How to forgive

  • Thread starter Thread starter StrugglingC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StrugglingC

Guest
I have been having an extremely difficult time forgiving someone.

I do pray about it. I ask God to help me. I go to confession on a regular basis. I am seeing a counselor.

My husband does not understand it. He just tells me to “let it go.” But, it translates “That’s in the past and it’s irritating to hear you talk about it. Don’t bother me.” As you could probably guess, we fight over this all the time. I make him sick, he says.

This inability to forgive and let go has been affecting everything I do. I am not happy. Nothing is good enough. I know I need to “let it go” but I can’t. The scars are way too deep and fresh to ignore.

The fact that my husband doesn’t want to understand this difficulty and just expects me to handle it on my own really puts a lot of pressure on myself. I am at a point where I want to separate…
 
So sorry to hear. We all carry this cross at some point in our lives. I can only say to keep praying and don’t be impatient. I made amends with an old enemy and we hadn’t spoken in 2 years (and saw each other almost everyday). I prayed for it and it eventually happened.

God Bless you! You will be in my prayers today. 🙂
 
I am regretful that you have been hurt, and it can be really painful, and you need affirmation. Did your husband not acknowledge at any time that and injustice and cruelty had been inflicted upon you? It really isn’t so unusual though, for a man to accept and acknowledge a serious offense has occurred, but in his practicality, he knows he and others must move on.

It is difficult to feel alone, but you are allowing whoever hurt you to continue poisoning your life. If the person intended to hut you, instead of pulling the knife out you are letting him or her twist it inside you every day?

You are permitting the person or person who wrongfully and badly injured you to continue to do so to the extent that you are allowing your unforgiveness to damage your marriage relationship, your peace of mind, and your health. Your description makes evident that you are allowing the hurt to become who you are and what your life is about, as it is about every day of your life now.

When we are hurt, and dwell upon it, are we asking our husband to live his life in the same manner, his life being about the offense? If your husband allows that, he is he permitting the other person to ruin his joy and daily life also. He may feel that your inability to forgive has made you his abuser? It prevents his peace of mind.

To remain as you are means you will likely fall into depression, enjoy nothing, and erode relationships with those who are part of our lives.

I do hope and pray for both your sakes that you will be able to let it become past of the past even though there may still be scars.
Jesus told us to pray for our enemies, and He also taught us that if we don’t forgive others’ offenses, then God will not forgive ours, so this is also damaging to our spiritual life. In the Lord’s prayer Jesus taught us to pray “Forgive us our sins ans we forgive others” in other words, if we don’t forgive we are asking God not to forgive us.

I am truly sorry you have been hurt and betrayed and sinned against, and unjustly treated. It is a real and painful thing to live through and to recover from

I know it can be enormously difficult to forgive. I’ve had great cause to need to forgive in my own life. For this reason I wrote the following:

When we cannot forgive
Heavenly Father help us to recover where injury goes beyond ordinary forgiveness and our hearts are in some way crushed, and our lives changed and devalued. Help us to find a way to forgive when we cannot smile or encounter the offending person with warmth because they have destroyed something in us, or in those whom we love…

Father please help us to forgive when it seems we cannot forgive…because they do not understand how badly they have hurt us, and do not seek in any real way to acknowledge or try to heal the hurt they imposed on us. And even when we tried to tell them from the bottom of our heart but they would not listen, please help us to forgive.

Father help us to forgive when those who hurt our lives do not even remember how badly they have wounded us, and go on with their lives without concern, while we remain still held in some kind of time capsule with the consequences of their unfeeling and uncaring and attack.

Father, help us to forgive when those who wounded us by ignoring our needs and requests, yet who desire us to ignore their offense, and expect us to respond to their hints or manipulations while they make no concessions or apologies.

Help us to forgive those who impose their own conditions and rules upon us, without respecting that our hurt is real and radical, while they make us feel that they only desire our capitulation without justice, apology, or generosity from them.
 
I have been having an extremely difficult time forgiving someone.

I do pray about it. I ask God to help me. I go to confession on a regular basis. I am seeing a counselor.

My husband does not understand it. He just tells me to “let it go.” But, it translates “That’s in the past and it’s irritating to hear you talk about it. Don’t bother me.” As you could probably guess, we fight over this all the time. I make him sick, he says.

This inability to forgive and let go has been affecting everything I do. I am not happy. Nothing is good enough. I know I need to “let it go” but I can’t. The scars are way too deep and fresh to ignore.

