How to make a solitary retreat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SilverAvenger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SilverAvenger

Guest
Okay everyone, this is my first post in this sort of thing, and I’m not even sure if I’m asking this on the right place…

So, I was thinking about making a retreat, problem is, I can’t afford books on the subject and I don’t have the slightless clue on how to start.

Does anyone here has any sort of experience on the matter and would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance.
 
I think find a catholic monastery that offers a retreat, such as the Poor Clare nuns.
 
A solitary retreat is close to an oxymoron.

The closest thing to that would be with a good spiritual book in quiet, or at least in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament.

Jesus will show us many things if we can be quiet enough and allow him to during an hour of adoration. I recommend a good book, though, as a supplement, or maybe an add-on.

We could recommend some good books.
 
I’m not sure what you mean by “retreat.” At home or away from home? How long? A few hours? A few days? A few weeks? Is complete or near-complete silence important to you? What would you do on retreat? What are you hoping to accomplish through it?

I’ve been on three retreats away from home, ranging in length from three to ten days. All were silent, which in practice meant very little talking rather than no talking. Two were in abbeys, the third at a retreat center. I met daily with a spiritual guide for one while the other two were unguided. Before embarking upon each, I had a clear objective in mind and a rough idea how I was going to attain it. I was never totally alone, but everyone present knew not to bother the other retreatants and there was plenty of space for us to totally avoid each other if desired, even for hours on end.

You say you can’t afford books, and that concerns me because—at least in my corner of the planet—retreats involving overnight stays are far more expensive than books on the topic. Worth it in my opinion, and sometimes you can get a reduction due to financial hardship (if you’re unemployed, for example) but there’s still a cost associated with going on retreat.
 
I can’t buy them :confused:

I live in the house of atheists that only allow me to have the religious items I fabricate by my own hand, so all the books I get have to be both digital and free, or else they’ll be caught and those I can’t say that they’re part of the heirloom my grandmother left me.

Speaking of which, I found a book amist of it [during the few minutes after posting this…divine intervention, perhaps? ] which was to serve as daily meditation for religious. Sadly, I only have Tome II. It is entitled “Practical Meditations for every day of the year by Fr Bruno Vercruysse, S. J.”, which starts on July 1st and ends on December 31. In the bottom, it has a section entitled “Monthly Retreat”. It was planned for professed religious. Think I could use it, being a lay person professing the evangelical councils withought actual vows?

Any ideas?
 
Okay, now I’m really confused. Please bear with me.

Can you not afford to buy books, or are you prohibited from buying books on this topic (but you have the money to do so)?
 
Okay, now I’m really confused. Please bear with me.

Can you not afford to buy books, or are you prohibited from buying books on this topic (but you have the money to do so)?
I have the money, but I’m not allowed. Plus, I don’t exactly have a bank account. Becides, can you read my previous post? I was editing it when you posted here ^^;
 
You might check out the possibility of going somewhere for a retreat. I went a couple of times to a place in Missouri that was a big help. It’s run by nuns, and offers little “hermitages” (or whatever else you want to call them) for each person. Up to five can be at the place where I went. Although it seemed like I was the only one there at both times I went. It was basically a solitary retreat, with one of the nuns being a retreat director. I ate alone, I slept alone, and did almost everything alone. Except going to Mass and going to their prayer times. It was a beautiful place in the country. I wish I could go again, but currently things don’t look like I’ll be able to.
 
You can read/download some books from ccel.org/
Not all of them are Catholic, but many of them are.
You can also do an internet search for online Catholic retreats to find some material to work with.
 
SilverAvenger, how about starting at Creighton University for their online retreats?
Listen to the Online Retreat. We have recorded the Weeks of the online retreat, including the Guide, the Getting Started page, the help: For the Journey, and the prayer: In These Or Similar Words…
You can download each MP3 file and listen to each week offline or burn them to a CD, or transfer them to your MP3 Player.
Imagine listening to a week of the retreat, early in the week, while going to work, taking a walk or making dinner.
Or read the printed material through each week, and review it via these audio files.
 
SilverAvenger, how about starting at Creighton University for their online retreats?
Thanks for the links. I’m taking a look at it and so far, I’m liking it.

I was going to send you a message asking if you knew anything of this sort, but then, I don’t want to be a pain and bother people ^^;
 
Ask a religious priest (as opposed to a diocesan priest).

Do a google search and hope for the best.

Drive to a Trappist Monastery and spend a few days there. But first let them know you’re coming.
 
Ask a religious priest (as opposed to a diocesan priest).

Do a google search and hope for the best.

Drive to a Trappist Monastery and spend a few days there. But first let them know you’re coming.
Would love that, but a) Atheist family. B) No driver’s licence c) No Trappist Monastary. I live in semi-rural Portugal. After 1910, religious orders were banned. Only VERY recently that they’ve started repopulating. That means that to find a religious priest, it’s a royal pain in the backside since there are very few.
 
**
INFORMATION TO USE FOR A SOLITARY RETREAT

This information is available at CCEL.ORG;

Or if you are looking for a more complicated retreat, there are other subjects such as
The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross which is found here;**

'The Dark Night of the Soul
ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/dark_night/mp3******

Or

Abandonment to Divine Providence
ccel.org/ccel/decaussade/abandonment.html


Another book that is a personal favorite is;

Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence (or God’s Holy Will)
saintsbooks.net/books/Fr.%20Jean%20Baptiste%20Saint-Jure%20and%20St.%20Claude%20de%20la%20Columbiere%20-%20Trustful%20Surrender%20to%20Divine%20Providence.pdf

*****SilverAvenger, I think the information at Creighton University will probably give you much more in depth information on how to actually “do” a solitary retreat!

May God be with you and guide your efforts to grow closer to Him! 🎉

 
Thank you so much, everybody! I now have enough material for quite a few months! Thanks and God Bless!
 
Would love that, but a) Atheist family. B) No driver’s licence c) No Trappist Monastary. I live in semi-rural Portugal. After 1910, religious orders were banned. Only VERY recently that they’ve started repopulating. That means that to find a religious priest, it’s a royal pain in the backside since there are very few.
That awful communism. I’d forgotten how virulent it was in your country. Use the internet. Try to visit Fatima.
 
Yes…I second other poster’s suggestion to try and get to Fatima. You certainly can make a day retreat there and may find other sources to look into about making such a retreat nearby there. What better grounds to be at than where Our Blessed Mother made her presence!
 
Well, I am trying to make pressure to be allowed to go there on foot. If not, on the van of a few friends for the 13th of may 🙂

But so far it’s been a slight nightmare to get my mother’s approval.

By the way, we’re not communists. We’re Monarquists. Only that my mom is as ex-nun who hates religion nowdays [9/11 made her generalize her adversion] and he bosses arround the whole family, including dad, who is theist.
 
Just want to say good luck! You have many obstacles but you can do this!,
 
Take a prayer and go out for a walk with God. I used to do that in college. I was working and going to school and surrounded by people indifferent towards God and spiritual things, which included my own parents. Just be alone with Him and His creation. You say you live in rural area. I used to go to the ocean, the sound of waves crashing and occasional seagull drown out the noise of busy society. I am sure wind and birdsong can be found where you are. Stay close to Him, He will not abandon you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top