C
CAROLOFTHEBELLS
Guest
About six months ago I moved in with my sister and her husband, a year after my mother passed away. I previously lived with my mother for many years and was her companion at home in the last years. I am very grateful for the opportunity to live here now. It is a big house and my brother in law’s son, who is 26 also lives here in the room across from mine.
I know my sister loves her husband and has been in love with him for many years. He loves her and is a fairly quiet and gentle man. However, there are some things he does that, obviously, get on her nerves, such as assuming things, making up answers to questions (I think he sometimes wants to be right so he makes up a reason for what he is saying), or not doing something the way she asked or said she wanted. They get along good, for the most part. But I am noticing at least twice a week she is on him about something and he mostly takes it while she berates him. He tries to respond with his reasoning but she shoots him down.
In our childhood, our mother - who was sweet and gentle in her old age - sometimes went on and on when upset and I think maybe my sister and I picked up this habit of handling frustrations and anger this way. I understood it was a problem for me, but I actually butted heads with my mom a number of times and had to learn to control it. As she got older, it was very necessary to keep myself in check for her good. I’ve never married, so this current situation is actually something of a learning ground for me and I am saying to myself that I will be more watchful of my behavior when and if I get married because I see things from both sides. (Of course, since I am not in a relationship, that is easy for me to vow!)
My problem is that I am uncomfortable when I hear my sister berating my brother in law when I am in my room and even more so when it is in front of me, such as when we are watching TV in the living room or in the car together. I don’t know how to act, other than leaving the room. Tonight my brother in law actually got angry and got up and left the room. I really can’t understand why she has to get on his case. Sometimes I feel like saying to him that I am sorry, but I think that will be wrong to take sides. I don’t know that I could mention anything to her because I think she might just say she really loves him and he really is a good husband or maybe she would just put him down, either one, since she has said those things to me before without my saying anything.
What would be the best way to handle this? By the way, we are all in our late 50’s and I am the only practicing Catholic. This is her second marriage and the first husband was much more assertive, shall we say. This is his third marriage and, from what I understand, the other women were not very nice to him.
I’ve been thinking about this for a while and haven’t discussed it with anyone before this. So I am happy to get it off my chest and discuss it. Thanks.
I know my sister loves her husband and has been in love with him for many years. He loves her and is a fairly quiet and gentle man. However, there are some things he does that, obviously, get on her nerves, such as assuming things, making up answers to questions (I think he sometimes wants to be right so he makes up a reason for what he is saying), or not doing something the way she asked or said she wanted. They get along good, for the most part. But I am noticing at least twice a week she is on him about something and he mostly takes it while she berates him. He tries to respond with his reasoning but she shoots him down.
In our childhood, our mother - who was sweet and gentle in her old age - sometimes went on and on when upset and I think maybe my sister and I picked up this habit of handling frustrations and anger this way. I understood it was a problem for me, but I actually butted heads with my mom a number of times and had to learn to control it. As she got older, it was very necessary to keep myself in check for her good. I’ve never married, so this current situation is actually something of a learning ground for me and I am saying to myself that I will be more watchful of my behavior when and if I get married because I see things from both sides. (Of course, since I am not in a relationship, that is easy for me to vow!)
My problem is that I am uncomfortable when I hear my sister berating my brother in law when I am in my room and even more so when it is in front of me, such as when we are watching TV in the living room or in the car together. I don’t know how to act, other than leaving the room. Tonight my brother in law actually got angry and got up and left the room. I really can’t understand why she has to get on his case. Sometimes I feel like saying to him that I am sorry, but I think that will be wrong to take sides. I don’t know that I could mention anything to her because I think she might just say she really loves him and he really is a good husband or maybe she would just put him down, either one, since she has said those things to me before without my saying anything.
What would be the best way to handle this? By the way, we are all in our late 50’s and I am the only practicing Catholic. This is her second marriage and the first husband was much more assertive, shall we say. This is his third marriage and, from what I understand, the other women were not very nice to him.
I’ve been thinking about this for a while and haven’t discussed it with anyone before this. So I am happy to get it off my chest and discuss it. Thanks.