The fact that my husband doesn’t want to understand this difficulty and just expects me to handle it on my own really puts a lot of pressure on myself. I am at a point where I want to separate…
I’d recommend How to Forgive: A Step-By-Step Guide by Fr. John Monbourquette. His special areas of interest include both forgiveness and the dynamics of grief.

One of the things he would do is to remind you that forgiveness is not the same as excusing an offense. It isn’t the same as saying “this wasn’t important, don’t worry about it.” It is especially not the same as reconciling or returning the person to a position of trust. It may be that these or other misconceptions about what it takes to accept what has happened to you and move on are holding you back.

If someone commits a serious offense against you and has never has to admit it or face any consequences, that is hard to let go of. If you are the one who got ostracized when you are innocent, if you were condemned and had no defender when you feel that you were the victim, that is hard to let go of. Having said that: why should they sleep fine at night and be totally oblivious to what you’re going through (or worse yet, getting some weird satisfaction out of hurting you) while your whole life is tainted by *their *offense? How much damage are you going to allow the offender to get out of such a limited action?

My experience, though, is that when you have a habit of dwelling on something, it is very difficult to just “let it go”. There has to be a different thing to make into a habit, in place of the old habit. Perhaps you can look for the thing you want to do or think about when this other thing takes hold of your imagination. Maybe that will help? 🤷
 
Thank you both of you for quick responses. Thank you for the prayers.

This person hurt me very badly. Her excuse was “I didn’t mean it.” or “I never thought you would think that way.” To me, she is saying “I am an inconsiderate, insensitive person.” To clarify, she still continues this. She doesn’t mean it, but it hurts.

She is not hurting my husband directly. However, she is hurting me as an individual and our marriage. I wish I could cut her off completely, but unfortunately, my husband is not willing to do so.

Because of what she has done, my marriage has been miserable. Yes, you could say I am letting this continue to hurt me. That’s my dilemma. I know what I need to make happen, but it is difficult. I have been thinking about this situation a lot lately because we have been fighting a lot. I started taking baby steps forward in my head to forgive her. Then, she did it again… She “doesn’t mean to” destroy our marriage, but it is falling apart right before my eyes…
 
Thank you for the advice. You are right. I am thinking…why should this person go on without feeling guilty about what she did and continues to do? why is my marriage struggling for this worthless person? why does she get to just back off and pretend nothing happened? why do I have to drop it and pretend nothing happened? why is my husband blaming me for struggling with this whole thing and the irritation he experiences without helping me through it - I thought we were the ones in this marriage together?

I feel ugly and worthless. I don’t feel like I’m living up to God’s expectations. I feel exhausted everyday from all those thoughts…

I will definitely take a look at the book you recommended. Thank you.
 
As she has done a second time, whatever is hurting you, then at least there is certainty she is not to be trusted, whether she does it innocently or for some devious purpose.
If she is causing legitimate distress, like making some attempt to seduce your husband then you are right to want your husband to disengage, and he should do so in as much as is possible. If the problem is in this area, then it is a continuing issue as it has been repeated already, and if this is the case, God grant that your husband will cooperate. If it is a serious problem one has a right to hope that one’s spouse will be considerate of ones fears.
My prayer that your husband will overcome his resistance and you both be able to communicate calmly and with mutual understanding and respect.

May God bless and heal you and your husband and your relationship
and may God also bless and heal this woman who wittingly or unwittingly is foolish or unwise or unkind enough to be unable to handle friendships in a healthy manner.
 
Forgiving someone past wrongdoing is different from letting someone continue to do wrong to you. You do not have to put up with someone treating you and your marriage badly for the sake of Christian charity or forgiveness.

That said, we don’t know the circumstances so it’s hard to comment further. It seems you are angry at her and your husband. Anger is an emotion that can help protect us from harm, but equally it can begin to destroy us from within. It seems perhaps that your anger is causing or contributing to a marriage rift, as much as anything this third part has done.

If you and your husband cannot resolve this together, you should consider some counselling. This would, at the very least, provide an unbaised perspective on the situation.
 
Thank you both of you for quick responses. Thank you for the prayers.

This person hurt me very badly. Her excuse was “I didn’t mean it.” or “I never thought you would think that way.” To me, she is saying “I am an inconsiderate, insensitive person.” To clarify, she still continues this. She doesn’t mean it, but it hurts.

She is not hurting my husband directly. However, she is hurting me as an individual and our marriage. I wish I could cut her off completely, but unfortunately, my husband is not willing to do so.

