I cheated on a test

• Thread starter Thread starter RomanRyan1088
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
mhansen:
A list? Do you really think God keeps a list? This is the first step on the road of scrupulousity. It really makes Confession a new, but legalistic form of the OT sacrificial atonement for sins, and frankly, I don’t think it makes for a spiritually healthy individual.
First step to scrupulosusity? Hardley, actually my little list is what helped me in getting over being slightly scrupulous. I think it helps those of us who get very caught up and slightly nervous in the confessional have a little bit of peace and security by helping us to focus on our sins and repentance rather than our impromptu speaking ability.

If your nervous sometimes its A LOT easier just to know you read what’s on the paper rather than risk rambeling on and on all the while not saying much (which can happen if you have several things to confess or you are just returning to confession.)

For a person like me writing a list forces me to not take the Sacrament lightly… some people may be able to go into church and do a 30 second internal examination of conscience and know exactly what they are going to confess-I am not so blessed, if I were to do that I know I’d end up leaving out important things I should be confessing. Are those forgotten sins forgiven-of course they are; however, habbitually forgetting sins in the confessional and not doing anything to correct that for the next time (I think) shows a disrespect for the Sacrament of Penance…ergo, my list.

Does this mean a list is for everyone? No. But if you’re having problems give it a try.

God Bless,

40.png
RomanRyan1088:
I cheated on my math exam on friday. I feel kinda bad about it now, I was going to confess it today, but it totally slipped my mind, Honestly! Please don’t tell me that this keeps me from recieving communion at church tommarow, please.
Dearest Ryan

If you honestly forgot to mention this sin, then dear friend, you at the end of your confession are absolved of all of your life’s sins, your soul shines like the sun and you are a saint at that very moment of absolution!

Don’t fret or worry, trust in God’s forgiveness, you are sorrowful are you not of this sin? You made a good confession as best as you were able at the time and you spoke to Jesus in love?

God desires peace of your soul and union with you and desires you love Him and seek union with Him. You sought it and forgot a sin, well dear friend, in the confessional when you have confessed all that you remember at that time, you are then absolved of all those sins you confessed as well as all of the sins of your life, you receive graces not to repeat those sins which includes not cheating in your next maths exam!!!🙂

Your Priest has given you Jesus’ absolution. You are free from all of those sins you committed until your next confession.As long as you did not deliberately withold a sin, which you did not, you forgot to mention it, this sin is absolved.

Trust in God’s mercy

God love you

God Bless you and much love and PEACE to you always

Teresa

40.png
bones_IV:
Dissertation is a mortal sin and so is plagerism.
Plagiarism is misspelled, but that’s only a venial sin. But what does “dissertation” mean in this context?

40.png
Sanctus:
Does this mean a list is for everyone? No. But if you’re having problems give it a try.
And wow, how nice it must be to watch it go up in flames.

Are you going to confess to your teacher and take the consequences?

40.png
SweetPea:
Are you going to confess to your teacher and take the consequences?
Truly, it is too late, my grade is already said and done, and what was funny, i cheated on the test, and still got a 75.

40.png
RomanRyan1088:
Truly, it is too late, my grade is already said and done, and what was funny, i cheated on the test, and still got a 75.
I think it should still be confessed to your teacher, it’s not too late if she’s still breathing. Despite the fact you’ve got a low grade and it’s ‘already said and done’, you’ve yet to go to her and admit that you did, indeed, cheat.

Can someone show me where they get the idea that cheating is only a venial sin?

Cheating is lieing and in a way stealing as education is being paid for and by cheating you are getting a grade you did not pay for.

Stealing is a sin against the 7th commandment and that would be a grave matter.

Here is what the Catechism says about lieing.

2483 Lying is the most direct offense against the truth. To lie is to speak or act against the truth in order to lead someone into error. By injuring man’s relation to truth and to his neighbor, a lie offends against the fundamental relation of man and of his word to the Lord.

2484 The gravity of a lie is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.

2485 By its very nature, lying is to be condemned. It is a profanation of speech, whereas the purpose of speech is to communicate known truth to others. The deliberate intention of leading a neighbor into error by saying things contrary to the truth constitutes a failure in justice and charity. The culpability is greater when the intention of deceiving entails the risk of deadly consequences for those who are led astray.

