How to read the Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tomcmaj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tomcmaj

Guest
I just finished reading Karen Armstrong’s “biography” of the Bible. A truly fascinating book that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in the Bible.

I’m interested in finding out how people here approach reading the Bible?

For my part, many years ago I started a very linear approach, reading from Genesis through to Chronicles (stopped there for a while). After that, I would occasionally read one of the gospels.

Recently I decided out of the blue to read three Bibles at the same time, just the New Testament, though. Very early on, this became a very exciting exercise, and I’m continuing to do that with the Prophets. Since there is no perfect way to translate from one language to another, or accept or reject newer archeological finds, I find that I can really see between the lines of different interpretations into a book that is truly sacred. And I feel that the experience itself is not only insightful, but sacred as well.

:bible1:
 
Before returning to my Catholic roots.
  • from start to finish in a year, NIV.
  • from start to finish chronologically in a year, NIV
Now that I’ve returned
  • New Testament in a year, Confraternity
  • starting the 3 year Sunday cycle of readings, RSV-CE along with Light of the Word by von Balthasar
After that I’ll probably do the two year cycle of daily readings with reflections.
 
There are different paths to take.

I miss a lot just by reading the text of scripture. I need a commentary or at least a study bible to go along with it. The “commentary” is the recommendation of the Pontifical Biblical Commission. Notice, this is not a group-study approach.

I’ve only read the OT through. The NT is too hard for me. Romans and Acts are very complicated, to me.

The problem with the commentary-at-your-side approach, they don’t address some obvious questions that come up. Sometimes another commentary will expand my insights. But, even two commentaries are not enough.

Example. I read the section of exodus on the ten plagues that were sent to afflict Egypt. Well, what I read in Exodus is that plagues against cattle were in several of the plagues. The commentary didn’t even mention that the Egyptians worshipped cattle. So, those plagues were attacks on their “gods” to begin with. But, what immediately confused me is that there are several attacks on cattle. Why didn’t one just wipe them out and be done? Why did it take several plagues? etc.

If I just had read through these verses about the plagues, what have I learned?

The book of Judges has a lot of deeper meaning in it, too. .

Then, as a commentary points out, Paul is anything but systematic in his letters. They were written for specific purposes. They do not give his theology a system treatment. I go crazy trying to read his letters.

I think there’s a point to reading the Bible in a year, once every few years, and that it to get some general familiarization with it. But, I didn’t learn everything that’s there by just reading the OT (which is as far as I got).

I think Jews are on a three-year cycle for reading the Torah and the Hafterah ( the readings that go along with the Torah “portions.” By comparison.

God bless all you one-year Bible readers. I don’t fit into that reading plan – I miss too much doing that. There was just too much stuff that sailed right over my head, doing that. God bless you though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top