Because of what she has done, my marriage has been miserable. Yes, you could say I am letting this continue to hurt me. That’s my dilemma. I know what I need to make happen, but it is difficult. I have been thinking about this situation a lot lately because we have been fighting a lot. I started taking baby steps forward in my head to forgive her. Then, she did it again… She “doesn’t mean to” destroy our marriage, but it is falling apart right before my eyes…
Do you mean
a) she keeps saying she didn’t mean to hurt you by an action in the past, but that her explanations aren’t apologies, let alone disavowals of the past action, and therefore what she says isn’t achieving a reconciliation with you or

b) that she keeps doing something that she knows hurts you because she doesn’t mean it to hurt you because she (and presumably your husband) expects that instead of her stopping the action, you’re supposed to stop being hurt by her continuing to do it?

Those are two fairly different things. If she’s doing something that hurts you deeply and she can’t or won’t stop, then you may have to avoid her. After all, if she can refrain just while she’s around you and simply refuses to, what kind of friend is she? What your husband does about that, that is another thing. If she is hurting you by being inappropriate with your husband, he needs to learn to recognize what you’re talking about and either a) not let her do it (rather than making you complain) or b) establish with you that he thinks you are putting inappropriate boundaries on everyone else. In case (b), the problem is between you and your husband, not you and this other person.

For instance, if you were being jealous over nothing or simply jealous because she is attractive to your husband in ways that you aren’t, that wouldn’t be something your husband ought to let you use to control him or other people. You couldn’t choose your circle of friends based on whether the women are willing to dress in order to suit you when your husband thinks their dress is totally appropriate. You couldn’t expect someone to quit cracking jokes because it hurts your feelings that your husband laughs at her jokes. You could expect her not to make jokes at your expense. You of course can expect her not to flirt with your husband or make personal remarks about your marriage. You can expect him to refrain from acting in a way that makes it seem he prefers other women to you.

As far as your marriage falling apart, that is an issue between you and your husband. If your marriage is taking a hit on account of a third party’s actions, it is not the outside-the-marriage action but your husband’s response (or failure to respond) or else your unrealistic expectations that are doing the damage. Leave her out of the “ruining your marriage” part, then, and put the responsibility for that where it belongs, which is on your husband lap, or on yours (or both). I don’t mean to look for blame, only to let you know where to look for a solution. It isn’t her. You don’t have to be able to control the people outside your marriage to have a good marriage. Your marriage is about the stuff that goes on (or fails to go on) between the two of you. These are boundaries that you and your husband agree on, but not boundaries you can place on the whole rest of the world unilaterally.

Also, there is an extent to which some people are “action blind” in some respect or other. They are as innocent as a person who is color blind…that is, they don’t possess perception where perception is needed, and therefore the degree to which they can avoid certain mistakes is limited. If a colorblind person who becomes aware that they don’t have a capacity to distinguish colors that other people have, then they can learn some of the circumstances in which they need help, and therefore can be responsible to get help or avoid those situations. They are still going to make mistakes, though, because they can’t always perceive the situations where they need help.

Does that make sense? That is really not the same as being culpably insensitive or inconsiderate, because the culpably insensitive or inconsiderate person is capable of perceiving the most gracious course, but is too lazy or uncaring to look for it or take it. Rather, this kind of person is innocently insensitive. That doesn’t mean they can’t unintentionally cause any harm, but it does mean that they can’t justly be held responsible for an action they didn’t have the means to avoid. They deserve to get a little latitude, and they deserve to have a generous interpretation when they make mistakes.
 
Thank you, Trishie and underacloud.

I’m sorry I didn’t reveal the whole situation. I am afraid someone might identify me. To clarify some things, this person is not in any way intimate with my husband at all. I do not worry about him leaving me for another lady.

She is not happy that I am in this marriage. She pretends, but she hasn’t gotten over it yet. She blamed everything on me. She thinks I am controlling my husband, even after we both told her that we make decisions together. Anything that she didn’t/doesn’t like is my fault in her eyes. She accused me of doing something, and she does the same thing around us.

I know it’s probably hard to understand… Please ask me questions. I will clarify as much as I can…
 
Easter Joy, thank you so very much for taking your time to respond to my thread…

It is b). She continues to hurt the marriage, and ultimately me by doing those actions. She was apologetic at one point, but never really apologized to me. Her behavior shows that she thinks “I can do whatever I please.” “Don’t get in my business and tell me not to do something.”

