I am disappointed with some Catholics

• Thread starter Thread starter copland
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copland

I have been in love with the Catholic Church for awhile. I long to join the Church. I believe the teachings all the way, but am bound right now trying to lead my family there.

I have been zealous for God for years. I have been a passionate student of the Bible and have been in awe with the teachings of the Catechism and Church Fathers ever since I have been studying Catholicism.

But I must say this. I live in an area that is mostly protestant. So I don;t get to meet many Catholics and talk to them. And the ones I do get to talk to don;t like to talk about their faith. They seem intimidated with the subject. This is driving me crazy!!! I can talk to many protestants and they love to talk about their faith. But I have shared my love for the Church with different Catholics in my area but they seem to lack the zeal that I see in Catholics that I talk to on the net. What’s the deal here?? I have even emailed and met a preist in this area and even shared my feelings about the Chruch and he seems to not be the least bit concerned about giving me some attention as far as talking to me about coming to Mass.

Is this a norm? Or is it just bad luck? I wish these Catholics in my area had a portion of the zeal and knowledge of God as I have seen on discussion forums.

I dont’ think they’re intimidated… but for lack of better term I will use the word intimidated.

I think they notice your zeal and feel guilty about it. They see your zeal with your faith and know deep inside that they should do the same… I guess it’s somewhat safe to say that their pride got in the way so they feel intimidated because they know that they should be zealous with their faith as well.

But that’s just me. Perhaps, these people are just not really interested in their faith. I guess it is your duty then to try and reach out to them somehow. Preach the Gospel to all creation. :gopray2:

Sometimes it takes a convert such as youself to light a fire inside someone who has become lukewarm about the faith. I would pray that they will see your awe and amazement of a faith they have taken for granted and become renewed in the spirit. It sound to me you have great opportunity to effect some great change. Don’t be discouraged.

A Norm? May be you are right! Most Catholics do not transcend the classes for their baptism and confirmation. They end up having the information about their faith only fit for a kid. I think it is because there are no mechanisms in many of our parishes for learning more about the faith.

I once asked a Catholic friend if he was reading the catechism, and he said it was not necessary because he was already confirmed. He was planning to start again when he has classes for his wedding preparation.

I think the onus is on the parish priests to make a deliberate policy for the parishioners to get to know their faith well, through Bible study groups and Small Christian Community.

I have found if you get into a prayer group, or a Catholic Bible Study group, or someone other discussion-oriented group at the parish level, that is where you find the Catholics who are more deeply involved in their faith.

There are nominal Catholics just like nominal Christians.

I just realized you aren’t a member yet. Get involved with the RCIA program at a parish. The first phase of RCIA is not a committment to convert, it is simply designed to educate people about the faith. Many people who volunteer to help teach RCIA are doing so out of a deep love for their faith.

40.png
copland:
I have been zealous for God for years. I have been a passionate student of the Bible and have been in awe with the teachings of the Catechism and Church Fathers ever since I have been studying Catholicism.

But I must say this. I live in an area that is mostly protestant. So I don;t get to meet many Catholics and talk to them. And the ones I do get to talk to don;t like to talk about their faith. They seem intimidated with the subject.
If the Catholics you encounter seem unwilling to talk about the faith, it could be that they simply don’t know it as well as you, the potential convert, does. I recommend the tape set of Scott Hahn’s conversion story (available at saintjoe.com) because he found the same thing when he was discovering the Church.

Keep on your journey. As someone else suggested, you might light the fire of other Catholics in your area, then again, you may be the torch bearer yourself. That may be a difficult thing, but it would be a glorious thing.

Could be ignorance, as there has been a terrible lack of catechesis in the last 40 years. Also could be a result of past experience with Protestants. I know for years I would not discuss religion with most Protestants in large part due to the anti-Catholic bigotry I experienced as a kid, and as a young adult travelling in FL during the 70’s.
I thank Jesus that many converts such as Scott Hahn have written many books and articles, that are helpful in explaining the Protestant experience (anti-Catholic attitudes). One of my favorite books is “Born Fundamentalist and Born Again Catholic” by Currie. This really has some excellent points and insughts regarding how many fundamentalists and many Evangelicals interpret the bible.

When I was young, Catholics saw their faith as something private. Same when my mom was growing up. Prayer was personal. You didn’t hear the words “Catholic” and “Evangelize” in the same sentence! —KCT

Copland, you should take your zest and love and firey zeal and plant some seeds in your parish!** DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! **🙂

Here are some suggestions from my own experiences:

Planting seeds and getting other folks fired up is not one bit easy. But it always takes a spark to light the inferno. So don’t expect instant results. Be on the lookout for other sparks and be flexable: don’t expect everything to go your way. Other sparks have their ideas too! (But don’t compramise with wishy-washy nonsense or non-orthodox teachings.)

Is there any way that you can get other Catholics in your parish to meet? Have Bible studies? Pray the Rosary together? Work for the poor together? You may have to start small but hey, that’s how you plant seeds. Get people moving. Even if it’s only one other person at first hahaha!

