I
insideitall
Guest
The venue that we’re having our reception at sent out a folder - one of those where you punch holes in the paper and use the brads to secure them in there - with a bunch of “helpful” information in it. The pages are plain photocopies. One page has names and contact information for local officiants. A breakdown of the list shows Baptist, Reformed, Methodist, and Episcopal. Unfortunately, there are also three listed as Roman Catholic. (In addition there are a handful of Interfaith Ministers, Rabbis, and a Justice.)
I of course am suspicious of anyone calling themselves an Interfaith Minister, and I was downright livid that they would even think those priests were actually RC. I find it very hard to believe that out of all the ceremonies this place does, they haven’t noticed that these three or four guys are the only priests that will perform the ceremony there. It’s not as if I live in the Deep Bible-Thumping Evangelical South - my area is very, very heavily Catholic.
Of course, I’d like to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they’re getting lots of our money, that maybe they really don’t know, because I bet a lot of actual Catholics don’t know. I could only find information online for the first guy listed. He had a very well laid out website, and he does say on the FAQ page that he “left the Bureaucratic Church” but is registered with the “International Council of Community Churches,” and though the “ceremony will be performed the Catholic tradition… recognized by the Catholic Church understood as the ‘People of God’… the Roman Catholic Church Hierarchy considers these marriages as illicit and will not recognize them as sacramental.” Nice and wordy, but sounds good if you don’t know what he’s really saying.
Something I noticed was that his page, and others I came across after googling for more information, puts a lot of weight on the claim that Catholics believe “once a priest, always a priest.” I couldn’t find websites where it wasn’t someone promoting that view, though. Where do they get that from?
So, after all that, my real question is…
What is the best way to explain to these people that they’ve made a grave mistake in suggesting these are actual RC priests?
I of course am suspicious of anyone calling themselves an Interfaith Minister, and I was downright livid that they would even think those priests were actually RC. I find it very hard to believe that out of all the ceremonies this place does, they haven’t noticed that these three or four guys are the only priests that will perform the ceremony there. It’s not as if I live in the Deep Bible-Thumping Evangelical South - my area is very, very heavily Catholic.
Of course, I’d like to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they’re getting lots of our money, that maybe they really don’t know, because I bet a lot of actual Catholics don’t know. I could only find information online for the first guy listed. He had a very well laid out website, and he does say on the FAQ page that he “left the Bureaucratic Church” but is registered with the “International Council of Community Churches,” and though the “ceremony will be performed the Catholic tradition… recognized by the Catholic Church understood as the ‘People of God’… the Roman Catholic Church Hierarchy considers these marriages as illicit and will not recognize them as sacramental.” Nice and wordy, but sounds good if you don’t know what he’s really saying.
Something I noticed was that his page, and others I came across after googling for more information, puts a lot of weight on the claim that Catholics believe “once a priest, always a priest.” I couldn’t find websites where it wasn’t someone promoting that view, though. Where do they get that from?
So, after all that, my real question is…
What is the best way to explain to these people that they’ve made a grave mistake in suggesting these are actual RC priests?