How to tell Protestant friend that only Catholics receive Eucharist...?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ballet_dancer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ballet_dancer

Guest
I’m decently educated on why only Catholics can receive the Eucharist. I still have trouble wrapping my head around it sometimes but for the most part I understand it pretty well. But here’s the situation:

A friend of mine recently began attending daily mass within the last couple months. We are both in college. I have been at the same mass as him maybe twice or three times now but never actually gone with him/sat with him. No reason in particular.

The first time I noticed that he received the Eucharist…we don’t talk much so I never said anything to him.

Within the next couple days the priest and I were talking and something about my friend came up. I mentioned that he’s not Catholic but I’m really excited he’s been attending mass…so now I thought it was safe to assume that the priest knows for sure that my friend is not Catholic…

But then I went to mass recently last week and he received the Eucharist again.

What really gets me is that prior to him attending mass we were talking about the Eucharist and I explained why only Catholics receive. He believes that CC is flawed in many arenas and that this is one of them. So I almost feel like he’s receiving with knowing that the only Catholics receive?

He’s very knowledgeable about Christian history and the Bible. A part of me feels like he’s taking a “I know better than the CC so even though I’m not Catholic I’m just going to receive anyway” approach.

Overall, I feel like I’m in a sticky situation. I’m still pretty confident the priest knows (could be wrong on that one though…). I know. My friend knows.

Should I say something? I just don’t know where to take it from here.
 
Go to lunch or have coffee and discuss the RCC faith and respect for communion within Catholic tradition and the standard that the sacrament is made beforehand. Dpn’t expect the Priest to be the police at church

I know plenty of people that should not take communion in a Catholic church and do so anyway. Some is honest lack of understanding (such as your friend), others lack of respect as they don’t care, others play by their own rules and are Catholic in name only.
 
I had a similar situation when my little sister’s friend somehow received communion. That is when I found out that only Catholics can “receive” communion.

I don’t know what to tell you. Does your church have “special” Eucharistic ministers? If so, then I would recommend staying next to your friend and go in front of him/her. That way, you can tell the “special” Eucharistic minister that the person behind you is not Catholic.

If not, then tell the priest that gives Communion and he will remember not to give it to your friend when he/she tries to receive.

PS: When are the Roman Rite churches going to disallow these “special” Eucharistic ministers? Is it already not allowed?
 
I think my friend is likely aware of the teaching but chooses to believe that he knows better than the CC…

In my mind and heart, it makes sense why non-Catholics and the situations where Catholics should not receive the Eucharist. But I just don’t know how to explain it to someone who is not Catholic and does not respect the church?

I’m just not sure where to start with this one.
 
I had a similar situation when my little sister’s friend somehow received communion. That is when I found out that only Catholics can “receive” communion.

I don’t know what to tell you. Does your church have “special” Eucharistic ministers? If so, then I would recommend staying next to your friend and go in front of him/her. That way, you can tell the “special” Eucharistic minister that the person behind you is not Catholic.

If not, then tell the priest that gives Communion and he will remember not to give it to your friend when he/she tries to receive.

PS: When are the Roman Rite churches going to disallow these “special” Eucharistic ministers? Is it already not allowed?
I’m not sure what you mean by “special” Eucharistic minsters. Could you elaborate please?
 
You might talk with your friend about attending RCIA and becoming Catholic. If he attends daily Catholic Mass, there must be some attraction to Catholicism.

Don’t argue with him about the Eucharist if you have already discussed this once. You have also told the priest that he is not Catholic. That is all that you can be expected to do.
 
The first time I noticed that he received the Eucharist…we don’t talk much so I never said anything to him.
Whoa! :eek::eek:

So, this guy, who describes himself as a “Protestant Christian,” I’m assuming, went to go receive the Eucharist in a Catholic church, and most likely has not been baptized into the Catholic Church and hasn’t attended required religious education to receive the Eucharist!? :confused::confused:

Please clear up any misconceptions…
 
I’m not sure what you mean by “special” Eucharistic minsters. Could you elaborate please?
Eucharistic ministers are people that are not clergy and are distributing the Blessed Sacrament. They are only supposed to be used in special times, so I hear. I said “special” because they always have them distributing at my RC church.
 
