I am scared to become Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter jacobthompson16
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to be Catholic because I want to get closer with God but I am too scared to choose convert. What if were wrong… What if Catholicism is wrong and I go to hell. The same goes for protestantism. Is there any absolute proof that the Catholic church is the one true church?
Protestants websites like: gotquestions.org/ and carm.org/ seem to have answers as well as catholic sources do to.
What do I do… I want to convert but what if Its wrong? Is there any absolute proof that the Catholic church is the one true church?
Ok do you really want to know? Then ask the Lord. Your lacking wisdom in this regard? then ask (Jam 1:5).
 
There is an excellent CD that you can get free (you may have to pay $1.00 shipping) put out by CatholiCity. It is titled " the Conversion of Scott Hahn". It deals with a lot of the questions he had and you may be having also. Just go to their web site for that item as well as many other free CD’s.
 
I’d like to recommend a Catechism, it’s this book:

amazon.com/This-Faith-Complete-Explanation-Catholic/dp/0895556421/

There is one comment in there by the editor against evolution that i didn’t care for, but this is simply an amazing catechism for teaching the faith to a protestant christian.

But some more comments:

gotquestions.org/Protestant-denominations.html
Question: "Which of the 30,000 Protestant denominations is the true church of God?"
…
The core truths that a person needs to know and understand are absolutely and abundantly clear in Scripture. Even on the non-essentials, if Sola Scriptura were consistently applied, there would be unanimity. The problem is that it is very difficult to perfectly and fully apply Sola Scriptura, as our own biases, faults, preferences, and traditions often get in the way. The fact that there are many different denominations is not an argument against Sola Scriptura. Rather, it is evidence that we all fail at truly allowing God’s Word to fully shape our beliefs, practices, and traditions.
Now let’s see what Paul wrote:
Ephesians 4 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all lowliness and meekness, with patience, forbearing one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. 8 Therefore it is said,
“When he ascended on high he led a host of captives,
and he gave gifts to men.”
9 (In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is he who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipment of the saints, for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ; 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every joint with which it is supplied, when each part is working properly, makes bodily growth and upbuilds itself in love.
For a website that goes on and on about how Catholic teachings are supposedly so “unbiblical”, I don’t see anything in the Bible about “non-essentials” or “side issues”. I see “one faith” and “one body”, and appointed ministers with authority to teach and preach. That is what the Christian faith is, it isn’t something gleaned from the Bible based on our own fallible personal interpretations, even though the Bible is God’s word, it is something preached by the appointed ministers of Christ (Matthew 28:19-20), guided by the Holy Spirit into all truth (John 17:21).

Now I don’t claim that there are 30,000 protestant denominations, that’s a very liberal definition of denomination being used, but there are at least 100 protestant denominations (source: adherents.com/largecom/prot_classify.html) Although I have found a protestant source that says there are over 9,000 denominations (Gordon Conwell seminary).

Do you think that’s what Christ wants for his Church: over one-hundred denominations? Christ prayed for unity: “That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.” - John 17:21 Our Lord came to make one church, not 100 churches all teaching different doctrines that can change. I mean just look at the issue of same-sex marriage and openly gay pastors: that issue split up the Presbyterian church and the Anglican church recently ! However the Catholic church will remain with the same teaching, because it is the one church that Christ established on blessed Peter with the authority to bind and loose and the church that he promised he would be with until the end of time.

I’d encourage you to try to understand what Catholicism actually teaches first without reference to CARM or gotquestions, because you should actually understand what the church teaches from people sympathetic to it, or at least neutral. I’m not saying “Don’t read it, it’s a pack of lies!”, but before you can settle your doubts, you should at least understand the faith you want to join. Just one example: gotquestions claims that the mass is an attempt to “re-sacrifice” Christ again, but that’s NOT what the Church teaches. You don’t want to be led astray like that do you?
 
I don’t have a real intention of converting yet.

