How to address an archbishop?

  • Thread starter Thread starter marcaevans
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcaevans

Guest
I am attending a station Mass tonight, the Archbishop of Cardiff, George Stack will be in attendance. I am worried incase he speaks to me at any point tonight, how should I address him if he does?
 
Also, don’t directly turn your back on him…always back up several steps before turning away if your in his eye view. And stand up if he enters a room.

These are all signs and symbols on the position he holds…don’t worry about making mess ups. It will be just fine.
 
Your excellency or excellency.
Also, don’t directly turn your back on him…always back up several steps before turning away if your in his eye view. And stand up if he enters a room.

These are all signs and symbols on the position he holds…don’t worry about making mess ups. It will be just fine.
This is correct.

I would also add that when addressing any bishop who is within his jurisdiction (that is, he is currently within the area over which he is bishop) it is customary to take his hand and kiss his ring as you greet him.

It isn’t like socially horrifying if you don’t, but that’s just the standard. However, some bishops refuse to have their ring kissed, so keep it in mind.
 
I am attending a station Mass tonight, the Archbishop of Cardiff, George Stack will be in attendance. I am worried incase he speaks to me at any point tonight, how should I address him if he does?
I believe it is still the custom in the UK to address an Archbishop as “Your Grace”.
 
This is correct.

I would also add that when addressing any bishop who is within his jurisdiction (that is, he is currently within the area over which he is bishop) it is customary to take his hand and kiss his ring as you greet him.
I was taught that it is proper to kiss any bishop’s ring upon greeting him, and that the distinction is that one should kneel when greeting the local ordinary, the local metropolitan, or a cardinal or the Pope anywhere, and bow when greeting other bishops. But don’t get bent out of shape worrying about that sort of thing - the bishops know that we are uncivilized, uncultured lot devoid of etiquette and basic catechesis. 😉
 
I was taught that it is proper to kiss any bishop’s ring upon greeting him, and that the distinction is that one should kneel when greeting the local ordinary, the local metropolitan, or a cardinal or the Pope anywhere, and bow when greeting other bishops. But don’t get bent out of shape worrying about that sort of thing - the bishops know that we are uncivilized, uncultured lot devoid of etiquette and basic catechesis. 😉
Haha!

I admit, I have lost much of my former knowledge of the ins and outs of Church tradition. I should renew my experience on these subjects.
 
I believe it is still the custom in the UK to address an Archbishop as “Your Grace”.
That’s the custom in Canada as well (or at least that’s what I was told to address our Archbishop as “Your Grace”)
 
I believe it is still the custom in the UK to address an Archbishop as “Your Grace”.
That is incorrect, for a Protestant Archbishop (Anglican) its Your Grace for Roman Catholic its Your Excellency.
 
That is incorrect, for a Protestant Archbishop (Anglican) its Your Grace for Roman Catholic its Your Excellency.
I have seen the Archbishop of Westminster referred to as “His Grace Vincent Nichols” by English Catholics.
 
That’s the custom in Canada as well (or at least that’s what I was told to address our Archbishop as “Your Grace”)
I believe it is still the custom in the UK to address an Archbishop as “Your Grace”.
That is incorrect, for a Protestant Archbishop (Anglican) its Your Grace for Roman Catholic its Your Excellency.
I have seen the Archbishop of Westminster referred to as “His Grace Vincent Nichols” by English Catholics.
I had the fortune of meeting Archbishop Aquila of Denver USA at a conference a couple months ago and I asked him this very question.

He said that in western United States we slack and call archbishops your excellency. But everywhere else in the world and the East coast United States the Archbishops there like the distinction of the office of Arch and prefer Your Grace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top