If your friend claims to be knowledgeable in church history, maybe this might help if you pass it onto him:

ustin Martyr 148-155 AD:

“This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us.”
“First Apology”, Ch. 66, inter A.D. 148-155.

----He says “No one is allowed to partake except one who believes the things we teach our true” Now, if you don’t believe in the same things as the Catholic Church, for example you believe that their doctrines are false here and there, how do you believe what they teach is true? How can you then take communion and be united to a body you believe is teaching false things? You can’t.

Justin also mentions how the communion is real flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. many Protestants do not believe communion is the real flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. So then they take the communion of Catholics which is real consecrated flesh and blood of Jesus but believe its only a symbol!!! Paul speaks of not regarding the body and blood of Christ in 1 Corinthians 11:27

Letter to the Trallians 3
Correspondingly everyone must show the deacons respect. They represent Jesus Christ, just as the bishop has the role of Father and the presbyters are like God’s council and an apostolic band. You cannot have a church without these.

-------Ignatius says you can’t have a church without the presbytery, bishops and deacons. he states a clear hierarchy. Protestants often don’t have a hierarchy which isn’t the most important issue here. The issue is that Protestants often flat out deny there is any authority of bishops at all! If you don’t even have a church according to Ignatius’s conditions how can you take communion with this church community whose authity you deny?

“I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who create dissensions and obstacles, in opposition to the teaching that you learned; avoid them.” Rom 16:17

Ignatius of Antioch 107 AD

Letter to the Smyrnaeans 8
Flee from schism as the source of all mischief.
You should all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ did the Father. Follow too the presbytery as you would the apostles and respect the deacons as you would God’s laws. Nobody must do anything with the church without the bishop’s approval. You should regard that Eucharist as valid which is celebrated by either the bishops or someone who represents him. Where the bishops is present, let the congregation gather, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic church.

------------The Eucharist is valid only when celebrated by the bishop or his representative (the presybter). Therefore Protestants being in schism do not have the SAME EUCHARIST as Catholics do wshom are in communion with the bishops and apostolic presbytery. If yopu are in defiance to the bishop and apostolic presbytery, YES, the church has authority to say “No communion for you!!”

Matthew 18:18: "Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Letter to the Philadelphians 3-4
Be careful to observe one Eucharist. For there is one flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ and one cup of his blood; that makes us one, and one altar just as there is one bishop along with the presbytery and the deacons, my fellow slaves. In that way whatever you do is God’s will.

---------The Protestants by maintaining their separation from the apostolic episcopacy, are in effect celebrating a different Eucharist in a church body that does not believe what the apostolic church body teaches is true.
There is only one flesh of Jesus Christ. Jesus cannot disagree with himself:
“That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.” - John 17:21

Therefore when people who believe what the apostolic church teaches is false take the Eucharist, they are in effect dividing Christ. One body in one accord and agreeance takes the Catholic Eucharist, not Bill, Joe and Bob from Bill, Joe and Bob’s church who all disagree with eachother on primary doctrine.

2 Thessalonians 3:6 -
“But, by the authority of the Lord, we command you, brethren, to stand aloof from every brother whose life is disorderly and not in accordance with the teaching which all received from us.”

Where not being mean or bigoted when we don’t allow Protestants to take Catholic communion. Communion is not only becoming one body and soul with Christ, but becoming one body and soul with the church body.

1 Corinthians 10:17-
“Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.”

Therefore if we do not agree and are not reconciled to one another, when taking communion, we dishonestly imply a unity of soul and body that is not there. Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:23-24 that we are to reconcile with one another before offering our gifts at the altar. Aren’t we trying to fake God out when we who are not reconciled or in fact in bitter disagreement go to take the One Eucharist? We are not unified, we are not one in accord and heart as Paul teaches us to be. Why pretend?

