Jesus said they had no faith.
  2. Even within the 12, Judas was going to be a traitor.
Pray for the faith to believe in Our Lord’s Church that ONLY Church HE established. The Catholic Church

Acts 9:31 the church throughout all ἐκκλησία καθ’ ὅλης τῆς
ἐκκλησία = http://bibleapps.com/greek/1577.htm , ecclesia, Church
καθ’ = http://bibleapps.com/greek/2596.htm , Kata, accxording to
ὅλης = http://bibleapps.com/greek/3650.htm , Holos, the whole, universal
τῆς = http://bibleapps.com/greek/3588.htm ,
= the Kataholos Church = the Catholic Church.

Last edited:
or it is idol worship.
It can be very hard to unlearn something we have been taught for quite some time. Other denominations do view some Catholic practices as idol worship , mainly because they have no understanding of what is happening in a Sacrament.

You are fighting your previous learning , fighting to unlearn it and replace it with the truth. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You will get there. It takes time, and doubt is common.
But when you are doubting, remember the Apostle Thomas, he doubted Christ had risen until he saw for himself, and not just saw, but touched.

‘Whatever be the affair, enter with Moses into the tabernacle to ask advice of the Lord, you will sometimes hear the divine answer and return instructed in many things present and to come. For Moses always had recourse to the tabernacle for the solution of doubts and questions, and fled to prayer for support in dangers and the evil deeds of men. So you also should take refuge in the secret chamber of your heart, begging earnestly for divine aid.’ - The Imitation of Christ

It sounds like you need RCIA. Since your looking for ways to disprove the Catholic Church, that shows you might be tied emotionally to your church. I grew up protestant and looked for every reason I could to prove I was right but it was because of fear. I will pray for you.

What you can do is to realize that the Church is Christ’s mystical Body on earth.

His mystical Body. Ponder that.

Christ was and is resisted, but you are embracing the truth. Do not be afraid to make the leap. Imagine the early devout Jews who had to embrace this continuation of their faith - but with so much radically changed! By comparison, your acceptance should be easy.

Get a catechism and begin reading. In it, you will find the teachings of the Church - but just as important: the reasons for those teachings. Faith takes you only so far. Reason must now bridge the gap.

Think of the places at which you have worked. Was someone in charge? Or did every individual just decide what was best and carry out their personal plan? Clearly, somone was in charge, to see that the work got done.

So it was when Christ walked this earth, and so it is while He is in heaven. He left a CEO in charge of the “company” and successors to that CEO have been appointed for almost 2,000 years.

Truth is not flexible and for a Church to persist in this world, guidelines must be established and a framework built. Christ designed His Church and established that nascent framework. It persists to this day.

But ultimately, you are here for Christ. And He is found among us in the Holy Eucharist. Your local parish has a Tabernacle in which Christ is present. They also most likely offer adoration of the Lord.

Go, and spend time with Him. Tell Him your doubts and hesitations. Sit. Pray. Read scripture. Then, be as patient with Him as He has been with you.

When you become aware that He is there, you will be changed. You will be home. Fear, doubt and confusion will vanish.

Either the Eucharist is completely God with His body, blood, soul and divinity or it is idol worship.
I really don’t see how the attention Catholics give to the Eucharist is idol worship because the intention of their attention is to worship Jesus, the one true God. Jesus’ glorified human nature may not be really and substantially present under the appearance of bread and wine, as Catholics believe, but, as God, he is spiritually present everywhere, no less where the bread and wine appear as anywhere else. It seems to me that, like the observance and non-observance of days discussed by Paul in Romans 14:4-6, non-Catholics should not judge Catholics with respect to their attention to the Eucharist since Catholics do it to honor the Lord.

Last edited:
Have you read Augustine’s Confessions? Honestly, your post reminded me a lot of him! He describes himself as the ultimate skeptic, highly educated, reading everything he could get his hands on, half convinced of the truth, second guessing himself, frenetically running this way and that to know the truth, etc. But then in a wonderful moment (chapter 9 I think) he “relaxed a little” from his anxious seeking and that was the moment he could finally begin to let God work on him–to let the grace of truth in. My suggestion would be to make sure you are giving quality time to prayer and silence, letting God in. Best of all, do this in the Adoration Chapel.

The more something stands up to scrutiny, the more likely it is to be true.

Prayer and silence is something that really rings true to what needs to be going on in my life. I used to pray the Rosary and the Divine Mercy almost every single night after work. I got sick though. That cold that’s been going around and wasn’t able to barely talk for long periods of time because of constant coughing. I think that is what led me down the wrong path. It wasn’t intentional or anything. Just something that happened due to being sick. Led to more doubt about the Catholic faith. Not really in God or anything, only specifically in believing that the CC was the original church that Jesus started. Definitely need to start praying again. As a matter of fact, I think that’s what I’m going to do in a few minutes. It’s crazy how fast things can go from awesome to really bad when prayer is removed. Walking the dogs and had a chance to reflect on that. Thank you for your post and for everybody involved. I’ll look more in St. Augustine when I have time. I have so many books to read, it’s unreal. Get praying again and get my butt back to Mass and I think I’ll be okay. Keep praying for me, everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back