How to Respond to this...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jacob21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jacob21

Guest
Hello all, I have a question. What would be the best way to repsond to a Methodist saying that they are saved? She seems to be hostile to the Catholic Faith, more in a passive way though. We started talking about Religion, and I said that the Catholic Church is the “Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth.” She really didnt say anything about that, but then I said I hope and pray that the protestant denominations will reconcile themselves with the Church. She said she didnt think that would happen and that she would not change. (I wasn’t asking her, I was just simply stating.) Then I said “I hope and pray I see that day. It will be a joyous day when all will discover the fullness of truth that is the Catholic Church. That is my greatest wish and prayer.” Those are my exact words. Then she said something like “what are you calling me?” I said “Im not calling you anything. Im just saying that the reformation is a sad event in history. I want everyone to know the Truth of Salvation. I’m not saying anything about you. Only a desire for true happiness.” Then she said about how she was saved since she was five, and said she’s sick of talking about it. So I said sorry I didnt text her back right away, I was busy, and that there was no need to get angry about this. Did I do anything wrong? I’m thinking I was a little too strong in my delivery? What do you think, and how should I handle this?
God Bless
 
Well, I know that people get easily offended at the wrong words. I can see how she might be offended. I think she thought you were calling her a non-Christian, or destined for a rather unpleasant place after death. Whenever anyone mentions “fullness of Truth” or “Truth of Salvation” things get touchy, especially with assumptions. There are people who get upset if they don’t have the fullness of Truth because it either means you don’t have the fullness or you don’t have Truth. There are people who get upset when you mention Truth of Salvation because it gets into a very sticky situation regarding salvation outside the Church. It’s not your fault, and I’m sure if explained properly she might understand, seeing as how I think she has the same opinion about you. Then again, she might be one of those people who think everyone’s saved or something else.

In my opinion, if she’s still willing to talk to you, apologize again and ask how she was offended, as I might be incorrect in my interpretation of above. Be very sincere and open-minded about this, as it seems you’re not interested in converting her with a huge stick, but rather in being her friend and if the Lord uses you as His tool then so be it. Don’t ever make any assumption about any word’s definition either. If you’re uncertain about how she defines something, ask, and always present how you describe something if possible. It would also help if you learned something about what Methodists believe. I understand that they are fairly similar to use, but not near as close as the Orthodox or to cross the Tiber just yet. Remember never to push, throw names, accuse, or jump the gun about anything. Hey, anybody else have other ideas? I thought this would have been addressed by now. If this wasn’t a helpful post, tell me why and I’ll figure something out.
 
I have a very good friend who is a devout Lutheran. We discuss religion often, but we discuss it in this context. I am willing to listen to him describe problems he has with his congregation, his activities at church and moral issues. I ask him questions about Lutheran practices and divisions among Lutherans because I am genuinely interested. The discussions prompted me to read several books on the Reformation, and I think I know more about Martin Luther now than he does.

He asks me similar questions about my Catholic faith and, where possible, I discuss with him my feelings regarding faith alone - that faith and works are a difference without a distinction - and regarding scripture alone - that surely God spoke to man before the bible was known as the bible and after it was completed. Sometimes it is clear he disagrees with Catholic beliefs or they are completely alien to him, but I don’t get defensive. Conversely neither does he.

So from this experience, I would recommend a respect for the beliefs of others, an interest in those beliefs and a willingness to represent your faith when the opportunity arises. And if you throw in a few prayers for the other’s conversion, who knows?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top