Who goes into another person’s house and says “I have a right to eat whatever’s in your fridge!” Its just plain rude to assert your own feelings and opinions over the respected tradition of any church.

I hope this makes some sense…
 
Eucharistic ministers are people that are not clergy and are distributing the Blessed Sacrament. They are only supposed to be used in special times, so I hear. I said “special” because they always have them distributing at my RC church.
Yes - “Extraordinary” is what we call them - we have them at every Mass to help flow of reception of the Eucharist - although I think the more time the better, Christ is worth the wait! 😃

OP - about your friend - I do think you should ask him if he knows about the belief that Catholics hold concerning the fact that the Eucharist is the body and blood, soul and divinity of Our Dearly Beloved Christ, the Lord. When you receive communion, you are saying “Amen” - which means “Yes, I believe! I would stake my life on that!”

If your friend believes that the Eucharist is the true presence, then invite him to RCIA - but also let him know that his yes must mean yes to the fullest - something he can do by aceepting the Catholic Church by conversion and then he can receive the Eucharist.

Until then, remind him that he can only receive a blessing - and encourage his interest in the Catholic Mass and his spiritual journey.

God bless and guide you!

Chloe M.
 
Good intention but way too much information and this will backfire.

Keep it simple
If your friend claims to be knowledgeable in church history, maybe this might help if you pass it onto him:

ustin Martyr 148-155 AD:

“This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us.”
“First Apology”, Ch. 66, inter A.D. 148-155.

----He says “No one is allowed to partake except one who believes the things we teach our true” Now, if you don’t believe in the same things as the Catholic Church, for example you believe that their doctrines are false here and there, how do you believe what they teach is true? How can you then take communion and be united to a body you believe is teaching false things? You can’t.

Justin also mentions how the communion is real flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. many Protestants do not believe communion is the real flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. So then they take the communion of Catholics which is real consecrated flesh and blood of Jesus but believe its only a symbol!!! Paul speaks of not regarding the body and blood of Christ in 1 Corinthians 11:27

Letter to the Trallians 3
Correspondingly everyone must show the deacons respect. They represent Jesus Christ, just as the bishop has the role of Father and the presbyters are like God’s council and an apostolic band. You cannot have a church without these.

-------Ignatius says you can’t have a church without the presbytery, bishops and deacons. he states a clear hierarchy. Protestants often don’t have a hierarchy which isn’t the most important issue here. The issue is that Protestants often flat out deny there is any authority of bishops at all! If you don’t even have a church according to Ignatius’s conditions how can you take communion with this church community whose authity you deny?

“I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who create dissensions and obstacles, in opposition to the teaching that you learned; avoid them.” Rom 16:17

Ignatius of Antioch 107 AD

Letter to the Smyrnaeans 8
Flee from schism as the source of all mischief.
You should all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ did the Father. Follow too the presbytery as you would the apostles and respect the deacons as you would God’s laws. Nobody must do anything with the church without the bishop’s approval. You should regard that Eucharist as valid which is celebrated by either the bishops or someone who represents him. Where the bishops is present, let the congregation gather, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic church.

------------The Eucharist is valid only when celebrated by the bishop or his representative (the presybter). Therefore Protestants being in schism do not have the SAME EUCHARIST as Catholics do wshom are in communion with the bishops and apostolic presbytery. If yopu are in defiance to the bishop and apostolic presbytery, YES, the church has authority to say “No communion for you!!”

Matthew 18:18: "Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Letter to the Philadelphians 3-4
Be careful to observe one Eucharist. For there is one flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ and one cup of his blood; that makes us one, and one altar just as there is one bishop along with the presbytery and the deacons, my fellow slaves. In that way whatever you do is God’s will.

