How to deal with selfish sister?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marie1234
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marie1234

Guest
My sister is extremely self-centered and is always starting fights and picking on family members every time we get together. She especially is critical of my dad. She has deep-seeded issues with him and we don’t really know how to fix it. I don’t think she’s willing to make amends.

She’s a lot better than she was when she was a teenager (she was very rebellious, dated a felon, drank, skipped from guy to guy…) but it’s still painful every time we have to be around her. She always has to be the center of attention, talks constantly about herself, and will randomly lash out at people for no reason.

We all love her, but we don’t know how to fix our relationships with her or how to get her to be nicer. Any thoughts?
 
Marie I don’t think we can answer as helpfully as you would wish, because we can’t observe her nor your family. We don’t know the dynamics. Nor do we know if there is some psychological problem in her that needs management, or whether for peace’s sake she got her own way too much as a child; and whether she has been capitulated to more often than was helpful. We really would need to have good understanding of human nature and of family natures and interactions in particular.

But Marie I’ll pray for her and for your family
 
Marie I don’t think we can answer as helpfully as you would wish, because we can’t observe her nor your family. We don’t know the dynamics. Nor do we know if there is some psychological problem in her that needs management, or whether for peace’s sake she got her own way too much as a child; and whether she has been capitulated to more often than was helpful. We really would need to have good understanding of human nature and of family natures and interactions in particular.

But Marie I’ll pray for her and for your family
Thank you for your prayers, Tricia.

I don’t know what the specific issue is either, but I can say that she has recently been diagnosed with anxiety, possibly OCD, and depression. She’s taking some medication now, but she’s still very mean. It has helped some, but not enough.

Also, she was the first born and did get her way a lot as a child. Unfortunately, she still acts like one.

It’s okay if you don’t have any advice, but if you have insight on how to deal with a person like this, I would be very appreciative if you would share it with me.

My parents were considering family counseling, but I don’t know if that’s such a good idea…
 
Marie, I agree it seems intrusive to expose your family relationships to an outsider, and it is possible that your sister might not agree to be part of family counseling. It is at least possible, that in allowing family members to share, a trained professional who interpret these issues in a caring yet detached way, may be able to provide family members with guidelines and strategies that could perhaps help.
I understand your reticence…but I ask God to guide things for the best outcomes.
 
Hi, Marie. I’m very sorry that your family has been saddled with these unhappy memories. Been there; done that; bad scene. We’ll all give you emotional and prayer support, but each set of family dynamics is different, so what works in one won’t necessarily work with another.

Pray, of course, which I’m sure you do, already. But pray some more, and even some more. Persevere, dear. Putting up with an impossible family member is so painful for everyone, and, sometimes, even the offender is aware she’s wrong, but doesn’t seem able to change. Although we, who cope, need prayer for understanding and to keep from exploding, the offender needs our prayers even worse than we need them.

It takes a sick or twisted mind to find pleasure in stirring up dissension in every family gathering. I can never believe that those who are so negative and so self-centered and demanding–and, sometimes, seemingly diabolical–are finding true happiness through their words and deeds. I think part of it is habit, and they’ve been the stinker for so long that they don’t know how to be anything else. I think sometimes they do take a perverse pleasure in knowing that they do a much better job than anyone they know at being nasty, and they revel in the one horrid trait in which they excell.

Group counseling could teach the rest of the family how to deal with your sister. Your dynamics won’t change without change, and since she won’t, you must, or the cycle will continue to turn until it spins wildly out of control. We do children a great disservice when we permit them favored status as a youngster, or when we neglect to hold them accountable for wayward behavior in their formative years. If family members can be united in changing their behavior, though, your sister may lose a tad of her brashness and become more bearable. All of you need prayers, love, and understanding; I’m guessing that, as miserable as she makes the rest of you, she gets less of all three and needs them more than the rest of you do.

I wish you extra blessings that you may nurture each other and change her heart. I know we often sigh when we hear it, but offer your trials with her up to Jesus. And if it’s been a long time since anyone has pleasantly surprised her, please do it for her and for Jesus. Communication is a two way street. When the family learns how to deflect her barbs and head off rants, she’ll be relearning how to deal with all of you. Best wishes to all of you. I’ll include your family in my prayers.
 