But I think about the implications if I did.

How would my family react? Should I just keep it a secret from them?
Its very disconcerting and off putting.

Even going to a Catholic Church seems like a daunting task, maybe its because I am really shy person. It feels really nerve wracking to express my personal thoughts to compete strangers.
If you are an adult, it is up to you if you wish anyone to know about your church membership. 😉 With family all you need say is that you have found the relationship with God you longed for in the Catholic Church. No matter which tradition you came from, you will not be negating that experience, but rather adding to it and correcting misconceptions. All you gained in God comes with you.

One great thing about attending Mass is that apart from possibly shaking hands with a greeter or shake hands with those around you at the sign of peace, you will not have to interact with anyone, and you may sit wherever you please. Just go to Mass and let the experience speak for itself. Becoming part of the community means participating in the Mass and being helpful to others in need, as you are able to help them. God and his Church welcomes all people no matter their state in life or their ability or inability to interact with others. 🙂
 
I want to be Catholic because I want to get closer with God but I am too scared to choose convert. What if were wrong… What if Catholicism is wrong and I go to hell. The same goes for protestantism. Is there any absolute proof that the Catholic church is the one true church?
Protestants websites like: gotquestions.org/ and carm.org/ seem to have answers as well as catholic sources do to.
What do I do… I want to convert but what if Its wrong? Is there any absolute proof that the Catholic church is the one true church?
Ok, I feel like I could have written this same post. I keep praying and asking God to not be offended by my searching if the Catholic Church is not legitimate. I also ask Him to not be offended every time I go back into my Protestant church, while now looking at it all in a different {and skeptical} light. I feel like I’m doomed either way.

But, I keep reminding myself that God knows the deepest crevices and desires of my heart and that as long as I’m earnestly searching for MORE of Him and His Truth, that His mercy will cover me. I want to make sure that I’m seeking HIM and not just RELIGION.

I have now prayed for two years that if the Catholic or Orthodox church is not where He wants me to have a fuller, more complete relationship with Him, that He take away my desire to do any more research and to feel comfortable where I am currently at. THAT hasn’t happened yet, though…:hmmm:
 
As a former Baptist myself, I know exactly how you feel. I remember the night I began to question whether I had been wrong all my life, and that maybe the Catholic church was the true church. It was positively terrifying! I was afraid of getting it wrong, or maybe that I was being blinded by the devil like our Baptist pastors warned us about. In spite of all of the doubts, I still somehow had this peace underneath the worry.

Keep searching; reading the early church fathers really helped me. I would also encourage you to go to Mass; there are very few experiences in my life that were as wonderful as the first time I went to mass.

Remember, God knows your heart; He knows that you want to really find his church. Trust Him to guide you. He promised never to forsake us.
Those Baptist preachers really put a number on us, don’t they?
 
I want to be Catholic because I want to get closer with God but I am too scared to choose convert. What if were wrong… What if Catholicism is wrong and I go to hell.
If you’re really serious about this, then calm down, roll up your sleeves, and start investigating the claims of the Catholic Church from the Catholic Church
j:
The same goes for protestantism. Is there any absolute proof that the Catholic church is the one true church?
Protestants websites like: gotquestions.org/ and carm.org/ seem to have answers as well as catholic sources do to.
Everybody on the planet can look up protestantism and see who and when each and every protestant group got its start. Protestantism is considered one of The Great Heresies in history

Think about this desire of Jesus. Does Jesus divide what HE just prayed would be perfectly one? Nope!

John 17:20-23

Then think about the Holy Spirit. Does the HS divide what Jesus established? Nope!

John 16:12-15

So then one has to ask, who started Protestantism in the 16th century?

Division is condemned in scripture as are those who divide and remain divided? Where is that taught you ask?

