How to convince an Athiest God exists?

• Thread starter Thread starter Brisingr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that there are experiments that can be performed that would convince an atheist of the existence of a supernatural and great power able to perform miracles. However, these experiments would not prove the existence of the Christian God but they might convince many of its likelihood.
Tell me more! I am willing to be convinced!

I would rather end up saying while handing him a rose “Make a rose like this, out of nothing.”
Atheists tend to think no entity can create something out of nothing. So replicating the creation of roses from nothing wouldn’t be something they’d be inclined to try, or impressed by finding out they could not. They thought that to start with.

True… it wouldn’t be used to convince anyone that Jesus is God. The research and test done would just prove a man named Jesus did exist and made a huge impression on a lot of people.
Every agnostic/atheist biblical scholar is already at this point…as am I. The very problematic resurrection is the leap. We already have many, even today, very charismatic people that make a huge impression on a lot of people. I’m curious how you’d take the next step? Obviously, you’d have to have a belief in the supernatural first. I’m not sure you realize how big a leap is needed to go from atheism to a possible supernatural without actual verifiable evidence.

I was trying to convince an Athiest God exists. He was very deeply rooted in science, and says that, “Scientific evidence says exorcists, demons, and God are all mental illness or human invention.” I also tried using “Thomas Aquinas’s reasons why God exists” Mainly the one that something, must come from something else. Am I going about this wrong way?
Such a person who says these things isn’t interested in any reasons that you have and they won’t care about Saint Aquinas’ Ways. Their heart is hardened and their mind is closed off, so the best thing you can do is pray for them. Beyond that, you need to live a life that proves to all that you believe. Reason won’t help such people, only prayer and a holy witness can do that.

It’s really hard to convince someone to change their mind in a discussion/argument. All you can do is lead them down paths and hope for the best. What I would try to do is give them the book “Handbook for Christian Apologetics” by Peter Kreeft. In it, he outlines 20 arguments that might show the existence of a God. In the end though, I think it requires some degree of faith.

Atheists tend to think no entity can create something out of nothing.
Of course they do. There is no such “ontological entity” as nothing. Nothing is merely a concept. The whole idea of “ex nihilo creation” is a grammatical and metaphysical nonsense.

Capta(name removed by moderator)rudeman

5d
Brisingr:

“Scientific evidence says exorcists, demons, and God are all mental illness or human invention.”
He’s delusional. There’s pretty much nothing you can do for someone who so firmly believes a lie like this.
I agree that some scientist have trouble seeing the truth.

In reality the more you believe in God the more science supports God and the more you discover about the intricate creation of God. Faith opens doors to greater scientific discovery.
Father Robert Spitzer , S.J., Ph.D. talks about the connection between faith and physics. If you are a scientist you might be convinced when you hear his talks.

The Heartmath institute does a lot of research that indirectly proves a body soul connection.

Nahar

1h
Thom18:

Their heart is hardened and their mind is closed off
I wonder if you are aware how incredibly insulting this is?
I wouldn’t say their hearts are hardened. Most of them love others in a similar way as any other person who does believe in God.
Just out of curiosity, are you an atheist?
How would you describe some atheists who can’t believe in God? What is stopping them?
I have friends who are atheists but, I can’t fathom why they don’t believe. What would you say about that?

Last edited:
He says these things quite often.
That does not diminish the insulting character of the words. The reference to “hardened heart” is merely ridiculous, but the “closed mind” is extremely insulting.

As a matter of fact, it would be very easy to convince any materialist/atheist (no capitalization needed) about the existence of something supernatural with presenting some physical phenomenon which occurs in violation of the established physical laws of nature. And I am talking about the real laws of nature, like the conservation laws, and the law about the speed of light in vacuum, or the absolute zero. No reference to regrowing legs would suffice, after all there are animals with such capabilities, not to mention the vegetation.

For example having the planets Jupiter and Saturn “trading places” at the result of some supplication. Millions of such examples would be sufficient.