---------The Protestants by maintaining their separation from the apostolic episcopacy, are in effect celebrating a different Eucharist in a church body that does not believe what the apostolic church body teaches is true.
There is only one flesh of Jesus Christ. Jesus cannot disagree with himself:
“That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.” - John 17:21

Therefore when people who believe what the apostolic church teaches is false take the Eucharist, they are in effect dividing Christ. One body in one accord and agreeance takes the Catholic Eucharist, not Bill, Joe and Bob from Bill, Joe and Bob’s church who all disagree with eachother on primary doctrine.

2 Thessalonians 3:6 -
“But, by the authority of the Lord, we command you, brethren, to stand aloof from every brother whose life is disorderly and not in accordance with the teaching which all received from us.”

Where not being mean or bigoted when we don’t allow Protestants to take Catholic communion. Communion is not only becoming one body and soul with Christ, but becoming one body and soul with the church body.

1 Corinthians 10:17-
“Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.”

Therefore if we do not agree and are not reconciled to one another, when taking communion, we dishonestly imply a unity of soul and body that is not there. Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:23-24 that we are to reconcile with one another before offering our gifts at the altar. Aren’t we trying to fake God out when we who are not reconciled or in fact in bitter disagreement go to take the One Eucharist? We are not unified, we are not one in accord and heart as Paul teaches us to be. Why pretend?

Who goes into another person’s house and says “I have a right to eat whatever’s in your fridge!” Its just plain rude to assert your own feelings and opinions over the respected tradition of any church.

I hope this makes some sense…
 
I’m decently educated on why only Catholics can receive the Eucharist. I still have trouble wrapping my head around it sometimes but for the most part I understand it pretty well. But here’s the situation:

AHe’s very knowledgeable about Christian history and the Bible. A part of me feels like he’s taking a “I know better than the CC so even though I’m not Catholic I’m just going to receive anyway” approach.

Overall, I feel like I’m in a sticky situation. I’m still pretty confident the priest knows (could be wrong on that one though…). I know. My friend knows.

Should I say something? I just don’t know where to take it from here.
You should definitely say something. Cite the pertinent section of the Catechism…and …

Give this for him to read…and discuss it a coffee after he reads it…catholicbasictraining.com/apologetics/coursetexts/2c.htm
 
Yes - “Extraordinary” is what we call them - we have them at every Mass to help flow of reception of the Eucharist - although I think the more time the better, Christ is worth the wait! 😃

…

Chloe M.
Extraordinary! That was the word I was looking for. I really have a sort of… dislike toward the whole idea. Lay people cannot give blessings if the persom doesn’t receive the Eucharist. Only ordained people should be able to do that, and I think that the whole “extraordinary” thing is making people confused about this.

Extraordinary means extraordinary! Not everyday!
 
This can be easier than it looks like at first.

Most “Protestant” groups don’t even** claim to have it **as the Catholic Church does.
Those that claim something close to “Eucharist” may have not validly ordained priests.
And though some Protestant Churches teach against the Catholic Eucharist …
The Catholic Church is historic and can trace its orders back to Peter and Christ.

On a larger scale - believing in the Eucharist is a covenant ACT of FAITH.

Some FAITH Questions:

Start with Jesus. Does He REALLY become ***thatclose ***to us in the Eucharist? Or is HE more distant and aloof? Does He dwell within us ever in such intimacy? Or are other human to human intimacies superior and more significant?

Is the Last Supper an awesome twelve o’clock of a new ERA in the history between God and man … or a night of spiritual intimacy between God and*** JUST 12 men that ONE time?***

AND IS it - not REALLY His body (though He said so) or only*** symbolically*** his blood (though he DIDN’T say THAT) or that the Church should NOT “Do THIS” (Just what Jesus DID) but … rather … “something similar” as a “remembrance”?

The Church has answers. God is real. Jesus was and is really God. The Eucharist is TRUE because Jesus said so. He taught NO doctrine as fervently (Read John Chapter 6 - then the Last Supper narratives in Matthew, Mark, and Luke). It is AWESOME! GOD wants YOU! DESIRES a CLOSE relationship with (little precious to Him, made in His image) YOU! REALLY! He stands at the door and knocks with His offer of covenant.