My husband acknowledged my hurt at one point and talked to her. I don’t hang around her any more. My husband doesn’t like it and it irritates him. Yes, someone might have guessed by now, she is related to him. That’s why this is complicated…

When I don’t show up for gatherings, I look bad. Like my husband says, everyone thinks the same…“Oh just get over it.” Even when/if I do go to her house for a few min, I cannot pretend to be okay around her & her family members anymore. The damage was THAT bad. I feel that she (and her family members) denied me as a person.

To me, she is in my (and our) business way too much. She doesn’t recognize me as someone capable so she has to do it for me. Or she would do things without consulting me. She won’t say it out loud anymore. She isn’t dumb.

My husband is in a hard position, I understand. However, I’d take my spouse over anyone else in a heartbeat, if the same happened to him.
 
The way you describe it, your husband has acknowledged the situation and spoken to her about it. What more do you want from him?

You need to be aware of differences in the way men and women act. For a man (for context, I am a man), we want to solve problems. If the problem has no resolution, we cope with it. But we don’t keep talking about it. Talking…to most men…does not help to solve problems so is a waste of time. Your husband is probably irritated that you keep bringing this up, because he doesn’t see any point in talking about it further, while you are irritated with him because women want to talk about issues. This is a classic problem between the sexes and hopefully if you can acknowledge this you may be able to see the difficult position your husband is in.

He’s not choosing her over you. He’s talked to her and dealt with it as best he can, so it’s a closed subject. That’s what men do.

If you have a need to talk about this, which is understandable, find a sympathetic female friend to unload on. Please don’t keep putting your husband in an impossible situation.
 
When that degree of harm exists with in-law relationships, and one retreats, it does become difficult to brave things out and to prove oneself as the absenting deepens the family rift and blame. Absenting oneself is limited protection. I know it’s hurtful. Even with my stepmother after my mother died. She just wanted to adopt the youngest two of my siblings, and the rest of us felt like second-class family. We weren’t good enough. 🙂 We braved it out for the family’s sake and for my Dad’s. It would have been helpful if she’d said sorry before she died for all the hurt she caused, sometimes, without witnesses, really quite cruel. I never answered, never caused a fuss, but in the end she did become more accepting and kind. In our case, braving out the discomfort and hurt, and being kind ourselves despite the fact we older ones couldn’t do right. That worked to keep the family united. So you see I do have some experience of feeling like rubbish for years. It hurt. I don’t know if it’s too late for you to ‘brave it out’, be only charitable back? Maybe this person, possibly your mother-in-law, is incapable of responding? But she has maternal fears, and there are issues, obviously that cause her fear, rightly or wrongly. That you don’t want act as part of the family, e.g. being present for family events, would exaserbate those fears.

Another relationship that was hurtful were my parents-in-law. We were 100 miles away from my siblings and father because my husband wanted to be near his parents.
They were of a restrictive kind of English immigrants. I was told off by his mother for not sitting square on to the table when I was 8 months pregnant and talking to her as she did something at the kitchen sink. I was told off for coming over to visit with my husband after my baby was born so I wouldn’t be left home by myself all the times in the week that he went to visit them in the evenings…and so on. So I do know that being pleasant yourself, and sticking it out can mean that eventually you are accepted and even welcomed.

In the first instance, I couldn’t and wouldn’t complain to my Dad who had enough on his plate. He never knew I left home because even everything I did to help, as I had helped my mother, was criticized. In the second instance, I couldn’t say much to my young husband about my hurt without getting my head blown off. He hadn’t really left home. That’s not easy. His mother did everything better than I did in his opinion, that hurt.

I guess I’m trying to demonstrate endurance and kindness from oneself can help to gradually change one’s relationship with in-laws, (and with stepmothers). I know it’s hard to live out, but the alternate is ongoing, exhausting warfare. I only once said something to my stepmother, when she said something hard about us older girls in later years. I explained a couple of things, and told her why I’d left home. Later, Dad said, that she had told him that she now believed that most of the problems with we older ones had been her fault. She never said so to us, but it was good to know at last that she saw us in a different way.

I hope you can find a way that these shattered and hurtful relationships, no less hurtful for her, no less oppressive, can be gradually worked out with kindness and positive approach.
I hope so, to end the maternal and family unhappiness that exists, and your own hurt and feeling of rejection.
 
Thank you, underacloud. Your response shed some light.

