I
InSearchofGrace
Guest
Sean,
It does not matter where you were in the beginning or the middle. What matters is where you end. So, put that foot in front of the other. You have received many wonderful responses to this thread you opened, none the least is that God’s mercy is always bigger than whatever sin(s) you have committed.
Like you, like many others who posted, I was in spiritual and moral poverty for so long that I found little joy in having my wonderful family around and the pleasure that the material world offered. St. Augustine had it right, our souls are restless until they find rest in God. His story is not far from that of St. Paul before him, that of Father Corapi in our present day, and that by each of us here in some degree, who at last wish to turn (back) to something true, good and beautiful.
We need the Eucharist, Sean. I know what you are saying about feeling not worthy, even after confession. I think it’s because even if we are contrite and ask for forgiveness, we are unsure if our contrition and penance are enough. How can it be? We are unable to shake the memory of our sins. It’s still hard for me. I realize I offended our almighty God and myself.
The parts of the Mass that are truly touching for me are when the celebrant raises the consecrated bread and wine and in the communion rite where he says “This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world” and where we respond “Lord, I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the word and I shall be healed.”
Welcome to the forum, Sean. And welcome back to our beautiful faith.
,
It does not matter where you were in the beginning or the middle. What matters is where you end. So, put that foot in front of the other. You have received many wonderful responses to this thread you opened, none the least is that God’s mercy is always bigger than whatever sin(s) you have committed.
Like you, like many others who posted, I was in spiritual and moral poverty for so long that I found little joy in having my wonderful family around and the pleasure that the material world offered. St. Augustine had it right, our souls are restless until they find rest in God. His story is not far from that of St. Paul before him, that of Father Corapi in our present day, and that by each of us here in some degree, who at last wish to turn (back) to something true, good and beautiful.
We need the Eucharist, Sean. I know what you are saying about feeling not worthy, even after confession. I think it’s because even if we are contrite and ask for forgiveness, we are unsure if our contrition and penance are enough. How can it be? We are unable to shake the memory of our sins. It’s still hard for me. I realize I offended our almighty God and myself.
The parts of the Mass that are truly touching for me are when the celebrant raises the consecrated bread and wine and in the communion rite where he says “This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world” and where we respond “Lord, I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the word and I shall be healed.”
Welcome to the forum, Sean. And welcome back to our beautiful faith.
,