T
Good luck with that. She is only 9. Just wait. Just wait. She is a GIRL and she is not a teenager yet. Just wait.Our kids will NEVER have their own phone, TV or computer (through high school at least). We may eventually lend a cell phone for emergency use on nights out, but not one of their own.
Our kids will not have their own car until later in college.
. My oldest is 9 and has no idea that she is “missing out” on any of that nonsense.
in my book, this is very false connectedness. people are really losing the ability to be WITH people in any meaningful way. constant entertainment is NOT meaningful.“As the expectation of connectedness increases, it’s what is expected for people to be functional in society.”
A computer - yes - anything else - subjective. I have many friends who are parents of teenagers and one PC to share is all they get. That PC is in a wide open area that everyone can see.Good luck with that. She is only 9. Just wait. Just wait. She is a GIRL and she is not a teenager yet. Just wait.
Ah, I remember when we said that, too - no cell phones, computers. Enjoy the innocence naivety now, because once that 9 year old turns into a teen, it’s all over. Just wait.
Computers, actually, are required for many schools, FYI. Our high school is requiring them (and providing laptops) for every student next year.
To augment my original post.I just did some major upgrades when it comes to technology since I moved into a new place recently. I got a great deal on an HDTV and Blu-Ray player (with wi-fi for netflix) so in terms of being wired, I would say I have most things ‘connected’ at my place, but my recurring costs are reasonable. I don’t play or own any video games (out grew them many years ago). So the only things I pay for on a monthly basis are:
That is roughly $200 a month (prior to reimbursement on some of my phone costs). As it stands now I would not really be able to lower those expenses because they are for services that I must have so I can’t really complain too much.
- Cable/Internet (basic package)
- Cell Phone (partially subsidized via work)
- Neflix (Gift subscription)
That’s a depressing view. We don’t believe in computers/TVs in our kids’ rooms either. They’re 5, 3, and 6 months. We believe in one TV for the family (no TV in our bedroom either). You want to watch TV, then you watch it as a family. It’s not an individual activity in our house.Good luck with that. She is only 9. Just wait. Just wait. She is a GIRL and she is not a teenager yet. Just wait.
Ah, I remember when we said that, too - no cell phones, computers. Enjoy the innocence naivety now, because once that 9 year old turns into a teen, it’s all over. Just wait.
Computers, actually, are required for many schools, FYI. Our high school is requiring them (and providing laptops) for every student next year.
good luck nuthin’. none of my teens (4 teen boys and 3 teen girls so far) have carried their own cell phones. there’s nothing naive about it.Good luck with that. She is only 9. Just wait. Just wait. She is a GIRL and she is not a teenager yet. Just wait.
It depends on how you use the electronic means of communication. If you stay isolated in your house and just get entertained via your tv or video games I don’t think that is good, but if its used sparingly its fun and video games can build team work, sharing, problem solving, etc.in my book, this is very false connectedness. people are really losing the ability to be WITH people in any meaningful way. constant entertainment is NOT meaningful.
.
It is interesting you mention this. I see the happen a lot. I am sure some people on here have CAF friends.one of my teens said this about a group of guys: they’re my wii friends.
i said: what’s that mean?
he said: i only know them doing wii.
i said: you mean all that time you spend with them, that’s all you do?
he: yup. they’re wii friends. when i come home, they all stay. i can’t stand it anymore but they can do wii all day.
Yeah, I didn’t get one until I started driving, and that’s because my commute to high school was ~45 minutes each way. Even then, I couldn’t use it for anything except emergencies.good luck nuthin’. none of my teens (4 teen boys and 3 teen girls so far) have carried their own cell phones. there’s nothing naive about it.
if a parent thinks a kid doesnt need to carry a cell phone, resists pressure and doesnt get the teens cell phones, it’s called not caving.
TV in kids bedrooms? I can think of little else more depressing than a kid being in their room alone playing video games or watching TV. That is something I’ll never ever allow. One TV for the family is enough.:twocents:That’s a depressing view. We don’t believe in computers/TVs in our kids’ rooms either. They’re 5, 3, and 6 months. We believe in one TV for the family (no TV in our bedroom either). You want to watch TV, then you watch it as a family. It’s not an individual activity in our house.