Romans 16:17-20 , Galatians 5:19-21, διχοστασίας* dichostasia** = division / dissension / factions /sedition, that same Greek word is used in both Rom 16:17. And Gal 5:19… the consequences for one who dies in that sin, they will not inherit heaven. [Gal 5:21]*

Titus 3:10
“As for a man who is factious ( αἱρετικὸν heretic ), after admonishing him once or twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is perverted and sinful; he is self-condemned.”

Think about it this way, Jesus doesn’t go back on what he condemns. And the HS teaches what He receives from Jesus.
j:
What do I do… I want to convert but what if Its wrong? Is there any absolute proof that the Catholic church is the one true church?
#34 start doing your homework. We’re here to help, so ask away. 👍
 
I don’t have a real intention of converting yet.

But I think about the implications if I did.

How would my family react? Should I just keep it a secret from them?
Its very disconcerting and off putting.

Even going to a Catholic Church seems like a daunting task, maybe its because I am really shy person. It feels really nerve wracking to express my personal thoughts to compete strangers.
I was a Presbyterian who married a cradle Catholic in 1971. It took me until 2010 to convert to Catholicism.

I had many of the doubts that you have, but I’ll tell you this. I LOVE BEING CATHOLIC! I live in South Carolina where the VAST MAJORITY of people here are Protestant. and yet, I LOVE BEING CATHOLIC in the Bible Belt!

I’m the question everything skeptic (which is why it took me so long to convert) but when my last objection was overruled with logic, reason and full support of the scriptures I gladly signed up for RCIA and accepted conversion…

At least consider this: Find an RCIA class you can attend, go to all the sessions and THEN make a final decision. (You’ll be amazed at how welcoming Catholics are to shy strangers like me and you 😉 ) You don’t even have to tell your friends where you’re spending your Thursday nights (or whatever night/day they’re held on)

I went to the priest and asked if I could be confirmed in private so as not to make a big deal about it. He said we could do that but why not be confirmed at Easter Vigil in public and show your true faith? I’ve never looked back (except to evangelize) and oh, by the way, did I mentions I LOVE BEING A CATHOLIC!

Here’s my story

Here’s my project

Come on in, the water’s MORE than fine!
 
Ok, I feel like I could have written this same post. I keep praying and asking God to not be offended by my searching if the Catholic Church is not legitimate. I also ask Him to not be offended every time I go back into my Protestant church, while now looking at it all in a different {and skeptical} light. I feel like I’m doomed either way.

But, I keep reminding myself that God knows the deepest crevices and desires of my heart and that as long as I’m earnestly searching for MORE of Him and His Truth, that His mercy will cover me. I want to make sure that I’m seeking HIM and not just RELIGION.

I have now prayed for two years that if the Catholic or Orthodox church is not where He wants me to have a fuller, more complete relationship with Him, that He take away my desire to do any more research and to feel comfortable where I am currently at. THAT hasn’t happened yet, though…:hmmm:
God works in His own time. I know in my conversion process it took quite a while. But the waiting, longing, and searching were all worth it when it came time to convert and I was received into the Church at the Easter Vigil a few years ago.

I would suggest to both you and the OP to attend the classes of RCIA at your local parish. There is no committment to convert, but you can ask questions and learn more about the faith. More information certainly won’t hurt.
 
I was a Presbyterian who married a cradle Catholic in 1971. It took me until 2010 to convert to Catholicism.

I had many of the doubts that you have, but I’ll tell you this. I LOVE BEING CATHOLIC! I live in South Carolina where the VAST MAJORITY of people here are Protestant. and yet, I LOVE BEING CATHOLIC in the Bible Belt!

I’m the question everything skeptic (which is why it took me so long to convert) but when my last objection was overruled with logic, reason and full support of the scriptures I gladly signed up for RCIA and accepted conversion…

At least consider this: Find an RCIA class you can attend, go to all the sessions and THEN make a final decision. (You’ll be amazed at how welcoming Catholics are to shy strangers like me and you 😉 ) You don’t even have to tell your friends where you’re spending your Thursday nights (or whatever night/day they’re held on)

I went to the priest and asked if I could be confirmed in private so as not to make a big deal about it. He said we could do that but why not be confirmed at Easter Vigil in public and show your true faith? I’ve never looked back (except to evangelize) and oh, by the way, did I mentions I LOVE BEING A CATHOLIC!