2486 Since it violates the virtue of truthfulness, a lie does real violence to another. It affects his ability to know, which is a condition of every judgment and decision. It contains the seed of discord and all consequent evils. Lying is destructive of society; it undermines trust among men and tears apart the fabric of social relationships.

2487 Every offense committed against justice and truth entails the duty of reparation, even if its author has been forgiven. When it is impossible publicly to make reparation for a wrong, it must be made secretly. If someone who has suffered harm cannot be directly compensated, he must be given moral satisfaction in the name of charity. This duty of reparation also concerns offenses against another’s reputation. This reparation, moral and sometimes material, must be evaluated in terms of the extent of the damage inflicted. It obliges in conscience.

As you can see by paragraph 2487, even when forgiven, you still have the duty of reparation. That is for all lies you still have a duty to go to the individual you lied to and tell them the truth.

I wonder how many go to confession and confess a lie but then fail to fulfill the duty of reparation.

oh what a tangled web we weave, when …

i wish you peace… sounds to me like your doing penance now… 😦

confess, make a firm committment to do better, and good luck on the next exam… 👍

40.png
ByzCath:
Can someone show me where they get the idea that cheating is only a venial sin?

Cheating is lieing and in a way stealing as education is being paid for and by cheating you are getting a grade you did not pay for.

Stealing is a sin against the 7th commandment and that would be a grave matter.

Here is what the Catechism says about lieing.

2483 Lying is the most direct offense against the truth. To lie is to speak or act against the truth in order to lead someone into error. By injuring man’s relation to truth and to his neighbor, a lie offends against the fundamental relation of man and of his word to the Lord.

2484 The gravity of a lie is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.

2485 By its very nature, lying is to be condemned. It is a profanation of speech, whereas the purpose of speech is to communicate known truth to others. The deliberate intention of leading a neighbor into error by saying things contrary to the truth constitutes a failure in justice and charity. The culpability is greater when the intention of deceiving entails the risk of deadly consequences for those who are led astray.

2486 Since it violates the virtue of truthfulness, a lie does real violence to another. It affects his ability to know, which is a condition of every judgment and decision. It contains the seed of discord and all consequent evils. Lying is destructive of society; it undermines trust among men and tears apart the fabric of social relationships.

2487 Every offense committed against justice and truth entails the duty of reparation, even if its author has been forgiven. When it is impossible publicly to make reparation for a wrong, it must be made secretly. If someone who has suffered harm cannot be directly compensated, he must be given moral satisfaction in the name of charity. This duty of reparation also concerns offenses against another’s reputation. This reparation, moral and sometimes material, must be evaluated in terms of the extent of the damage inflicted. It obliges in conscience.

As you can see by paragraph 2487, even when forgiven, you still have the duty of reparation. That is for all lies you still have a duty to go to the individual you lied to and tell them the truth.

I wonder how many go to confession and confess a lie but then fail to fulfill the duty of reparation.
Dear friend

I agree to some extent with the position you pose here. A lie that is to the detriment of a soul should not perpetuate and once penitent a person should then endeavour to tell the person they lied to, the truth, however, in the case of a lie like the following…

A woman wears a bad dress it’s the worst dress you ever saw, but this woman loves the dress twirls about infront of you and says ‘how do you like my dress?’ you are aware her taste is different from your own, you are also aware that if you tell her what you truly think, she will be gravely hurt by your reply, so you say ‘that’s a fine dress, it’s interesting, I never saw one like it before, fantastic!’ You know you have lied, but dear friend, you do not tell her once you have confessed this small lie…‘your dress in my opinion is hideous, you look awful in it and if I was you I’d go right home throw it away and change into something else immediately!’

There are some situations that call for a lie…my brother bought me a present, it was deeply offensive to my faith, I disliked it and I was hurt he thought I would even like it or find it amusing. I know my brother and his heart. I know he would not like to offend me nor would he for one minute even try to deliberately hurt me, he is the most gentle and loving kind hearted man I know. So I graciously said thank you for the gift and smiled. When he left I threw it away and that is the end of it. I lied, he is happy, I am not causing a greater problem and end result…peace.

You see the journey in faith is long and we are sinners, we forgive and we love and we know that all are journeying back to their Creator in this life. Yes we fall, yes we are sorry, yes we will be held accountable, but the axe is not ours to grind, only God knows the heart and the axe is His

God Bless you and much love and peace to you and those you love

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back