I am so conflicted

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gregorian12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did that interest start?

****Some of my friends were telling me about some of their Catholic friends’ “strange beliefs.” That’s what prompted me to study Catholicism, to see all of the ridiculous holes and contradictions in their theology. Of course, what I found out is not what I expected. ****

The dilema is, they contradict eachother…which of course takes more than a statement but an explanation

Naturally, it’s hard to shake the beliefs and prejudices you’ve held since childhood. That coupled with the tense situation a conversion would create makes it a difficult decision. I would say that’s why I’m torn.

How did you as a Baptist even want to learn about the Catholic sacraments?

Again, I learned about them at first with no intention of finding truth, merely as a curiosity. That has since changed. I went to the church’s open house to find out more. It was actually the first time I have ever been in a Catholic church. To be honest, getting close to the alter actually felt like a homecoming. I can’t explain it.

If your mom is open to discussion, discuss this with her. #34 See where it goes. All those internal links are functional. If any don’t work for you let me know.

Blessings
 
Hello,

I’ll make this as brief as possible. I am a young Baptist and my church just voted to allow me to attend Bible college in order to become a Southern Baptist minister. They are a genuine and holy congregation and have been very supportive of my call to ministry.

A while ago, I became very interested in becoming Catholic, but finally put those convictions to rest. However, I now find myself once again being drawn to the Roman Catholic Church. I think my dilemma is clear. I feel like I’m being pulled in two different directions. Part of me yearns to receive the sacraments and join the Church while part of me wants to hold on to my Protestant theology. A visit to the open house at the new Catholic church that was just built in walking distance from my house made me even more interested in Catholicism, partly because a sweet lady there thought like I acted like I wanted to join the Church.

I am in desperate need of some counsel. Is it unethical to attend a Baptist college while feeling this way? Am I endangering my salvation by not converting if I feel I should? I fear how my conversion would affect my life plans and relationships. I’m in an evangelical choir and drama team and my mother is very anti-Catholic. Do any of you have any advice or encouraging words? I’d very much appreciate it. God bless you all.
I recommend that you get in touch with the Coming Home Network chnetwork.org/ . I feel certain that they can/will help you. I believe I heard the person who runs it say that they never pressure anyone. They are there to help.

Annie
 
I understand that is what the RCC believes. However, I don’t. This is one of the reason why I am not Catholic. I do believe that I partake in the most precious body and blood of our savior Jesus Christ and that my baptism at birth was valid. I very much respect the RCC and have thought about joining for a while but there are some things that I cannot accept. So it’s ok, you haven’t disappointed me one bit.
Well, you don’t have the true sacraments. May I ask what it is that you cannot accept. Several people whom I know in real life cannot accept that they are not able to practice birth control.

Annie
 
I can understand feeling conflicted! My prayers are with you.

I don’t know that I have much useful advice as this falls outside of my realm of experience. But you might consider contacting the Coming Home Network. That organization exists precisely to help people in your situation and it is filled with lots of great people who have gone through things similar to what you are going through. I would encourage you to reach out and get some feedback from them.

I will say a prayer for you! God bless!
🙂 Well Joe you beat me to it. I didn’t read this before I posted my message.

Annie
 
I would suggest you talk to a priest soon before you make any final decisions. And I would also recommend reading a book by Patrick Madrid titled’ Surprised by Truth." The coming home network would also be a big help. You are torn between 2 paths. They can’'t both be right, at least not completely. One has to be the One, Holy, Catholic, (universal) and Apostolic Church founded by Jesus Christ over 2,000 years ago. Don’t walk away from the Catholic Church you are being called to until you get to know her truthfully. Most converts have problems with family and friends but that is to be expected considering all the false things most protestants believe about the Catholic Church, that are NOT true. Learn for yourself. Don’t listen to the Churches ‘enemies’ about what she teaches. Prayers for you and your ‘journey’. God Bless, Memaw
I second this post!

With prayer all things are possible. Remember Jesus said He came to bring a sword, not peace. (This was in regard to the disagreement of family and friends about your choice to follow Him in all truth.)
 
Well, you don’t have the true sacraments. May I ask what it is that you cannot accept. Several people whom I know in real life cannot accept that they are not able to practice birth control.

Annie
While I am not against birth-control, that would not be the biggest issue. I am 24 and unmarried so birth-control is not very applicable to me. By the time I am married I will probably be ready for kids as well.

The biggest problems I have are theological not social issues. The RCC teaches that every dogmatic pronunciation is necessary for salvation. I do not believe that Mary being sinless till she passed or was assumed into heaven is necessary for me to be saved. Nor do I believe that it is necessary to believe that she is co-mediatrix or co-remedrix to be saved. I am also iffy on papal infallibility and papal supremacy. I think if you look through history the doctrines of the RCC have very much evolved to become what they are today. These are just a few.

With all that being said, I very respect the RCC, and I am still reading and praying about it. Thanks
 
I understand that is what the RCC believes. However, I don’t. This is one of the reason why I am not Catholic. I do believe that I partake in the most precious body and blood of our savior Jesus Christ and that my baptism at birth was valid. I very much respect the RCC and have thought about joining for a while but there are some things that I cannot accept. So it’s ok, you haven’t disappointed me one bit.
Your Baptism would be valid but as for partaking in the most precious Body and Blood of Our Lord, well that is a very different story. The truth is the truth even if one does not want to believe it. Has there ever been a authentic Eucharistic Miracle as a result of your communion service? Maybe you gave up on the Catholic Church before you understood the truth about it, and it’s history. God Bless, Memaw
 
Your Baptism would be valid but as for partaking in the most precious Body and Blood of Our Lord, well that is a very different story. The truth is the truth even if one does not want to believe it. Has there ever been a authentic Eucharistic Miracle as a result of your communion service? Maybe you gave up on the Catholic Church before you understood the truth about it, and it’s history. God Bless, Memaw
How do you know your miracles are real?
 
