How to understand the bible better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brenlae
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brenlae

Guest
I’ve been wondering for quite some time now about this. If the Catholic church says that most of the bible is not literal (for example, that the patriarchs in Genesis may not even have existed), then how is it any different from a story book? I know that the New Testament is literal (I hope), so I can understand that. But, how does this all fit?

Help! 😦
 
Anytime I read the Bible I have always asked the Holy Spirit to come upon me and teach me what I need to know. Since becoming a Catholic, I also ask our Blessed Mother to help me understand the Bible as a Catholic.

Somethings in the old testement are literal and some are not. We do not know if creation was in 7- 24 hours days as we know it, but take the main idea as to what God wants us to know. Many things in the Old Testement prefigure the New Testemant. Such as the Ark of the Covenent had 3 items inside. The stone tablets with the word of God (the Ten Commandments), the rod of Aaron and manna. The tablets were the word of God, Jesus is the word of God made flesh. Aaron was the high priest, Jesus is our high priest for all time, and manna was the bread that came down from heaven. Jesus is the Bread of Life. Mary, our Blessed Mother is a type of tabernacle, she carried Jesus for 9 months.

There is so much to learn. Find a good Bible study group and you will be blessed!
 
If this sounds simplistic or condescending in any way, I apologize - it is not meant in that spirit.

Not too long ago, at the beginning of each Catholic bible, readers were told to first pray that the Holy Spirit come upon them and help them in reading the bible in the “spirit” in which it was written.

In addition, indulgences were granted to those who read the bible in a proper manner, spirit, and certain amount of time.

To really profit from studying the bible, we must live (or strive to live) in a state of grace, and as St. Jerome said, remove any hindrance - that is, detach ourselves from the love of the world and seek to form ourselves to the mind of God. This requires that we submit to the teaching authority of the Church. Another famous saying of St. Jerome to one of his disciples was: “Read assiduously and learn as much as you can. Let sleep find you holding your Bible, and when your head nods, let it be resting on the sacred page!”

With the proper “mindset”, one then begins to actually read and study the bible. The best advice I have ever been given is to start with the Gospels. This does not mean that the OT or other books in the NT are not important - they are all God’s word. But the Gospels are often recommended first because they contain the only words spoken by our Lord.

Christ was very economical with his words, yet they were full of meaning. He spoke very little in terms of number of words, but spoke volumes in terms of meaning in what he said. And Christ spoke so that even the most “common” or uneducated (and there were many at that time) man could understand what he was teaching. This is one reason why he used parables so much - a teaching device whereby he could make a point by using simple examples of everyday life.

So, with a good frame of mind and heart, and a goal of beginning with the Gospels, the next step is to determine: which translation do I read? You will get many, many suggestions, but the best money I have spent recently was on acquiring The Catholic Comparative New Testatement. It contains 8 different translations of the entire NT: Rheims, NAB, RSV Catholic, NRSV Catholic, Jerusalem, New Jerusalem, Good News, and Christian Community. If one were to rate translations on a “political scale” of conservative/traditional to liberal/modern, I would say that this one comparative book runs the gamut.

If you were so inclined, you could purchase another comparative called The Precise Parallel New Testament. The value in this book is that you will get protestant translations in addition to Catholic/Orthodox ones: Greek NT, KJV, Rheims, Amplified, NIV, NRSV, NAB, NAS.

Now, with TWO comparative books providing you with 13 different NT translations, I strongly recommend a “bible handbook” and a good commentary.

When I say “bible handbook”, I mean a book that tells the reader exactly what the bible is, how it was written, who were its authors/writers, the ways to interpret it, etc. The best book on this subject that I have found was written by Father William Most called Free from All Error - Authorship, Inerrancy, Historicity of Scripture, Church Teaching, and Modern Scripture Scholars. It comes in softback and is less than 200 pages long. Yet, it is full of wisdom from one of the best bible scholars of his day (Father Most died a few years ago). It speaks directly to some of the questions you raise in your post.

Lastly, as far as a commentary, I can think of none better than the 1953 original edition of A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture. Although out of print for many years and available only on the second-hand book market such as resellers and Ebay, someone obtain the original copyright to the book and began publishing it again. You can purchase it here:

lulu.com/product/paperback/a-catholic-commentary-on-holy-scripture-(1953)—new-testament-vol-2/6268680

I hope this helps get you on your way. What you asked for in just a few lines is a pretty tall order to fill - especially by way of responding on a forum.

Good luck and God Bless.
 
You also might want to see if your parish, your diocese, or even a Catholic college are offering a course in Bible study. There is a lot more emphasis on the study of Scripture for the laity in the Catholic Church nowadays, at least there is more public awareness of the need for Scripture study, and adult classes have been formed in many places to address this.