When you go to Mass make sure that you dress decently and be reverent. Don’t chatter or gossip or read a newspaper. Set an example. (Don’t show off - but set an example.) Prepare yourself for Mass properly. You’ll get people to think.

Visit with your Priest. Bring him coffee and talk with him and pray with him. Offer to do work around the church like painting or cleaning. These are all ways that I have wheedled my way into a lifeless parish and gotten to know people and met other on-fire Catholics. If there isn’t already a cleaning/yard work list for folks to sign up for tasks, make one. It always takes work, work, work to run a church so lay-people have plenty of options for helping.

Do you write? Can you write articles or what-not for your parish bulletin? That’s one big way to get yourself known and to spread ideas about church activities. Work with other sparks in this way.

Is there any way to get some good fun Catholic adult faith classes and apologetics classes rolling? That’s a good way to get folks fired up about their faith!

Not everything needs to be run by the Church. You can have meetings in your own homes. Just make sure that everything is orthodox. And there’s nothing wrong with inviting the Priest to join you.

Always dialog with your Priest. Don’t be a rebel. Submit to Church teachings. And above all, PRAY! Pray about this and ask God to help get things moving.

40.png
copland:
Is this a norm? Or is it just bad luck? I wish these Catholics in my area had a portion of the zeal and knowledge of God as I have seen on discussion forums.
I was at a wedding shower yesterday and one of the ladies handed around a basket in which we were to put an envelope, when she got to our table she joked “just like the Catholic Church” My daughter turned to me horrified, “Does she know we are Catholic?”" I’m sure she’s not worried of offending us because she is also Catholic." My daughter being somewhat naive, wondered how she could mock so. To me this is just one more thing that sums up the state of the Catholic Church. There is all kinds of statistics out there to support the fall in numbers and faith. I really don’t need to read them to believe it so. All I have to do is look at my graduating class from a Catholic School some 20 years ago. I have yet to meet one out of that class that have remained true to Holy Mother the Church. Most would not even acknowledge themselves as Catholics. However one did become a Protestant Minister.:crying:.

Please do not despair, you are right The Catholic Religion is the most beautiful religion in the world . You are right to want to share and talk about it. What The Church needs now is Good Catholic Soldiers! The glorious work begun by the Apostles and continued through the ages must still be carried on. God will bless on your good works! :blessyou:

Copland, I had the same sort of frustration when I was first thinking of converting. I was quite zealous, and talked to every cradle Catholic I could find about the faith, and in general there just seemed to be a reluctance to get into conversation over it. However, after I was finally received into the Church(eight years ago last Easter), I noticed something: these people weren’t lukewarm in their faith at all. It was a very strong, quiet yet firm and steadfast sort of faith that they radiated. I realised that I probably had seemed to them, in my pre-conversion days, maybe even a little overly enthusiastic and charismatic, which should have been obvious to me, as I’m severely allergic to charismatic worship services! Later, I found myself gravitating more toward this strong, quiet faith, and now I wouldn’t have it any other way. The best thing I can find to compare it to is marriage. When you first marry, you’re wildly in love with your spouse and you want to shout your love from every rooftop. This intense, consuming love doesn’t last long, though; if it did, we’d all die before we were thirty, burned out by an excess of bliss! If we’re lucky, this initial fiery love matures and grows into something quieter and firmer, longer-lasting and deep-rooted. This, I think, is the faith as we see it practiced by many Church members today.

I do thank you all for all the replies!!

Today at work I talked to a Catholic who I had been a little frustrated about because of the lack of response when I brought up the faith. He is a cradle Catholic. I told him about this site and how awesome it is, and he was thrilled to hear about it and will problably log on himself. But I made sure I emphisized how he could learn more about his faith. I think that this site may open up some opportunities for me to not only get Catholics to think about their faith but also to come here and learn and discuss it.

I also am a cradle Catholic who has always gone to Mass on Sunday. Although I would never admit it, my attitude for the most part was of fulfilling my duty. Many Catholics including myself for most of my life have really only had the bare-minimum catechesis. A lot of this is what I would call “love and butterflies” catechesis – God is love, love your neighbor, do not kill etc. – pretty non-controversial stuff. It leaves you ill-prepared for the inevitable challenges to your faith. I think that’s why many Catholics leave the Church – they don’t really even understand their own faith, or have learned it through popular opinion, the media, etc.

Sadly, many are the walking dead. They continue to go to church for social reasons, family tradition, for a few moments of peace and quiet, etc. As Archbishop Chaput wrote, many have discovered that they have become non-Catholics who happen to go to Mass.

Fortunately, I think things are quickly turning around. “New Evangalization” aren’t just pretty words. I really believe it’s happening. I have no statistics to back me up, but I think more Catholics are taking an interest in their faith. Our parish has weekly talks on various topics that are well-attended. Priests are realizing the need for more catechesis, especially of the adults. Even the current scandals in the Church (molesting priests, Catholic pro-abortion politicians, more visible dissent by Catholics) are serving as a painful wake-up call. But hey, at least we’re awake now.

