How wired is your family?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tgm21234
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that sounds really cool! (the bing)
I love it. When I was visiting a grad school, I was able to type that I was at 1st ave & main (for example), and I need to go to the University, and it gave me directions how to walk there. It’s been very useful, and it was free! SCORE!😃
 
That’s a depressing view. We don’t believe in computers/TVs in our kids’ rooms either. They’re 5, 3, and 6 months. We believe in one TV for the family (no TV in our bedroom either). You want to watch TV, then you watch it as a family. It’s not an individual activity in our house.

…
As for cell phones, I really can understand why some parents want their kids to have them if they have a 2-working-parent family and/or send their children to school.
No one has a TV in their bedroom, except the parents. We have 2 other TVs, both in centrally located areas.
good luck nuthin’. none of my teens (4 teen boys and 3 teen girls so far) have carried their own cell phones. there’s nothing naive about it.

if a parent thinks a kid doesnt need to carry a cell phone, resists pressure and doesnt get the teens cell phones, it’s called not caving.
My kids go to high school 12 miles away. There is not a single pay phone in the building. They are all involved in various activities, plus they now drive to school. They each have a cell phone, so I know where they are, when they are done, and what time they are expected home.
Sorry you are unable to say “no” to your kids when they whine. We’ve gotten rather good at it. I’m guessing from the fact that **your school district has enough money to blow on ‘giving away’ laptops that you live in a rather rich area. **IMO, it DOES tend to make it harder if your kids peers are spoiled. People rolled their eyes at me when I said I’d never have cable TV too (what, no Disney channel?! Your poor wee ones…) But I never caved.
My kids go to a private Catholic Collge Prep High School. There is no “giving” away. It’s part of the tuition - it is required. To succeed in today’s world, one needs access to the Internet. Much of their homework is online. That is a fact.

Regarding their iPods…each of my boys works. Each kids bought their own. Sons #2 and #3 bought their own laptops. We buy them very little. If they want it, they work and they pay for it.
 
Not necessarily. I went to high school in a not terribly affluent area, and our district had its fair share of budget problems. Through some convoluted politics, we ended up with a technology grant that provided loaner laptops to every student that were handed out at the start of each year and turned back in at the end. The money could only be used for that purpose, towards the end of one year we had laptops, but no printer paper in classrooms.
This is kind of what this is. Each student pays $125 per year for the brand new laptop. Obviously, a laptop in much more than that. A student’s parent is an executive for a well known big box retailer who made a ‘deal’ with Apple and the school. So everybody “wins”. The students get to use Apple laptops for $125 a year, I’m sure the exec. made big points with the school, and Apple sucks yet more kids in to their products (which admittedly are pretty darn good).
 
No one has a TV in their bedroom, except the parents. We have 2 other TVs, both in centrally located areas.

My kids go to high school 12 miles away. There is not a single pay phone in the building. They are all involved in various activities, plus they now drive to school. They each have a cell phone, so I know where they are, when they are done, and what time they are expected home.

My kids go to a private Catholic Collge Prep High School. There is no “giving” away. It’s part of the tuition - it is required. To succeed in today’s world, one needs access to the Internet. Much of their homework is online. That is a fact.

Regarding their iPods…each of my boys works. Each kids bought their own. Sons #2 and #3 bought their own laptops. We buy them very little. If they want it, they work and they pay for it.
*I agree about needing the internet for school. My kids have teachers that expect the kids to download their assignments onto this little chip looking thing (I can’t recall what it’s named) and carry that to school…they hand it in, and the teacher pulls those up at night on his/her computer. Or they need to go onto the teacher’s ‘‘blog’’ site, and pull up the assignments as they are posted. Times have changed…A LOT. I think it’s wrong for teachers to ‘‘expect’’ kids to have computers and access to the net, but many of the assignments require such. It’s become a necessity, I guess? :o

I do think it’s entirely possible, as I mentioned above, to raise responsible, good kids with technology. Techonolgy is not the enemy, it is not providing boundaries and guidelines for kids that is more of the issue. *
 
I love it. When I was visiting a grad school, I was able to type that I was at 1st ave & main (for example), and I need to go to the University, and it gave me directions how to walk there. It’s been very useful, and it was free! SCORE!😃
*LOL! It gave you walking directions…love it. 😃 Now if only it could find missing socks in the house? :hmmm: *
 
*LOL! It gave you walking directions…love it. 😃 Now if only it could find missing socks in the house? :hmmm: *
Otherwise, I would still be walking around downtown looking for sushi! There is a website that can find your cell phone for you by calling it, does that count?
 
We have, in our house, 7 computers (2 are DH’s for work, 1 is mine for work).
With 3 kids in high school, access to computers is necessary for homework. Much of their homework is online.

5 cell phones. (2 iPHones and a Blackberry- 3G - and 3 ‘regular’ cell phones) - unlimited texting

4 iPods (including an iTouch that gets internet).

Cable TV/broadband internet and Netflix

a PS3 that connects online for free. (My son bought that with his own money).
a Wii that connects online (don’t do much with that, though).

There are 5 of us - including 3 teen boys.
Would you care to share what your monthy bill is?
 
Would you care to share what your monthy bill is
?
We have, in our house, 7 computers (2 are DH’s for work, 1 is mine for work).
With 3 kids in high school, access to computers is necessary for homework. Much of their homework is online.

5 cell phones. (2 iPHones and a Blackberry- 3G - and 3 ‘regular’ cell phones) - unlimited texting These are through my DH’s business. Business expense. He pays this through his company. His line is the only one with any substantial talking minutes. The boys and I text almost exclusively.

4 iPods (including an iTouch that gets internet). no monthly cost for me. If boys want music, they pay.

