How was Saul killed?: 4 different versions in the Bible!

  • Thread starter Thread starter mr_bamber
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mr_bamber

Guest
**
Saul committed suicide.
1 Samuel 31:4-6
Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. So Saul died.
Code:
1 Chronicles 10:4
Then said Saul to his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
Saul was killed by an Amalekite.
2 Samuel 1:8-10
And he [Saul] said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite. He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me. So I stood upon him, and slew him.

Saul was killed by the Philistines.
2 Samuel 21:12
The Philistines had slain Saul.

God killed him.
1 Chronicles 10:14
So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it; And enquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse. **
 
This site offers a plausible explanation, although it doesn’t specifically mention the 4th version.

Apologetics Press

However, if you find their explanation agreeable, I suspect you can handle the 4th on your own. Perhaps, God indirectly killed him through the Philistines.
 
Saul impaled himself on his own sword and committed suicide.

The Amelekite was trying to score points with David; he was lying.

The Philistines can be said to be a proximate cause (I think that’s the right term), because Saul killed himself to prevent them from killing him.

God can also be said to have had a role in his death; Saul’s actions had caused God to withdraw His protection from him, leading to him getting himself into an untenable situation in battle and his eventual suicide.

(My own interpretations; your mileage may vary.)

DaveBj
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top