“Take this and eat it – THIS IS my BODY!” < There is no other way to keep the command of John 6’s** “unless …”**

An astounding question would be "Does the Catholic Church merely*** imagine*** a God that becomes ***truly present and intimate in a real way ***to the communicant? MORE intimate and united with him – than God REALLY does?

That is … GOD is more distant, and LESS close to his children than the Catholic Church’s version of Him? Unlikely. MORE likely is like

1 Corinthians 2:9 … “What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him,”

and splendors beyond even the Church’s present knowledge (as it was with Paul).

Also human beings would not have devised such a theology as Jesus taught, nor would it have made UP the Eucharist as a story that would draw people to the new religion.

It was a teaching that LOST Jesus numbers of “followers” when He was right THERE teaching HIMSELF! Men’s gods are more like King Kong or Superman. Never would one die on a cross or do anything like institute the Eucharist.

John 6:52 The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us (his) flesh to eat?” <doubt, disbelief, dissention, (PROTEST!).

53 Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you,*** unless*** you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. <Reiteration of His declaration and a severe warning about rejecting THIS.

54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. < A promise to those who DO believe AND receive in obedience this coming covenant offer of Jesus’ (Himself). :extrahappy::angel1::dancing:

(Continued due to length) :rolleyes:
 
(Continued from previous) :rolleyes:

**Distinctions - Who even claims to have the Eucharist. Why does it matter?
**

The Catholic Church teaches what it does and has back unto the days when the apostles walked. “It” has changed culturally and historically like a child grown to adulthood but believe that Jesus instituted the Eucharist and the Church must keep THAT covenant.

Most (are there any that do?) other “Churches” don’t teach what the Church does about the Eucharist. None teach it exactly as the Catholic Church does. Many don’t call what they do the Eucharist, sometimes not even “Communion”. So “validity” of the Eucharist is not in question. Those “Churches” don’t claim to have it. They MAY teach that the Catholic Eucharist is not true (and other things).

Once establishing that there is no “Protestant Eucharist” (as opposed to the valid orders of the Orthodox Christians not in communion with Rome but with valid sacraments) - if one WANTS the Eucharist (real unity with Christ’s real presence as He provided for) he can receive it … in the Catholic Church, which is inviting all people at all times.

It might seem that the Eucharist is “delayed” to some - but even the apostles had to wait three years to receive the Eucharist and the pearl of great price is worth the wait … and obedience to what HE called “MY CHURCH” is part of HIS plan.

Some Protestant groups just claim to present a memorial of Jesus, using bread and wine because Jesus did. < We can agree with THEM that in that case, it IS just a memorial, bread and wine and remembering Jesus. (Not the Eucharist).

These themselves DON’T teach the same things about the true presence as the Catholic Church and don’t call what they do the Eucharist. More often some of these weigh in and teach that what the Catholic Church does - does not result in the Eucharist (in some cases going so far as to teach that there is no such thing).

The Catholic Church teaches that it does confect the Eucharist (really Jesus becoming present via His own will, body, blood, soul and Divinity) when the Church obeys His command to “Do this …” after declaring what the Eucharist WAS.

The Catholic Church has always “Done THAT” via the apostles and the successors (Bishops and Priests) it has ordained through its power of the keys Jesus gave Peter as leader.

As a doctrine … the Protestant version(s) that don’t teach the true presence are EASY to believe in … so easy that they require NO FAITH!

It’s BREAD you can see that it’s bread. And wine. They remember. Who can deny that? Or why? They truly do what they say.

Ironically, “FAITH!” was the war cry of the early Protestants, as if the Catholics didn’t have any. But believing in the Eucharist requires faith. “Body of Christ.” “AMEN” is a covenant statement and agreement - like it was at the Last Supper.

