How to group prayer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicJon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicJon

Guest
I’ve been Catholic for about a year and a half now and before that I was agnostic and my parents, although Presbyterian, never really prayed much at dinner etc. I’ve also not been in a lot of group prayer…I have trouble following the Rosary in group the few times that I have just because I’m so used to saying it myself…I start to just say the entire thing and forget where I’m at and that im not doing it alone.

Now recently I’ve been asked several times to lead opening prayers or closing prayers when helping out with RCIA and other volunteer work or even at dinner with friends or family.

The problem is I have NO idea what to say. At dinner I can do the quick prayer that we all know but that is about it. So my question is are there any tips on what to say, how to say it? I pray all the time privately, but in a group I just can’t seem to find the right words and I get nervous so I normally decline and let someone else lead.

Thanks!
 
CatholicJon,
My family usually just says the quick meal prayer, but sometimes, we just open it up for anyone to say whatever prayer or intention they want.

Jason
 
Here is an outline you can follow:
  1. Thank God for being able to come together in the group.
  2. Ask Him to help you all remember Him and seek to glorify Him in all you do.
  3. May the only reward of loving You be to love You more and more.
Amen.

and some people have the gift of words just popping into their heads and have an easy time praying aloud, but some people don’t. Don’t worry if you don’t have that gift. Just try to focus on God instead of your fear and follow the simple outline. Then with practise, it becomes easier and less scary–at least that is what has happened in my experience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top