My sister is extremely self-centered and is always starting fights and picking on family members every time we get together. She especially is critical of my dad. She has deep-seeded issues with him and we don’t really know how to fix it. I don’t think she’s willing to make amends.

She’s a lot better than she was when she was a teenager (she was very rebellious, dated a felon, drank, skipped from guy to guy…) but it’s still painful every time we have to be around her. She always has to be the center of attention, talks constantly about herself, and will randomly lash out at people for no reason.

We all love her, but we don’t know how to fix our relationships with her or how to get her to be nicer. Any thoughts?
My grandma was a lot like you describe your sister. It is very difficult to be around people like this. My grandma has long passed away, but I learned the best thing to do was let her be “right” without being walked on. People like this can’t be reasoned with and often like to argue and fight as a form of getting attention. When she would get like that, I would simply say “it was good to see you grandma, take care” and remove myself from the situation. Unfortunately that meant removing myself from some holidays and family events but sometimes the older person isn’t necessarily the bigger person so to speak. Not engaging her seemed to be the best tactic and eventually she would simmer down and be bearable again. Other family members would try to “reason” with her which inevitably led to huge blow ups and fights because grandma didn’t want to be reasoned with, she just wanted a lot of immature selfish attention.

There isn’t much you can do for your sister until she is willing to accept that she has issues and work on herself. You can, however, set boundaries for yourself and what you will and will not allow yourself to put up with and be a part of. Once you have established those boundaries, you must be very very firm with them. People with personalities like your sister and my grandma will manipulate any weakness they can detect, so stay strong.

I will be praying for your family. I know how difficult this can be.
 
i can say from my point of view, that my family may have said those things about me many times. that i lashed out, was rude, that i said that i hated them all from time to time and that i made them miserable. but maybe i had a different situation than your family. when i was only about ll years old, my mother began growing angry towards me, because i tried to patch up a tear in the family between her and my fathers sister. my mother hated my fathers family, and it made my father absolutely miserable. being a child, i thought that i could fix things. little did i know that she would replace the feelings that she had for me with a resentment. she began pushing me away. my mother is from a culture that is not European.where she comes from, if someone is ousted from the family, they are actually sent away. i was sent out of my house for hours at a time, and left to fend for myself on the streets. i was allowed to come into the house at night to take a bath and eat and go to bed, but i never received any phone calls growing up, i never was bought school clothes, i felt guilty for every stitch of food i put in my mouth, and to make it worse, i was a beautiful, talented girl, who grew up singing like a sparrow, because music was the only thing that i had to keep me sane. the more beautiful and talented i became, the more she and my less attractive sister managed to make up every type of untruth you could imagine to spread thru the community that i grew up in. i lived just as much at my friends house as i did my own. through the years, my mother cycled in these “lies” she made up lasting in usual cycles of 3-5 months that i had to endure, which usually involved her convincing my father were true. my sister on the other hand, lived lies that lasted in cycles of 2-3 years, that i endured all for the sake of being a good Christian, and trying to get along with them. it turned out that my sisters husband ended up being the town wierdo, stalking one of my sisters friends that weren’t my friend because lets face it I don’t have any friends, and from whom i spent most of my life in fear of that i may have the in opportunity of getting caught alone with. i even became so enraged by his advances at one point that i spatted it out to my neglecting father. i finally decided that the little game was over when his advances were toward my lovely daughter who never in 23 years would believe me, and my 32 year old son, well, after years of my complaining and torturous hell has come to think it all a hallarious joke. but let me tell you, the way i look at it, we only go round one time here, and i have given my sister, my mother, my father and my brother in law 35 years of opportunity to straighten up and fly right, and since they can’t seem to do it, I have two beautiful children, and four beautiful grandchildren who i plan on enjoying every moment i can with, and when this ride is over, and we all join our march on into eternity, i hope to be right there with the family that loves me, and who has appreciated me, and has filled my life with joy and comfort.
 
Thank you all for your advice, support, and prayers. I’ll continue to pray for her and showing her that I love her through my actions. Maybe in time she’ll come around and confront what’s really bothering her.

Here’s a little more to the story, maybe it will help you guys understand and possibly help me with more advice:

I honestly think a lot of it is caused by mental illness and grudges. Anxiety runs in the paternal side of my family. Also, my sister has a lot of grudges toward me because when I was born (she was four) I was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect. As a child, she didn’t realize what that meant. All she knew was that I was getting more attention than her. Mom and Dad were worried about me and were just trying to do everything to make sure I didn’t die. As a result, my sister was babysat by my grandparents all the while I underwent surgeries and doctor visits.