I understand how he thinks. That’s why I don’t talk about this…until it builds up within me. What I do want him to understand is that this is still on-going and continues to make our marriage very difficult. I want him to understand that I am struggling with it but wanting to come to peace. I want him to know it is very difficult and I feel worthless for not being able to overcome it.

You are right. He is not choosing her over me. He is avoiding this whole situation. He wants no conflict, and he doesn’t like me not being able to handle it on my own. He says I am a sick person. I have problems.

Some have suggested counseling. I am currently seeing a Catholic counselor, and my husband knows it.
 
Thank you, Trishie. Your words are very touching…

This person just didn’t think I was capable enough to be in the position I have been in. All her actions spoke her belief on me. I am not stupid, though. When she said “I didn’t mean to step on your toes.” I came to the conclusion that she is just refusing to have me in this picture. I had a difficult time accepting this because the bible says that man leaves his parents and becomes one with his wife. That didn’t happen from Day 1, and still hasn’t happened completely.

I got married in church, had kids, and have been taking care of the whole family with my husband. I guess I’m not good enough. She cannot let go of the past where SHE was the one to do all those things for my husband and his kids. She openly praised his ex, who never got married and had two kids with two different men, for being a good mom. I don’t know about someone with a child being a good mom while she sleeps around and gets pregnant with someone who runs away from her… Even if she believed it, why did she have to tell me that? Insensitive…can I say?
 
She openly praised his ex, who never got married and had two kids with two different men, for being a good mom. I don’t know about someone with a child being a good mom while she sleeps around and gets pregnant with someone who runs away from her… Even if she believed it, why did she have to tell me that? Insensitive…can I say?
This isn’t necessarily a comparison. It does mean that your mother-in-law is kind enough to see what does happen to be good in this woman. This woman may be a good mother in the sense of the effort she puts in directly to the children one even if the mother has made some mistakes in her life. That she didn’t marry your husband may be in compliance with her beliefs, and of your husband’s at that period? It doesn’t mean she’s a bad mother.

Part of the issue may also be your self-esteem and sensitivity? As a mother-in-law I’d be quite nervous, thinking what I could say that would be taken amiss when I’m sharing my honest thoughts. I do tend to see the goodness in amongst the faults and flaw too. I am nervous of one of my daughters-in-law, always a bit concerned that my trust will lead me to express some thought she will react adversely to.

I have an ex-daughter-in -law who is now mother to two children, one my grandchild. One of these was born out of wedlock, but she is and was a fantastic mother, doing all she understands that is for their balanced and happy development, with certainty of her love, and all efforts towards the best development of their talents. She’s not a bad mother because her actions have not always been according to my beliefs. She was a former Baptist who was now an agnostic. What standard should I have held her to? (She has since returned to belief and had her second child baptized Catholic)

We keep in touch as good friends. She is family due to the fact that her son is my grandchild. Yes, she has two children from two different men, but has great qualities also. She broke my son’s heart, and caused us all a lot of distress, but she is in fact a good mother, quite exceptional in some ways, if not always a good example, her love and care of the children is very good. I have another ex daughter-in-law, and she also remains a family friend because yes, she wasn’t the wife my son could have wished for but she has some great qualities.

Your mother-in-law may be unwise to trust you with such reflections as you are sensitive and take it as a comparison and a ‘put-down’, but it does show she is able to see goodness in others regardless of their faults and mistakes. That could work for you, if you were able to give her the warmth, understanding, and welcome, that she, as a person and as a mother, also needs.

It can be just as scary to be a mother-in-law as to be a daughter-in-law or a son-in-law. And yes, we love our children very much and do need the reassurance of being welcomed ourselves, and of seeing our adult child happy. You can be sure that she has suffered over this sort of issue between you.

I hope that you can become more confident in yourself as a precious person and that your peace in doing so will help your relationship with your husband’s mother and family to be secure and happy.
 
This isn’t necessarily a comparison. It does mean that your mother-in-law is kind enough to see what does happen to be good in this woman. This woman may be a good mother in the sense of the effort she puts in directly to the children one even if the mother has made some mistakes in her life. That she didn’t marry your husband may be in compliance with her beliefs, and of your husband’s at that period? It doesn’t mean she’s a bad mother.

Part of the issue may also be your self-esteem and sensitivity? As a mother-in-law I’d be quite nervous, thinking what I could say that would be taken amiss when I’m sharing my honest thoughts. I do tend to see the goodness in amongst the faults and flaw too. I am nervous of one of my daughters-in-law, always a bit concerned that my trust will lead me to express some thought she will react adversely to.