Just out of curiosity, are you an atheist?
Yes. I used to be a believer, when I was young.
How would you describe some atheists who can’t believe in God? What is stopping them?
I have friends who are atheists but, I can’t fathom why they don’t believe. What would you say about that?
It is all individual. There is no common denominator. As for myself, the answer is simple. I do not believe in some faceless, deistic first cause or sustaining cause or any other concept of Aquinas, because they are all founded on some incorrect metaphysical underpinning. These kinds of “gods of philosophers” are metaphysically incorrect.

On the other hand, I don’t believe in the God of the Bible, for exactly the same reason that you do not believe in married bachelors. The alleged attributes of the Christian God are partially nonsensical, partially contradictory and some are contradicted by the physical reality.

We could have a conversation if you are interested. But one thing is certain. I did not lose my faith due to some mistreatment by the members of the clergy. The arguments lost their convincing value.

Tell me more! I am willing to be convinced!
Suppose that every time a plane crashed, that Catholic nuns on the plane were unharmed, and that every time there was a car accident, the Catholic nuns in the car were unharmed, and every time there was an earthquake, a tornado or a tsunami, the Catholic nuns in the area were not harmed, and this happened without fail over a long period of time, then would that convince an atheist that there was a supernatural power protecting the Catholic nuns?

Suppose that every time a plane crashed, that Catholic nuns on the plane were unharmed, and that every time there was a car accident, the Catholic nuns in the car were unharmed, and every time there was an earthquake, a tornado or a tsunami, the Catholic nuns in the area were not harmed, and this happened without fail over a long period of time, then would that convince an atheist that there was a supernatural power protecting the Catholic nuns?
It would be an interesting coincidence. But to accept it as evidence you would need a prediction. For every hypothesis the only evidence is to make a prediction and see if the prediction is validated by the actual events.

…. alleged attributes of the Christian God are partially nonsensical, partially contradictory and some are contradicted by the physical reality.
Whoa! That is saying volumes. It could take years to sift through all of that you wrote in those three paragraphs.
I once knew an atheist who didn’t believe in God but did believe in life after death. Do you believe in life after death?
The Bible appears to contradict itself because it is holophrasic. It is similar to the double slit experiment. Light appears to cancel out waves and at the same time build up waves within the same beam. Imagine this happening in every dimension. It would be very confusing but, there is order to it even though we can’t see it.

Just tell him to pursue truth.

That’s, don’t look for arguments to win besides nurturing an ability to hold unknowns close to heart and resist the temptation to explain away, he will eventually find the God.

I would say that the coincidence involved, if this was repeated hundreds of times, would require investigation: the establishment of hypotheses, development of theories and replication. But ‘supernatural’ explanations would not be a ‘go to’ place. Even if ‘supernatural’ explanations were eventually identified as the only possible explanation it would not convince me that there was a god or gods. Just supernatural forces. Ascribing attributes to supernatural forces believers think they see is a fallacious step in reasoning. I would be persuaded by any of Jesus’ miracles in the Bible if done in controlled conditions that there were ‘spiritual’ forces. But I would want part of the controlling done by performance magicians who are able to ‘do’ similar things. But raising the dead is hard to argue with.

Whoa! That is saying volumes. It could take years to sift through all of that you wrote in those three paragraphs.
I don’t think it is that complicated.
I once knew an atheist who didn’t believe in God but did believe in life after death. Do you believe in life after death?
Not I. But there are many who believe in reincarnation.
The Bible appears to contradict itself because it is holophrasic. It is similar to the double slit experiment. Light appears to cancel out waves and at the same time build up waves within the same beam. Imagine this happening in every dimension. It would be very confusing but, there is order to it even though we can’t see it.
I was not talking about the bible. Only about the “omnimax” attributes. Omniscience and omnipotence are not rigorously defined - and, of course they are mutually contradictory. And “benevolence” is refuted by the actual state of affairs. How can anyone call an entity “benevolent” who commits and/or permits horrible acts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back