How to Explain Certain Passages of Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter PetoVeritas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PetoVeritas

Guest
I’ve heard several apologists speak about the rubrics of the Catholic Church in regards to hand raising during the Mass. The explanation that I’ve heard repeatedly is, “Just because something is not specifically mentioned in the rubrics doesn’t mean you have license to do it. It’s the opposite of “societal law” where, if it’s not mentioned as a “no you can’t” then you can. If it’s not in the rubrics, you can’t do it.”
HOWEVER, (and don’t get all jumpy please and skip what I’m trying to say here - stick with me a moment) I do recognize as well that in the Charismatic Catholic community that this is an acceptable/preferred form of worship so I’m not trying to argue with you if that is your preferred method of worshiping. I just want to lay the basis for asking my question by pointing out that several statements have been made upholding the idea that it is technically “not allowed” by the rubrics.
BUT (stay with me I’m almost there, I promise)
I’m curious to know how the Catholic Church or those apologists would respond to the verses in the Bible where the raising of hands is encouraged and demonstrated. (eg - Psalms 28:2, Nehemiah 8:6, and 1 Timothy 2:8) Perhaps a better explanation of what is meant by these verses would help. I’m a traditional Catholic myself so I don’t employ hand raising in worship, but I’d definitely be interested to know how we can best interpret the practice of the Church in light of these Scripture verses.
 
My priest says, “Let us pray” and raises his hands.

Most people prayed standing up in the OT. We still do that at Mass. The priest stands and says, “Let us pray” and we all stand up.

I like to “Lift my eyes to heaven” during the Holy Holy Holy.

I would simply say not to get too caught up in the customs of the particular society and literal intepretation of the Bible as to how we are supposed to position our bodies for prayer to be effective.

When in Rome…
 
There are distinct differences between doctrine and liturgical practice. Doctrines cannot change, but liturgical practices (or disciplines) can and do. Regardless of what we read, we are called to be obedient and respectful. As well, we want to avoid attracting attention to ourselves as the pharisees did with their showy public display of prayer. The manner in which those in ages past celebrated the liturgy has nothing to do with the revealed truth which they were celebrating. It is a matter of style versus substance. The style of celebration changes while the substance being celebrated remains the same.
 
I’ve heard several apologists speak about the rubrics of the Catholic Church in regards to hand raising during the Mass. The explanation that I’ve heard repeatedly is, “Just because something is not specifically mentioned in the rubrics doesn’t mean you have license to do it. It’s the opposite of “societal law” where, if it’s not mentioned as a “no you can’t” then you can. If it’s not in the rubrics, you can’t do it.”
HOWEVER, (and don’t get all jumpy please and skip what I’m trying to say here - stick with me a moment) I do recognize as well that in the Charismatic Catholic community that this is an acceptable/preferred form of worship so I’m not trying to argue with you if that is your preferred method of worshiping. I just want to lay the basis for asking my question by pointing out that several statements have been made upholding the idea that it is technically “not allowed” by the rubrics.
BUT (stay with me I’m almost there, I promise)
I’m curious to know how the Catholic Church or those apologists would respond to the verses in the Bible where the raising of hands is encouraged and demonstrated. (eg - Psalms 28:2, Nehemiah 8:6, and 1 Timothy 2:8) Perhaps a better explanation of what is meant by these verses would help. I’m a traditional Catholic myself so I don’t employ hand raising in worship, but I’d definitely be interested to know how we can best interpret the practice of the Church in light of these Scripture verses.
 
Remember, that Jesus did criticize those Sadduces and Pharisees stating that they clean the outside of the cup, but the inside is full of filth. He also made negative mention of their much murmurings, which I assume also include the hand gesturing. So apparently, it is not what we do with the outside of our bodies, but how we work interact with Him in our hearts. When Jesus is in our hearts, and He reads about our faith and love for Himself from our hearts–after all He did say that what cometh out of the mouth comes directly from the heart. So why what we do or don’t do with our arms is beyond me. And it is not always necessary to fold our hands when we pray; unless we want others to know that we are in prayer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top