Here’s my story

Here’s my project

Come on in, the water’s MORE than fine!
Welcome home 👍
 
I also identify with your post OP, it’s a real challenge, and I know no practising faithful Catholics in RL, and have the added complication of a disability which limits my travel options. I consider myself largely converted in my heart, but there is still a niggling fear of God’s judgements on me should I actually convert.

But if I’m truly honest, I think I fear the reactions of my protestant friends more than I fear God, and I think that’s the nub of it for me. I need to gird up my loins and press on towards attending mass and acting on what my heart believes about the eucharist. Hard though, the flesh is a pesky thing that keeps pinching me hard.

I come from a Reformed viewpoint where it was very important to be sound, and have all your ducks in a row theologically, and I find myself wanting to get to that point with the Catholic church and I think it’s probably not possible as the theology is vastly different to the sola scriptura model I have been taught
 
God works in His own time. I know in my conversion process it took quite a while. But the waiting, longing, and searching were all worth it when it came time to convert and I was received into the Church at the Easter Vigil a few years ago.

I would suggest to both you and the OP to attend the classes of RCIA at your local parish. There is no committment to convert, but you can ask questions and learn more about the faith. More information certainly won’t hurt.
Hey! We have the same birthday! Easter Vigil 2010!
 
The term “Fear Not” or “Do Not Be Afraid” appears in the Bible so many times for a reason.

Do not be afraid to step out of the boat. God is with you.
 
The term “Fear Not” or “Do Not Be Afraid” appears in the Bible so many times for a reason.

Do not be afraid to step out of the boat. God is with you.
He appears to be afraid of stepping into the barque of Peter. Which to me doesn’t seem reasonable, but I’m just thinking outloud.
 
I don’t have a real intention of converting yet.

But I think about the implications if I did.

How would my family react? Should I just keep it a secret from them?
Its very disconcerting and off putting.

Even going to a Catholic Church seems like a daunting task, maybe its because I am really shy person. It feels really nerve wracking to express my personal thoughts to compete strangers.
If you have somebody in your life whom you can talk speak to that person, yes you might be shy, but somebody might be there who has your back and supports you.
 
What if Catholicism is wrong and I go to hell.
One thing to keep in mind is that in the Catholic church, nobody says that Baptists are wrong and are going to hell. The Catholic faith is actually fully inclusive of your Baptist faith. You lose nothing. The Catholic faith is more universal and adds more things, but you do not need them all. There are different types of priests, Jesuits, Dominicans, etc. that all feature certain types of spirituality. Different but all Catholic.

We had a priest who was former Baptist. He described entering the Catholic church as being able to add more toppings to his dessert. The dessert he had before was good, just incomplete. You get more in the Catholic faith, but you lose nothing from your Protestant background. It is all included.
 
One thing to keep in mind is that in the Catholic church, nobody says that Baptists are wrong and are going to hell. The Catholic faith is actually fully inclusive of your Baptist faith. You lose nothing. The Catholic faith is more universal and adds more things, but you do not need them all.
FYI

The Catholic Church considers Protestantism, no matter the stripe, no matter the name, as one of [The Great Heresies (http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-great-heresies) in history.

If we used your statement above, to plug in some of the following ideas, would we be able to say the following without problems?
  • nobody would say any of the heresies on that list is wrong?.. that’s incorrect. The rebuttal to that would be why then are they labeled heresies?
  • Catholicism is fully inclusive in all those heresies?.. That’s incorrect.
  • Heretics lose nothing coming into the Catholic Church?.. That’s incorrect. Converts can’t remain in their heretrical beliefs
  • a convert doesn’t need all the teaching that the Catholic Church provides? …Really? That’s not what the Church teaches.
Consider the following

scripture (not me) says the following about people who are heretics, and have been warned to correct their beliefs, and don’t?