How do you know your miracles are real?
Read up on them, you’ll see. They have been carefully checked by the Church. Better yet go to Italy and see the “Miracle of Lanciano”, for yourself. It happened in the year 700. God Bless, Memaw
 
No, I have never been to an adoration chapel unfortunately. As to my mother, one of the reasons that she’s so anti-catholic is because she thinks Catholics worship Mary and believe that Jesus needs her help to save us.
WRT to scholarship/tuition fund, I would suggest telling the Baptist group which offered it to you that you are so happy and honored that they chose you, but right now you are not ready to make a commitment to that line of work. Your first post express sufficient doubt that it seems like a bad idea to take the money.

Then you will be free to do whatever you want: go to a 4-year college, or a community college, or work; and you will have the rest of your time free to explore the Catholic Church’s teachings.
 
Again, I learned about them at first with no intention of finding truth, merely as a curiosity. That has since changed. I went to the church’s open house to find out more. It was actually the first time I have ever been in a Catholic church. To be honest, getting close to the alter actually felt like a homecoming. I can’t explain it.
Gregorian, the more you type, the more it really does sound like the God is calling you back home to his Church.

All the books people recommended would be wonderful. And given that you where being discussed to join a seminary in the Baptism Church, you might want to listen to Dr Scott Hahn, he has several talks on youtube on different subjects. If you have questions about some of the theology.

Also, given this statement, I think you would get a whole lot out of finding a church that has Eucharistic adoration, and going and spending some time in front of the Eucharist in prayer.
 
How did that interest start?

The dilema is, they contradict eachother…which of course takes more than a statement but an explanation

How did you as a Baptist even want to learn about the Catholic sacraments?

If your mom is open to discussion, discuss this with her. #34 See where it goes. All those internal links are functional. If any don’t work for you let me know.

Blessings
Gregorian, the more you type, the more it really does sound like the God is calling you back home to his Church.

All the books people recommended would be wonderful. And given that you where being discussed to join a seminary in the Baptism Church, you might want to listen to Dr Scott Hahn, he has several talks on youtube on different subjects. If you have questions about some of the theology.

Also, given this statement, I think you would get a whole lot out of finding a church that has Eucharistic adoration, and going and spending some time in front of the Eucharist in prayer.
I think you are right. And it’s funny you mention Dr. Hahn, because I’m listening to him as I type this. 🙂
 
No, I have never been to an adoration chapel unfortunately. As to my mother, one of the reasons that she’s so anti-catholic is because she thinks Catholics worship Mary and believe that Jesus needs her help to save us.
Ah yes, a very common objection to Catholicism. Of course I would object to Catholicism too, if it taught such a thing.

As an aside, if you do happen to begin discussing Mary with your mother, it might help to explore how the Ark of the Covenant is a foreshadowing of Mary, and how Mary is the fulfllment as she is the Ark of the New Covenant. Spend some time discussing how the Ark held the stones of the 10 Commandments (the word of God), the manna from Heaven (bread of life), and Aaron’s priestly staff (the high priest). The you can transition to how Mary held in her womb the WORD of God, the BREAD of life, and the HIGH PRIEST.

Also discuss how the Ark was given high honor, that people bowed before it, prayed before it, and God’s presence overshadowed it. The same is true of Mary.

Usually, for Baptists and other Protestants, in discussing Mary, they start to understand the Catholic honor given to Mary better by understanding the honor given the Ark better.
 
I think you are right. And it’s funny you mention Dr. Hahn, because I’m listening to him as I type this. 🙂
Their is also an Ignatius Press Lighthouse Catholic Media app (atleast on Apple, not sure of other phones, but I would bet that there are). Where Dr Scott Hahn has a GREAT 6 part study of the book of John. As well as St Paul and how his writings are very Catholic. As well as one on where the Priesthood is in the Bible…

All of these talks are free… There are also a few that go for about $2 - $3…
 
Hello,

I’ll make this as brief as possible. I am a young Baptist and my church just voted to allow me to attend Bible college in order to become a Southern Baptist minister. They are a genuine and holy congregation and have been very supportive of my call to ministry.

A while ago, I became very interested in becoming Catholic, but finally put those convictions to rest. However, I now find myself once again being drawn to the Roman Catholic Church. I think my dilemma is clear. I feel like I’m being pulled in two different directions. Part of me yearns to receive the sacraments and join the Church while part of me wants to hold on to my Protestant theology. A visit to the open house at the new Catholic church that was just built in walking distance from my house made me even more interested in Catholicism, partly because a sweet lady there thought like I acted like I wanted to join the Church.

I am in desperate need of some counsel. Is it unethical to attend a Baptist college while feeling this way? Am I endangering my salvation by not converting if I feel I should? I fear how my conversion would affect my life plans and relationships. I’m in an evangelical choir and drama team and my mother is very anti-Catholic. Do any of you have any advice or encouraging words? I’d very much appreciate it. God bless you all.
I had a similar dilemma. I am a cradle Catholic who was very disgustes with the post Vatican 2 Church. I wandered away, spending some time in Baptist, Assembly of God and a few others until I landed firmly in a United Methodist community where I stayed for 6 years. They also supported a call for me to enter ministry, and offered to pay my way to seminary. I had the same ambivalence you do, but I went anyway. Throughout the course of my studies, I ended up becoming more Catholic than I every was. I had to pay back some of the scholarship money because I was unable to continue with the United Methodists, but I have no regrets for my years in seminary as I learned a great deal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top