Cable TV/broadband internet and Netflix $150 for cable, broadband internet, and phone. Part is deductible, because I require the use of the phone and broadband for my job. Netflix is $15 month.

a PS3 that connects online for free. (My son bought that with his own money).
a Wii that connects online (don’t do much with that, though). no monthly cost

There are 5 of us - including 3 teen boys.
 
Okay, let’s see…

Verizon FIOS for the TV, Telephone and Internet.
Five computers and another on the way
Three non-HD TVs
Four cell phones and one Blackberry (unlimited texting :rolleyes:)

Did I mention I had teens?
Similar here:

FiOS plan–needed high speed to work from home
5 computers (2 belong to work)
1 non HD TV (and non wide screen, flat planel also)
3 cell phones, one with data but no ‘crackberries’
Wii, 2 gameboys, 2 ipods, 2 personal dvd players

For all that we aren’t video-happy.And no one is watching TV or texting in bed.
 
All of this does leave the older generation even more isolated. I’m still trying to get my dad (he’s 65, lives alone, just retired this year) to get e-mail and broadband (he still has an ancient dial-up internet connection which costs a fortune on the rare occasions he uses it), and to turn his mobile phone on! Still, in a way it must be quite nice to be able to go out and know that nobody can contact you, you can’t log in to check your e-mail from your cellphone every spare moment, and so on.
 
I never bothered converting my TV, and believe it or not I don’t miss it.
I believe a while back there was a thread on who got rid of their TV’s and why.
 
All of this does leave the older generation even more isolated. I’m still trying to get my dad (he’s 65, lives alone, just retired this year) to get e-mail and broadband (he still has an ancient dial-up internet connection which costs a fortune on the rare occasions he uses it), and to turn his mobile phone on! Still, in a way it must be quite nice to be able to go out and know that nobody can contact you, you can’t log in to check your e-mail from your cellphone every spare moment, and so on.
For my parents and inlaws, it has allowed them to be MORE connected with us and everyone else. Both sets of grandparents have computers - one has satellite Internet and the other broadband. They are on the computer daily, checking email, reading news, etc. All 4 have cell phones. Because of the free mobile to mobile minutes, we call frequently and talk much more than we would otherwise (and talk at times we would not be able to - for example, when I have to pick up my kids, I often will call either my parents or the inlaws quickly from my cell phone to theirs just to check in and say hi). Without the cells and the free mobile to mobile, those calls would not get made.

My dad (age 72) is fascinated by the iPhone. It would not surprise me if he got one.
 
The further we develop the internet and it’s capabilities, I’m not sure many of us within this country (at least those with school aged kids) can be without access to an internet connection.

We view the computer like any other appliance in the house - washer, dryer , stove, etc… When we need it - we use it, when we are done - it’s off.

Can we live without any of those? Sure, but life would be a little more challenging without them (at least for us).
 
My in laws got broadband before we did - sort of shamed us into it!

I don’t think that broadband, or smart phones, or ipods or whatever are the problem. As long as they are used judiciously, and the people involved stay connected to real life, then I don’t see the problem.

Well, there is one problem. The gap between the haves and the have nots is growing. That puts people at a disadvantage that can afford it least.
 
Good luck with that. She is only 9. Just wait. Just wait. She is a GIRL and she is not a teenager yet. Just wait.
Not necessarily. When our oldest daughter turned 17 and got a car last year, I bought her a cell phone to go in the car. I don’t think it’s ever even been out of her car. She never asked for one and she never bought one on her own.

None of my kids seem to be all that interested. It’s amazing the difference in your kids when they don’t have a TV to tell them what they’re supposed to want or to teach them to be consumers.
 
tgm21234;:
How wired is your family?
Not very. Between my wife, my children, and I, we own several businesses, so computers are a must, and we have a couple of laptops, and we have a family movie night, where we’ll show movies, using a laptop and a projector, but that’s about it.

And only three cell phones in a family of eight people.
 
We have:

~4 laptop computers (oldest dh bought his own and dh has one through work), 2 desktops
~Wireless Router

~Road Runner Hi-speed Internet (dh needs for work) w/DVR
~Digital cable, standard package
~Digital phone
All 3 bundled together for one low price (minus $20 reimbursement from dh’s company)

~Netflix, 1 DVD at-a-time, unlimited, plus instant streaming
~4 analog tvs (we’ll replace with HDTV as soon as they “die”)
~Cell phone that parents gave me, rarely use
~Tracfone for family use, rarely use
~Tracfone for oldest ds (18th b-day present, included phone, year plan and 200 minutes)
~Ds 18 and ds 15 have Ipod Touches (b-day presents)
~Xbox 360, Playstation 3 (dc bought this), and Wii (this was dh’s Christmas present this year)…yes, we are a gaming family :eek: 😊
~Xbox Live for all 4 ds (b-day presents, $40/year)

Total: Approximately $165/month

MadameButterfly
 
we have a landline, a computer, and a TV ( no cable). my husband has a work phone. THAT’S IT!

i do not want cable, cell phones, video games, i-pods, nor can I afford them.
 
Good luck with that. She is only 9. Just wait. Just wait. She is a GIRL and she is not a teenager yet. Just wait.
i had asserted that a kid shouldn’t have a cell phone if a parent thought the kid didn’t need a cell phone.

you seemed to assert that a teen, especially a girl, was going to make mincemeat of her parents’ decision to forego a cell phone.

that your kids are 12 miles away may seem like a logical reason to carry a cell phone.

but that she’s a girl, a teen, and her naive parents’ time is just running out? hardly.

and that’s what i addressed.

and to paul in VA, you’re right: saying no to kids*** isn’t ***a badge of honor. sometimes it’s just good parenting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top