[Titus 3:10 (Titus 3:10 RSVCE - As for a man who is factious, after - Bible Gateway)
“As for a man who is factious ( [αἱρετικὸν (http://bibleapps.com/greek/141.htm) heretic ), after admonishing him once or twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is perverted and sinful; he is self-condemned.”

As Catholics, out of charity towards God and neighbor, have a responsibility to correct those we see in error and do it with charity. To leave them alone in their error, is NOT charitable and actually can become a sin of omission…

So I would ask, what does one do today with that passage from Paul given that Paul’s warning and consequence he mentions doesn’t have a time limit on it ?.
 
If you have somebody in your life whom you can talk speak to that person, yes you might be shy, but somebody might be there who has your back and supports you.
Is that likely? I am nervous that people might think I am strange wanting to be Catholic.
 
What do I do… I want to convert but what if Its wrong? Is there any absolute proof that the Catholic church is the one true church?
As the Westminster Confession says, Christ established a government in the hands of Church officers… and that Church and government still exists today. All one need do is determine which one has existed since the time of the Apostles and join it, resting in the confidence that Jesus promised to keep it from straying into false doctrine. Christ’s Church is His Bride, and what groom will fail to protect his beloved?
  1. The church is a divinely established institution: the Bride and Body of Christ. ( Eph. 1:22-23; Song of Songs; Isaiah 62; Jeremiah 2:1-3; Jeremiah 3:1-5, 3:19-20, 5:7)
  2. The church is the foundation and pillar of truth. (1 Tim. 3:15)
  3. The Church is forever visible, not hidden. (John 1:3-5; Matt. 5:14-15; Luke 8:16,11:33)
  4. The Church will proclaim the true gospel continuously, forever. (Isaiah 59:21; Matt. 16:18b; Matt. 28:20b; 1 Pet 1:25)
  5. The Church is built on the foundation of the Apostles.( Ephesians 2:17-22; Ephesians 3:4-5)
  6. Jesus will always be with the Apostles, and they will never teach erroneous doctrine. (John 14:16-17; 15:26; 16:12-13, 17:17-19.)
  7. The Apostles speak with the authority of God. (Matthew 10:20, Luke 10:16)
  8. The Apostles will remember everything Jesus taught them. (John 14:16-18, 26, Luke 21:33)
  9. The Apostles will be one in the doctrine they teach. (John 17:20-23)
  10. The Apostles have to power to forgive sin. (John 20:21-23)
  11. God will give the Apostles whatever they ask for in Christ’s name, and the fruit they bear will remain. (John 15:16, 16:23; Romans 1:13)
  12. St. Peter has a preeminent place among the Apostles. (Matthew 16:17-19; Isaiah 22:20-25)
  13. The Apostles, and not the believers at large, had the authority to interpret Scripture and teach binding doctrine. (Rom 13:1-2; Heb. 13:17; 1 Tim 1:3; 2 Pet. 1:16–21, 3:2, 3:16; Jude 8, 10-11 (ref. Numbers 16))
  14. The Magesterium (the teaching authority of Christ’s Church) exercised that authority to make binding decisions on matters of faith. (Acts 15)
  15. The teaching authority that Jesus gave to the Apostles extended to the Apostles’ successors. (Acts 1:20,26; 2 Tim 2:2; 1 Cor 3:9-11)
  16. The early Church believed in the succession of Magesterial authority. (Clement of Rome, Ignatius of Antioch, Cyprian of Carthage)
The overwhelming evidence from Sacred Scripture and from extra-biblical historical documentation is that Jesus founded a Church with a visible, hierarchical and infallible teaching authority vested in the successor to St. Peter and the Bishops in union with him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top