A little while after my second surgery, ( I was now 2, she was 6) my parents brought me to my grandparents house. My sister was there. She saw me and my parents, got jealous that I had been getting more attention recently, and pushed me. I fell. My dad freaked out, since I had just had surgery and getting pushed over was the last thing I needed. He grabbed me, slammed the door and left my sister there.

I don’t think I was the entire reason why my sister is so mean to my dad. He told me a story about when she was like 3 or 4, she got mad at him and spit right in his face. But I can’t help feeling somewhat responsible. I know the resents me for my heart condition. She took a lot of her anger out on me when I was growing up. She constantly insulted me as a child, called me fat and ugly even though I wasn’t (this was during her anorexic period) and has left me with a lot of body image issues. She barely ever picked on my younger sister.

A couple years ago, I had to go to the hospital for some heart-flutter issues. Nothing life-threatening but it was still scary. A few months afterward, my sister and I got into a little argument, I wanted to turn the air conditioner down because I can’t handle heat very well; she didn’t want to turn it down. She ended up getting really mad at me and said that I complain about my heart all the time and I exaggerate my condition. I felt like she punched me in the stomach. Out of all the mean things she ever said, that hurt me the most. My heart condition has been such a painful thing in my life and I do my best to live everyday like someone who doesn’t have one. I thought I was doing pretty good at hiding my condition. Know one would ever know I have a medical condition, unless they saw my scar. I think I do pretty well hiding it. It really hurt that she would say something like that, and the worst part is, I think she believes it. That I manipulate my parents with my heart problem or something. She always says they favor me, and they really don’t.

They do everything for her. My dad paid for her college tuition, bought her a car, and paid about 12 grand for her wedding. But it still isn’t enough for her and she still yells at my dad and wants more. I feel so bad for my dad because he has tried everything and she still hates him. We aren’t exactly sure exactly why she hates him so much, but I think a lot of it dates back to when I was born.

I don’t want to be mad at her. I don’t want to feel sad when she’s mean. I know that I’m actually quite pretty, maybe even prettier than her, but sometimes, I still feel like that insecure 8-year-old girl and I resent her for making me feel that way.

I love her and try to forgive her, but I’m having trouble getting over the past. I’m having trouble being on good terms with her in the present.

Sorry this post was really long and if it seems like I’m complaining. I just need to get some advice. Maybe we should go to family counseling, but I’m just afraid it might make it worse.
 
My sister is extremely self-centered and is always starting fights and picking on family members every time we get together. She especially is critical of my dad. She has deep-seeded issues with him and we don’t really know how to fix it. I don’t think she’s willing to make amends.

She’s a lot better than she was when she was a teenager (she was very rebellious, dated a felon, drank, skipped from guy to guy…) but it’s still painful every time we have to be around her. She always has to be the center of attention, talks constantly about herself, and will randomly lash out at people for no reason.

We all love her, but we don’t know how to fix our relationships with her or how to get her to be nicer. Any thoughts?
It’s very hard to lend insight because we don’t know her, you, or your family. There are a dozen possibilities to explain why your sister does what she does. She could be a genuinely awful person, but lending her some benefit of the doubt, it could be possible she suffered some kind of emotional or psychological trauma that you’re not aware of. I don’t know.

Whatever the explanation, please recognise that she has a choice in her life, and you have one in yours, but you cannot ‘make’ her change. The best you can do is pray for her and keep your door open to her if she needs your help, but if her abusive behaviour begins to wear you down, for your own sake you need to step back and let her carry on.
 
Marie1234, while we cannot give medical advice here, and we may be straying into that area, I have dealt with situations in my family where one daughter needed huge amounts of attention and the difficulties of their own that caused.

From the little you say it sounds to me as though some sort of counselling may well help. As Bezant says no one can change her, but if those members of your family who would go for counselling did that, you would learn valuable techniques for dealing with the situations that arise while maintaining your own emotional health.
 
Okay thanks everyone.

I think I’ll talk to my parents about a family counseling session. If they want all of us to be there, I’ll go. It can’t hurt I guess.

I hope.