I believe God places people in your life when you need them. You needed to hear from some faithfilled, zealous Catholics and God sent you here! I think the suggestions about going to Catholic prayer meetings and RCIA are correct, after all if you want to meet book lovers you go to book events etc. Adoration is another great place and daily mass, wear a tee shirt or jacket that lets others know your in Love with God–a witness tee–and see what happens! Go to Father Coropis talks or any of the EWTN or Catholic Answers apologists talks. Better yet go on one of the Catholic Answers cruises or one of the Catholic pilgrimages run by local churchs.

God Bless you on your journey!

Copland

I will admit, growing up as a cradle Catholic we were very silent about our faith. Which is more than likely there are lots of misunderstandings and misconceptions about Catholicism and our very lengthy and sometimes controvercial history. As someone previously said, our faith was a “private” thing for us, which we expressed by going to Mass, saying the Rosary and even hanging a Rosary on the rear view mirror of the car.

It was only within the last thirty years when Evangelicalism started flurshing within the South that people have begun to question Catholics about their faith and beliefs, and we came up sorely lacking.

Be blessed that you are one of many converts who have begun to light fires under us “cradle” Catholics and helped us re-discover our faith. It never ceases to amaze me to see the love of Catholicism that converts discover which for many years I have taken for granted.

One of the most inspiring stories is Dr. Scott Hahn and his wife Kimberly in “Home, Sweet Rome”, which inspired me to seek other conversion stories and to see what they saw in the Catholic church to lead them to their conversion.

There is a term I read about Catholics who re-discovered their faith, they’re called “Born Again Catholics”. Perhaps with the push for Evangalization within the Catholic church, we’ll get more “Born Agains”.

Peace

Many of us converts do make cradle Catholics uncomfortable. Thanks goodness my husband isn’t one of them.

I have been part of a small Christian community for years – over a decade. Our archdiocese is defnitely on the “liberal” side, but now that I am a Catholic Answers fan and have learned so much about my faith, when it is my turn to facilitate the meetings, well, they almost threw me out once. Since then, I haven’t done a meeting primarily from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I am frustrated by the group’s overall contrary nature to me or my topics.

I am not being a good apologist according to my husband, but I am trying to share some of what I have learned about faith. My husband tells me to just pray and be patient with them. He tells me that I am operating on a different level than they are. Most of the group is cradle Catholic. It is hard to prove that they are Catholic sometimes. :o

I hope you find that your trip into this wonderful faith is worthwhile. My family is Baptist and they weren’t at all supportive of my choice. Christ asked me to join, how could I say "no?:bowdown:

Pax et bonum,
Mamamull

MAMMAMULL DON’T EVER SUGAR COAT IT OR WATER IT DOWN—YOU GO!

40.png
copland:
I have been in love with the Catholic Church for awhile. I long to join the Church. I believe the teachings all the way, but am bound right now trying to lead my family there.

But I must say this. I live in an area that is mostly protestant. So I don;t get to meet many Catholics and talk to them. And the ones I do get to talk to don;t like to talk about their faith. They seem intimidated with the subject. This is driving me crazy!!! I can talk to many protestants and they love to talk about their faith. But I have shared my love for the Church with different Catholics in my area but they seem to lack the zeal that I see in Catholics that I talk to on the net. What’s the deal here?? I have even emailed and met a preist in this area and even shared my feelings about the Chruch and he seems to not be the least bit concerned about giving me some attention as far as talking to me about coming to Mass.

Hey Cop…

It could be because of numerous reasons…but, it could be because…

Some individuals who are born into the Catholic faith…take it for granted. The individuals could feel intimidated because you know more about their faith than he/she does.

I would say join a RCIA class, etc…and keep learning and growing…our faith is very rich in history, etc.

Your calling might be to start a Catholic Bible Study in your area…or, to become an apologist like Karl.

40.png
copland:

There are several kinds of “zeal”. Some “zeal” is driven by “denominational” orientations in regard with “fearing condemnations”. Other “zeal” is driven by “wanting/ longing for God”. The latter one is given by the Holy Spirit.

So, it’s true that some catholics are not very keen about their faith. As if they are almost apathetical. And the priests are too busy or too “tired” of doing “good works”… So, basically, what I’m trying to say : do not get disappointed because of men. Men do fail (not only in Catholic Church do they fail, but everywhere).

But I’m sure that God has given you The Holy Spirit so that you are zealous for God. This Holy Spirit is the only one that brings unfailing faith to man. And indeed He does not fail. So, go and reach out to your brothers and sisters there and make them as zealous as you (so that you have friends to share your zealous ness too 🙂 ) .

God bless.

mr copland i guess just depends where you are. here when i needed a catholic to answer some of my questions about baptist he was very good about it we meet an he answer me a lot of the question. although now i can say i know more because of you, and catholic answer online. i tell you if you will have ask me a few month ago about my faith i will have been lost an with no answers. i took cathecism so along ago that i forgot a lot ,an in spanish imagine then is gets more hard. but i tell you maybe once you started going to church you can find people that will help you. any way if you need any help let me know, i will help you anyway i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back