Jesus used the words “New and Eternal Covenant” shortly after eating the Passover Meal (the Old and temporary covenant if you will). Eating the prescribed foods was part of the Old Covenant, including REALLY (not symbolically - though that too) eating a “lamb,” a “sacrificed lamb.”

In the Eucharist attention to detail in keeping the new covenant is no less important than when the Israelites obediently smeared lamb’s blood over their doorway per the teaching of Moses as a “must do” to be “saved” from the Angel of Death that night.

Can you imagine a Jew on the night of the Passover keeping a different covenant and
having the Angel of Death go along with it? “Paint” instead of lamb’s blood over the door? Pork instead of lamb? Maybe some did. Or ignored the offered covenant.

Even the original Protestant, Martin Luther, got the BIG thing right … “This IS my Body” “This IS my blood” “Do THIS in memory of me” meant just THAT. The true presence was no mere symbol. He began changing little things on his own “power” like WHEN the Eucharist became the Eucharist. A formula which did not agree with accounts of the Last Supper however.

BUT people using Luther’s teachings begat ever-newer strains of “Protestant”, protesting things that Fr. Martin didn’t agree with (Simon didn’t SAY!). Armed with their newly printed Bibles (via the new “printing presses” ) they sallied forth into the land of theological novelty and so-called “freedom”!

Even Luther complained about the fractured faith and multiply contradictory “theologies”
(being perhaps as big a problem as the Church needing reform maybe?).

Other Protestant groups taught against the idea of the true presence in the Eucharist - in some instances calling the Catholic practice false - which would make it idolatry.
Or see it as even occult - displeasing to God(!) If TRUE … Cannibalism. If false … blasphemy … a priesthood claiming powers it did not have (rather than what it was - keeping Jesus’ covenant by perfectly keeping his Last Supper commands).

It was spun as 'pretending to have power over God and people via a system of … oh, superstition or class exploitation … “ any number of false witnesses against the Jesus-founded Church.

The history of division is a sad one. Jesus prayed that we would be one in Him.
Uniting with Jesus in the Eucharist comes first, for when we unite with HIM, those who seek Him sincerely will find Him and us nearby.

History is not bad to know. But knowing Our Lord is our central purpose - along with LOVING Him, His law, His children and our neighbors.
 
OMGoodness! After writing a veritable treatise on the Eucharist and Protestant “communion services” I find that WHAT it is about is that a visiting Protestant went to mass and received communion, thinking it was OK!

That’s a horse on me!

And who would stop him until he does it? He could be on his way to get a blessing (which the priests do when signaled).

In some Protestant Churches visitors probably CAN go right to “communion” on day one.

It may seem like an unwelcoming thing - as the rest of Mass may be participated in fully. You can sing, sit, stand, kneel, bless yourself with Holy Water, read along with the scriptures of the day, and put money in the basket. A new visitor strategically seated could probably take the gifts to the altar - no harm, no foul. But the Eucharist requires preparation and “First Communion”.

As it is the most important thing in the world to do – the requirements are not oppresive.

It’s just confusing to a newbie who may consider himself Catholic - but finds he’s not “fully one” as regards priveleges, yet.

Instruction guarantees (or tries to) that people won’t ignorantly go to communion and not
know what they are doing. Or WHO they are receiving.

He’s invited to come to RCIA or should be. I rather miss the “Express RCIA” we had in Orange County back in the 1990s. The instruction was the same number of hours, but could be done quickly at a local parish. Three months instead of 12 if the person attended the proper classes in a concentrated time frame. 🙂
 
He’s very knowledgeable about Christian history and the Bible. A part of me feels like he’s taking a “I know better than the CC so even though I’m not Catholic I’m just going to receive anyway” approach.

Overall, I feel like I’m in a sticky situation. I’m still pretty confident the priest knows (could be wrong on that one though…). I know. My friend knows.

