How to Face "the World" after Conversion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thomas1981
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas1981

Guest
I was welcomed into the Catholic Church this Easter Vigil. My conversion experience has been incredible. It’s a little scary though because I feel like so much has changed. I sort of feel like I “live in the world” differently than before. I didn’t really have a concept of sin (other than the obvious things like “don’t kill people”), certainly not concept of sin where there is a relationship between God and man that needs to be restored. Suddenly, I have this, and I see the world differently. While I’m so happy about God, now I’m so down about the world! It’s like it flipped. I get sort of upset about things that didn’t rattle me much before because I didn’t care. I’m sure more experienced Catholics are used to this. I know I can’t be angry at the world because I was “the world” just a few months ago. This is a tough aspect of the transformation, I don’t want to get down. I hope someone can offer advice on how they come to terms and deal. Sorry if this was a bit of a rant, having a little difficulty formulating what I’m trying to say, but hopefully someone gets it.
 
Congratulations & welcome! I feel like I know sort of where you’re coming from. I am returning to the church after a very long absence. So many things of the world that were so important to me not that long ago, mean very little now. I think the hard thing for me is to keep in mind the second commandment to love our neighbors as are self. So even if I’m ready to reject the world and its empty promises I cannot reject my brothers & sisters.
 
Hi Thomas,

I actually don’t think that how you’re feeling is actually all that unusual. I have felt this way for a long time, myself. I have also talked to others who have felt this way, as well.

You kind of feel like you have “one foot on this Earth, and one foot aimed towards Eternity” in a sense. That is the best way that I can describe it, for myself.

To me, you also may feel like, “you’re of the world, but you’re also not in it.” That is also how I feel at times. So, I just go with these feelings that I have.

I try to stay focused on my relationship with Our Lord, His Mother, St. Joseph, and on the Saints and the Angels, too–on the Heavenly Kingdom. I try and put all of my trust in God for what happens on this Earth, regarding life here on it, too. To me, we are living in some difficult times.

Welcome to the church, and God bless you!
 
I was welcomed into the Catholic Church this Easter Vigil. My conversion experience has been incredible. It’s a little scary though because I feel like so much has changed. I sort of feel like I “live in the world” differently than before. I didn’t really have a concept of sin (other than the obvious things like “don’t kill people”), certainly not concept of sin where there is a relationship between God and man that needs to be restored. Suddenly, I have this, and I see the world differently. While I’m so happy about God, now I’m so down about the world! It’s like it flipped. I get sort of upset about things that didn’t rattle me much before because I didn’t care. I’m sure more experienced Catholics are used to this. I know I can’t be angry at the world because I was “the world” just a few months ago. This is a tough aspect of the transformation, I don’t want to get down. I hope someone can offer advice on how they come to terms and deal. Sorry if this was a bit of a rant, having a little difficulty formulating what I’m trying to say, but hopefully someone gets it.
Welcome home! 🙂 You should feel transformed! Jesus is the Light in the Darkness.
 
I went through that in the beginning. I think it’s normal. You kind of settle into it after a while and grow softer and more loving for people and there foibles. I had to pray. A LOT. For others. For myself.

I can write more later.
Hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top