I really don’t think she’s awful deep down. I think she’s just really emotional, and quite probably mentally ill too. But if she continues to be abusive, I’ll just have to stay away from her.

Thanks again for listening.
 
My sister is extremely self-centered and is always starting fights and picking on family members every time we get together. She especially is critical of my dad. She has deep-seeded issues with him and we don’t really know how to fix it. I don’t think she’s willing to make amends.

She’s a lot better than she was when she was a teenager (she was very rebellious, dated a felon, drank, skipped from guy to guy…) but it’s still painful every time we have to be around her. She always has to be the center of attention, talks constantly about herself, and will randomly lash out at people for no reason.

We all love her, but we don’t know how to fix our relationships with her or how to get her to be nicer. Any thoughts?
First of all I think it’s important to recognize that we can not change other people, that you can not change your sister.

So this leaves, in my mind, what are YOUR goals as they relate to your family and your sister (while keeping in mind you can’t change her).

It’s good to hear that she is changing for the better since she was a teenager. It’s often the case that people ‘soften’ or ‘get better’ or however you want to put it as people get older. They either kind of burn out to one degree or another, or learn from their mistakes, etc and become a less abrasive version of themselves. I think that your sister will likely continue on this path as she is already on it, so be thankful for that.

So maybe figuring out how you are going to respond, individually, and possibly as a family, when your sister acts out could be helpful…since she isn’t going to instantly change (and I’m asuming if you simply tell her “I love you but don’t like it when you do xyz she isn’t going to have a moment of clarity that will stap her out of her ways and make her more calm and easy to get along with”.

You can try to ‘kill her with kindness’, you can pray for her, but I think that your goals have to be realistic so you wont’ set yourself up for disappointment and frustration.

Have you tried to talk to your sister about these things? How does she respond/react? Is she able to ‘adsorb’ your feedback or not?

God Bless,
Bill
 
Have you tried to talk to your sister about these things? How does she respond/react? Is she able to ‘adsorb’ your feedback or not?

God Bless,
Bill
Thanks for the feedback, Bill. No, there’s really no reasoning with her or talking things out. I tried just a couple months ago, when she was yelling at my dad, I went up to him and told him he should leave a take a walk for a while. She got so mad at me and then started insulting me.

If you tell her to “calm down” she usually explodes even more. The only one that can tell her to calm down is her husband.

There’s really no way to talk things out with her.
 
Thanks for the feedback, Bill. No, there’s really no reasoning with her or talking things out. I tried just a couple months ago, when she was yelling at my dad, I went up to him and told him he should leave a take a walk for a while. She got so mad at me and then started insulting me.

If you tell her to “calm down” she usually explodes even more. The only one that can tell her to calm down is her husband.

There’s really no way to talk things out with her.
I suggest you consider figuring out a way to set limits with her so she has limited access to your dad in particular and make it clear what the limits are (for example family gathering will end if you do x) and then follow through with them without any further discussion at all. This way she will get the message her behavior will not be tolerated. I suggest this because negotating isn’t able to work with her. So walking away when she behaves like this can be effective. She will ‘hear’ that a lot clearer than various words coming out of your mouth that she probably doesn’t really care about or entertain with respect to how her behavior is wrong.

But don’t set the limit unless you are going to follow through. Once you do this, she has called what was effectively ‘a bluff’ on your part and it’s back to the same old same old.

Sounds like your dad needs some pretecting. Honor him by pretecting him from this abuse is something I suggest you consider doing.

God Bless,
Bill
 
I suggest you consider figuring out a way to set limits with her so she has limited access to your dad in particular and make it clear what the limits are (for example family gathering will end if you do x) and then follow through with them without any further discussion at all. This way she will get the message her behavior will not be tolerated. I suggest this because negotating isn’t able to work with her. So walking away when she behaves like this can be effective. She will ‘hear’ that a lot clearer than various words coming out of your mouth that she probably doesn’t really care about or entertain with respect to how her behavior is wrong.

But don’t set the limit unless you are going to follow through. Once you do this, she has called what was effectively ‘a bluff’ on your part and it’s back to the same old same old.

Sounds like your dad needs some pretecting. Honor him by pretecting him from this abuse is something I suggest you consider doing.

God Bless,
Bill
That’s a really good idea about setting limits. The only problem is that I’ll have to get everyone in my family to agree to the same limits. I’ll talk to them about this, though, it’s worth a try.