Should I say something? I just don’t know where to take it from here.
It seems that is the case: he knows he shouldn’t but has chosen to do it anyway. This is sacrilege and it must be stopped. I would definitely talk to the priest. You can say that you are concerned about the situation concerning your friend and tell him all you know. After that it would be up to the priest to deal with it. You would be doing your friend a favour, because to receive the Eucharist like this is dangerous to his soul.
 
Update:

We’ve been talking a lot about Catholicism lately and the conversations have just been so spiritually draining.

My close Catholic friend (not the Protestant friend) and I were talking and he said that the priest said as long as you’re baptized it’s ok…I’m wondering if the priest meant if you’re baptized in the CC/received into the CC…not just baptized a Christian…

I know that this is a tough subject and really sensitive…but this is all disheartening. I’m going to try to figure out what the priest’s stance on the teaching is…

But I still am really positive that the priest is completely aware that he’s not Catholic and receiving anyway. I don’t know what to do…I just feel like it’s just a sticky situation and I don’t feel like it’s my place but at the same time as a faithful Catholic I feel like I have a definite duty to teach the truth…

I’ve been praying.
 
Update:

My close Catholic friend (not the Protestant friend) and I were talking and he said that the priest said as long as you’re baptized it’s ok…I’m wondering if the priest meant if you’re baptized in the CC/received into the CC…not just baptized a Christian…

I’ve been praying.
I have to think that your friend misunderstood the priest. Yes, a person has to be baptized in order to receive the Eucharist (and many Protestant groups have valid baptism - they do not need to be “rebaptized” if they become Catholic later), but they must also be Catholics in a state of grace, having confessed all mortal sin etc, or not having committed any mortal sins since baptism - they have to be reconciled to Christ and his Church.

I have heard priests try and console those who are frustrated about these types of situations by saying that even though the person is committing grave sin by receiving, perhaps God will use that sin to help bring that person to the fullness of truth. I doubt your Protestant friend understands the seriousness of the sin he is committing (if he did, he probably wouldn’t be Protestant anymore), and that would, I think, mitigate to some degree his culpability for it. It’s still disrespectful to purposefully ignore any house of worship’s rules for conduct, even if you disagree with those rules.

A simple way you might try and get this into his head might be to say, “When you go up for communion, the priest says to you - ‘The Body of Christ.’ When you say ‘Amen,’ you are saying - ‘So be it; I agree.’ If you don’t think that the wafer really is the Body of Christ, then at the very least you’re lying. If you do think it really is the Body of Christ, then why aren’t you becoming Catholic?”
 
. I have been at the same mass as him maybe twice or three times now but never actually gone with him/sat with him.
This is the key to the situation. You never GO to mass with him, you just see him there. It appears you have made an honest effort to tell your friend it is wrong. Your friend doesn’t care and that is where you need to respect that God gave him free will. If ever this friend says ‘let’s go to church togehter’ THEN you say ‘My religion means the world to me. If you choose to receive communion without becoming Catholic, I can respect your decision but I can not participate in it because it is a sin. If you would like to come with me, you need to promise you will NOT receive the eucharist’

It appears you only made an indirect effort to tell the priest this person is not Catholic. That is where I would approach the priest and politely say ‘I feel a moral obligation to let you know ‘insert name’ is not Catholic and is not in a state to receive communion’, then let it go. The priest could know something you don’t and can not morally tell you. Now if this priest continues to give communion without being allowed to, the priest can answer come judgement day.

Yes pray for your friend but remember, we can not judge. A priest needs to be charitable and he can’t start passing judgement on people in front of the whole congregation. The priest needs to give that person the benefit f the doubt. If that person only shows up once in a while, the priest has no idea if they became Catholic in another church.

I sympathize with you, at my dad’s funeral my brother’s step son was at the mass. I am willing to bet that is the first time in that boys life he was ever on the inside of a Catholic mass. The priest walked by him (not knowing him) and insisted on giving him a host. The kid had no idea what to do so he put out his left hand took the host and said ‘Thank you’. Yes it made my insides churn as if there was no tomorrow. But… I need to leave judgement to God

CM
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top