- For sacrificing a lot of comforts to raise me and my siblings.
- For taking an interest in our interests and our friends.
- For supporting and encouraging my conversion to Catholicism and for allowing themselves to open up to faith.
- For sending me to Catholic school as a child so that #3 could happen.
- For spanking me. I NEVER thought I’d say that, but we turned out to be well-behaved, polite kids who knew nothing less would be acceptable.
- For making me do as many chores and for teaching me how to do them. I learned to be responsible, disciplined, and to clean up after myself.
- For expecting me to do well in school and encouraging me in what I was good at.
- For helping me with college.
- For sending me food from time to time.
- For encouraging me in my desire to travel, even though they worry about their oldest.
- For encouraging me to think and using teachable moments for everything.
- For encouraging me to read, even if they didn’t like the books.
- For loving me through a ton of hard moments
- For giving me life.
What are you grateful to your families for?
This is difficult for me to read. All I can think of is that I’m NOT grateful to my parents:
For not taking an interest in my interests and my friends.
For not supporting and encouraging my faith in Catholicism and for not allowing themselves to open up to faith.
For not sending me to Catholic high school.
For spanking me. Those beatings were horrific, and left more emotional pain than physical.
For not encouraging me to do well at school. For not taking an interest in my school subjects.
For discouraging me in attending college. I went anyway, but they were never interested in anything I studied.
For discouraging me in my desire to travel and telling me it was a waste of time.
For not encouraging me to think and using teachable moments for everything.
For not encouraging me to read,
For…and the list goes on.
I’ve become successful in my own right, have a loving and wonderful Catholic family, but to this day my parents -in their 80s, still think I’m a fool for my Catholicism, still think I never succeeded at anything, (though I became a professional therapist), are still not interested in ANYTHING I’ve done or do, and certainly would prefer to DIScourage me at anything rather than ENcourage. These are the facts. But I pray for them everyday, and rather than be angry (though it appears that way), I am very saddened for them. I wish that I could give a beautiful testimony like everyone else here. My biggest concern for them now is their spiritual welfare. They don’t have long on this earth, and I pray vigorously that they turn their hearts to God.