C
chataranga
Guest
Greetings,
I’d like to share a lesson in humility that I experienced. First several days ago I had an “ah hah” moment where I remembered a series of events from many many years ago which at the time I treated my folks with disrespect but they never said anything to me at all. They bought me a guitar which I had asked for(I may have been about 12 years old or so). I took lessons until the tutor moved away a couple months later. After that I refused to take lessons with anyone else no matter how my parents urged me to. I never used the guitar again and finally a few years later my parents sold it to a cousin and I didn’t blink an eye-couldn’t have cared less.
So earlier this week I saw a teenage girl with a guitar strapped to her back as she rode a bicycle-that sight brought me back to all those years ago and how I had acted. I was overcome with sadness and even got a bit teary eyed.
Today I was with my mom(dad passed away years ago). I brought the incident up to her and apologized for my behavior, and acting like a jerk while they had spent time and money get me the guitar… She smiled and chuckled a bit and said “We paid for the lessons too.” then turned and walked away to turn on the tv I think.
I don’t know what I was expecting to happen or how she would react but that caught me off guard. I told her " I acted like a jerk." and apologized again, as I recall she didn’t say anything else.
I used to think as a kid that telling a priest something in the confessional would be humiliating and so I didn’t go to confession. I think that the experience today was much more humiliating than confessing to the priest and hearing the words of absolution. confessing to the person that we’ve wronged is in my view much harder and we may not get the “no problem” or “forget about it” that we may be hoping for. They probably need time to digest even if it’s something they’ve forgotten about and let go of years before. Blessings to all.
I’d like to share a lesson in humility that I experienced. First several days ago I had an “ah hah” moment where I remembered a series of events from many many years ago which at the time I treated my folks with disrespect but they never said anything to me at all. They bought me a guitar which I had asked for(I may have been about 12 years old or so). I took lessons until the tutor moved away a couple months later. After that I refused to take lessons with anyone else no matter how my parents urged me to. I never used the guitar again and finally a few years later my parents sold it to a cousin and I didn’t blink an eye-couldn’t have cared less.
So earlier this week I saw a teenage girl with a guitar strapped to her back as she rode a bicycle-that sight brought me back to all those years ago and how I had acted. I was overcome with sadness and even got a bit teary eyed.
Today I was with my mom(dad passed away years ago). I brought the incident up to her and apologized for my behavior, and acting like a jerk while they had spent time and money get me the guitar… She smiled and chuckled a bit and said “We paid for the lessons too.” then turned and walked away to turn on the tv I think.
I don’t know what I was expecting to happen or how she would react but that caught me off guard. I told her " I acted like a jerk." and apologized again, as I recall she didn’t say anything else.
I used to think as a kid that telling a priest something in the confessional would be humiliating and so I didn’t go to confession. I think that the experience today was much more humiliating than confessing to the priest and hearing the words of absolution. confessing to the person that we’ve wronged is in my view much harder and we may not get the “no problem” or “forget about it” that we may be hoping for. They probably need time to digest even if it’s something they’ve forgotten about and let go of years before. Blessings to all.