L
Lilbrother
Guest
Hi brothers and sisters.
As a newcomer on this forum, I must say have a lot on my mind. So I thought I might share some thoughts with you, and I kindly ask for your indulgence and your insight.
(N.B. I will have to post my question in two parts, due to space restrictions)
You see, I am a remorseful sinner.
I have not grown in a faithful christian family, and becoming a catholic has been my own choice, or should I say, my calling, as an adult, even though I received the sacrament of christening as a baby, My grandmother is a christian, but she has never practised too much, although she was the one who insisted that we be christened, my cousins and I, as children. Anyway I never heard she talk too much about God.
My parents have spent most of their life rejecting God, and even I, for a long time, have been questioning His wisdom and His judgment, out of ignorance or narcissism.
Some say that newly converted believers “are more catholic than the pope”, and in a way, I sometimes observe that my faith can be very “epidermal”. So, gradually, it has been taking more space in my life, although I don’t pray enough, and sometimes find myself in situations where I’m sad or disoriented and don’t have the reflex of calling to God for help. My bad.
So I ask myself questions. And I go far. I think I came in this website today because last night, I was granted what I believe was a vision of Heaven. I saw something. A situation. I can’t tell for sure if it was me welcoming them, or them welcoming me, but I saw my parents in Heaven. Someone’s arrival to the kingdom of God. Us together there. A vision I wish with all my heart to become true. Maybe it was an answer to my worries, in regards to the eternity of my beloved one’s souls.
You see, my mother is a social worker. She is someone entirely devoted to helping others, and for that reason, she’s more christian in acts than me and most people. She is loved and respected by many people in need, elderly, disabled people, people who had accidents and cannot work anymore… Yet, I guess she has been long lost in her private life. For years, I heard she say that she worshipped Satan. My apologies if that comes as a shock to some. To her, the beast was the one who offered freedom and independence, the values she had been cherishing throughout her very hard life. She has fought hard to survive, and many times she told me that she had not given up on life only because of me.
Through discussions, I came to explain to her that the “one” she thought she was worshipping, in the way she described Him, was God himself. Not the other one.
God is the One who gave us our freedom. The way I understand God, He is not as much the “ban”, as the necessity which underlies the ban. I used a metaphor of breathing : “I could choose to stop breathing, to make use of that radical possibility of my freewill. But nobody in their right mind would think of doing that, of course.”
I think she got it.
As a newcomer on this forum, I must say have a lot on my mind. So I thought I might share some thoughts with you, and I kindly ask for your indulgence and your insight.
(N.B. I will have to post my question in two parts, due to space restrictions)
You see, I am a remorseful sinner.
I have not grown in a faithful christian family, and becoming a catholic has been my own choice, or should I say, my calling, as an adult, even though I received the sacrament of christening as a baby, My grandmother is a christian, but she has never practised too much, although she was the one who insisted that we be christened, my cousins and I, as children. Anyway I never heard she talk too much about God.
My parents have spent most of their life rejecting God, and even I, for a long time, have been questioning His wisdom and His judgment, out of ignorance or narcissism.
Some say that newly converted believers “are more catholic than the pope”, and in a way, I sometimes observe that my faith can be very “epidermal”. So, gradually, it has been taking more space in my life, although I don’t pray enough, and sometimes find myself in situations where I’m sad or disoriented and don’t have the reflex of calling to God for help. My bad.
So I ask myself questions. And I go far. I think I came in this website today because last night, I was granted what I believe was a vision of Heaven. I saw something. A situation. I can’t tell for sure if it was me welcoming them, or them welcoming me, but I saw my parents in Heaven. Someone’s arrival to the kingdom of God. Us together there. A vision I wish with all my heart to become true. Maybe it was an answer to my worries, in regards to the eternity of my beloved one’s souls.
You see, my mother is a social worker. She is someone entirely devoted to helping others, and for that reason, she’s more christian in acts than me and most people. She is loved and respected by many people in need, elderly, disabled people, people who had accidents and cannot work anymore… Yet, I guess she has been long lost in her private life. For years, I heard she say that she worshipped Satan. My apologies if that comes as a shock to some. To her, the beast was the one who offered freedom and independence, the values she had been cherishing throughout her very hard life. She has fought hard to survive, and many times she told me that she had not given up on life only because of me.
Through discussions, I came to explain to her that the “one” she thought she was worshipping, in the way she described Him, was God himself. Not the other one.
God is the One who gave us our freedom. The way I understand God, He is not as much the “ban”, as the necessity which underlies the ban. I used a metaphor of breathing : “I could choose to stop breathing, to make use of that radical possibility of my freewill. But nobody in their right mind would think of doing that, of course.”
I think she got it.