I think just leaving when she’s being ridiculous is another good idea. I’ve actually done this before and it does work.

Thanks for your help Bill 🙂
 
It sounds as though your sister has a lot of anger/sadness in her and she could have very good reason for it. Sometimes when someone says their sibling holds a grudge I have to cock an eyebrow because quite possibly she might be the type that doesn’t believe that all the ills in the family should be swept under a rug.

Maybe she is the type that needs to get things out in the open and resolve issues and finds this nearly mpossible when dealing with family members that would rather stay in denial and laugh and pretend at get togethers. Maybe the hypocricy is just so overwhelming to her. More than likely her attitude does not stem from just one incident but encompasses quite a few instances where things were never made right. Where someone in the family refuses to accept responsibility for their actions that broke someones heart or worse sent them to their grave broken hearted.

Sounds like I might know your family but I don’t, I just know the scenerio. There is something going on there and to put it on mental illness is just ludacris. Instead, maybe she is finally just sick of the whole mess and can no longer hold the anger/sadness in.

Money isn’t going to appease her/make things right and putting a bandaid on issues makes things worse----digging out the hugh lump that has been swept under the rug for many years will, and getting down to the dynamics in the family will.

Pray for your family and most especially your sister. She is filled with sadness.
 
It sounds as though your sister has a lot of anger/sadness in her and she could have very good reason for it. Sometimes when someone says their sibling holds a grudge I have to cock an eyebrow because quite possibly she might be the type that doesn’t believe that all the ills in the family should be swept under a rug.

Maybe she is the type that needs to get things out in the open and resolve issues and finds this nearly mpossible when dealing with family members that would rather stay in denial and laugh and pretend at get togethers. Maybe the hypocricy is just so overwhelming to her. More than likely her attitude does not stem from just one incident but encompasses quite a few instances where things were never made right. Where someone in the family refuses to accept responsibility for their actions that broke someones heart or worse sent them to their grave broken hearted.

Sounds like I might know your family but I don’t, I just know the scenerio. There is something going on there and to put it on mental illness is just ludacris. Instead, maybe she is finally just sick of the whole mess and can no longer hold the anger/sadness in.

Money isn’t going to appease her/make things right and putting a bandaid on issues makes things worse----digging out the hugh lump that has been swept under the rug for many years will, and getting down to the dynamics in the family will.

Pray for your family and most especially your sister. She is filled with sadness.
Thank you for your comment. I can see where your coming from, but that is not the case with my family. We are all very verbal and try to resolve issues as soon as possible through discussions. We don’t sweep anything under the rug, primarily because there really isn’t anything TO sweep under the rug because we try our best to outwardly deal with and fix our problems. We deal with things directly and usually fairly calmly. Unless my older sister is present. She never wants to hear anyone’s side but her’s and if anyone disagrees with her, she screams. There is no discussions when it comes to my sister, only insulting monologues.

I know my sister is sad, but I think she has more of an anger brewing in her that is the most destructive. She was bullied in school when she was young. My parents think that had alot to do with her anger and her abuse of those close to her. My parents wanted to take her out of the school when they found out a couple girls were being mean, but she begged and cried and didn’t want to leave her school. Hindsight, my parents wish they would have pulled her out anyway.

I hope you aren’t misunderstanding my post. My family is extremely loving and would never segregate someone and laugh at problems. We actually do the opposite. We give her more positive attention because we know she is angry and needs help.And we would never blame her problems on mental illness. She was actually the one that wanted to go to a psychiatrist because her anxiety was interfering with her work.

The reason I posted this was not to criticize my sister, but rather to find a better way to help her. We try so hard because we love her. We just wanted her to find some peace and a way to let go of her anger and sadness, no matter what the origin of it was.

The reason I said she’s holding a grudge is not a statement of vanity or something. If anything, it’s guilt that my heart condition made her the sad, angry person she is today. I hope I’m not the reason.
 
Instead of dreading the bad, why not try to cultivate the good? You can only control what you think. So, are you going to focus only on the bad past, or can you find small ways to bring smiles, laughter, and peace?

Study the Teresa’s: Little Flower, little ways … Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, "
Don’t look for big things, just do small things with great love…The smaller the thing, the greater must be our love."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top