You can go as far as you are called to go with your study. There are very educated theologians who have made a lifelong academic career out of studying extensively parts of the Bible. The sky is literally the limit.
 
Get into a good, Catholic bible study program at your parish. If they do not have one for some reason, then look up some Catholic authors who can explain the bible for us non-theologians- like Scott Hahn, Mark Shea or the Great Adventure bible series by Jeff Cavins (which is the one I would reccommend; however, if your parish doesn’t have this series it is a little expensive to purchase). Or, you can try Lectio Divina. Just google it and you’ll find instuctions on how to prayerfully meditate on the bible. 🙂
 
Alright, thanks everybody! I really appreciate the responses! 🙂

Thanks again! 😃
 
I’ve been wondering for quite some time now about this. If the Catholic church says that most of the bible is not literal (for example, that the patriarchs in Genesis may not even have existed), then how is it any different from a story book? I know that the New Testament is literal (I hope), so I can understand that. But, how does this all fit?

Help! 😦
The patriarchs in Genesis are historical figures. You can be sure of that. If you believe the New Testament is literally true then the Old Testament could not be otherwise. The New Testament talks about the patriarchs. Even Jesus spoke about them – Adam and Eve, Abel, Noah, Lot, Abraham, Jacob/Israel, to name only those found in the book of Genesis.

And notice that Jesus said, “Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the holy prophets (those mentioned in the Old Testament)” shall be in the kingdom of God (Luke 13:28). If these people have not existed, how could they be in Christ’s kingdom?

And how could Abraham be a fictional character when it is through God’s promise to him that salvation is now made possible to all of humankind?
 
I’ve been wondering for quite some time now about this. If the Catholic church says that most of the bible is not literal (for example, that the patriarchs in Genesis may not even have existed), then how is it any different from a story book? I know that the New Testament is literal (I hope), so I can understand that. But, how does this all fit?

Help! 😦
It’s all true.

As soon as you start to disbelieve one part you will end up disbelieveing it all.
 
Brenlae,

Try to keep one thing in mind: Jesus was either telling the truth and therefore was who he said he was - God’s Son and the Redeemer of mankind - or he was a psychotic with delusions of grandeur.

There is no middle ground.

I choose the former 🙂
 
I’ve been wondering for quite some time now about this. If the Catholic church says that most of the bible is not literal (for example, that the patriarchs in Genesis may not even have existed), then how is it any different from a story book? I know that the New Testament is literal (I hope), so I can understand that. But, how does this all fit?

Help! 😦
First of all, there is an implied sneer in the the words “story book” (not on your part, I’m sure but on the part of those who disbelieve in the Bible accounts and so wish to belittle them by such a term). I rise in defense of the “story book” or mythological aspects of the Bible. The Patriarchs were all flesh and blood human beings just like you or me. Their accounts are true. So, let’s get that out of the way.

There are mythologies in the OT as there are parables in the NT and they are just as valid for conveying the truth to us as any historical accounts. The Bible is a library of books and writings, not a one volume story told by one author with only one intent. It can be confusing for those who have no background/teaching about what the Bible is and more importantly what it isn’t. A good Catholic Bible study, as someone else suggested, would help you with that.

Below is what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says about reading/interpreting the Bible. I hope you find it helpful:

The four ways of interpreting Scripture: #s 115-119.

The senses of Scripture
115 According to an ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral and anagogical senses. The profound concordance of the four senses guarantees all its richness to the living reading of Scripture in the Church.
116 The literal sense is the meaning conveyed by the words of Scripture and discovered by exegesis, following the rules of sound interpretation: "All other senses of Sacred Scripture are based on the literal."83
117 The spiritual sense. Thanks to the unity of God’s plan, not only the text of Scripture but also the realities and events about which it speaks can be signs.
  1. The allegorical sense. We can acquire a more profound understanding of events by recognizing their significance in Christ; thus the crossing of the Red Sea is a sign or type of Christ’s victory and also of Christian Baptism.84
  2. The moral sense. The events reported in Scripture ought to lead us to act justly. As St. Paul says, they were written “for our instruction”.85
  3. The anagogical sense (Greek: anagoge, “leading”). We can view realities and events in terms of their eternal significance, leading us toward our true homeland: thus the Church on earth is a sign of the heavenly Jerusalem.86
    118 A medieval couplet summarizes the significance of the four senses:
    The Letter speaks of deeds; Allegory to faith;
    The Moral how to act; Anagogy our destiny.87
119 "It is the task of exegetes to work, according to these rules, towards a better understanding and explanation of the meaning of Sacred Scripture in order that their research may help the Church to form a firmer judgment. For, of course, all that has been said about the manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgment of the Church which exercises the divinely conferred commission and ministry of watching over and interpreting the Word of God."88
But I would not believe in the Gospel, had not the authority of the Catholic Church already moved me.89
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top