Your mother-in-law may be unwise to trust you with such reflections as you are sensitive and take it as a comparison and a ‘put-down’, but it does show she is able to see goodness in others regardless of their faults and mistakes. That could work for you, if you were able to give her the warmth, understanding, and welcome, that she, as a person and as a mother, also needs.

It can be just as scary to be a mother-in-law as to be a daughter-in-law or a son-in-law. And yes, we love our children very much and do need the reassurance of being welcomed ourselves, and of seeing our adult child happy. You can be sure that she has suffered over this sort of issue between you.

I hope that you can become more confident in yourself as a precious person and that your peace in doing so will help your relationship with your husband’s mother and family to be secure and happy.
Thank you Trishie again for your wise words.

Yes, I agree with you. She probably didn’t mean to compare, and this mother is probably a good mother to her child (my stepchild). Yes, I am very sensitive, especially about this whole situation. I want you to understand though that I didn’t mean to attack anyone who made mistakes in the past. I am one of them. I cannot cast a stone to another sinner.

However, it’s natural to feel sensitive, hurt, and judged in such a situation where I get blamed for absolutely everything that happens and everything I do with my husband. This child’s mother didn’t do things I have been doing with my husband with an intention of getting all of us to Heaven. What else do i need to please her? What else do I need to get her off my back? I am very tired. Whatever I do, she doesn’t like it. Whatever I don’t do, she doesn’t like it. And after years of trying to do things right (according to our Catholic faith), she tells me I’m not good enough.

I am simply very exhausted…
 
I once had a friend who had this way about her that made me really admire her. She seemed to be able to forgive the unforgivable without making it seemed difficult. She told me that she prayed constantly for person who she had to forgive even when they had not acknowled the issues and that this helped her by the grace of God move on. I do not want to make you feel that your issues could go away so easily, but what do you have to lose by trying? God bless you.
 
Thank you, Monicad, for your prayer. I really need it.

I want my husband to hear me out, understand the struggle, and try to talk to her so she won’t bother us in the way she has been. He won’t. He doesn’t want to listen to me because it irritates him. He doesn’t want to understand the struggle I face. He says I need to “just get over it already.” He doesn’t want to stand up for me. He says he won’t because it’d be disrespectful. So he would rather have this lady disrespect me…
 
…What else do i need to please her? What else do I need to get her off my back? I am very tired. Whatever I do, she doesn’t like it. Whatever I don’t do, she doesn’t like it. And after years of trying to do things right (according to our Catholic faith), she tells me I’m not good enough.

I am simply very exhausted…
This may seem harsh, but it is time to stop caring whether you please her or not. It is like trying to please the wind or to satisfy the ocean. Even if she could be pleased, what profit would it do to any soul involved for you to be so concerned with pleasing her?

I love to quote Mother Theresa: God did not call me to be successful. God called me to be faithful. IOW, act in a way that pleases God, and let God concern himself with melting your MIL. After all, if you love others and get no reward from them, it will be God who will reward you. Looked at that way, you oughta be able to make lots of eternal hay with this old lady!

Most of all, turn to the Lord. He knows all about being misunderstood; he knows all about people who are impossible to please, who are either unimpressed or jealous if anyone else does something of merit. If you don’t believe me, meditate on what he meant by this: “Then to what shall I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? They are like children who sit in the marketplace and call to one another, ‘We played the flute for you, but you did not dance. We sang a dirge, but you did not weep.’ For John the Baptist came neither eating food nor drinking wine, and you said, ‘He is possessed by a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking and you said, ‘Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is vindicated by all her children.” Luke 7:31-35

Let go of pleasing her. Let go of expecting that your husband will rescue from her. Please God, instead. If she is pleased, fine, that will be very nice for everyone. Everyone likes to be liked, there is nothing wrong if you enjoy it should she decide to like you. If not, though, take care that you have served God in spite of how difficult she makes it. Do that, and you will have an even greater reward than if you had your reward from her or your husband. If your husband goes to bat for you, great. If he does not, God will be your witness when the only binding judgment takes place. The judgement of your MIL is just so much hot air.

Besides, it is easier to do a positive thing than to avoid a negative thing. Make this about doing good instead of avoiding bad feelings, then. If you are hurt and yet continue to be loving, there is only merit in that for you.

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” Matt. 11:28-30
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top