I dare you...

  • Thread starter Thread starter ljubim
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

ljubim

Guest
Try receiving the Eucharist kneeling. You will NOT be dissapointed!

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

I’ve just started, and I will never go back!

Please, for me, pray about it and see if this is what God wants you to do. (and if you’re nervous, offer it as penance; the more nervous you are the better a sacrifice it is! :))
 
I receive communion standing or kneeling, depending upon which parish I attend.

Growing up as a non-Catholic, Episcopalian, I received kneeling every Sunday (yes, it was not the Eucharist but I was unaware of that at the time). It was only when I became a Catholic that I began receiving standing as that is the norm in most parishes in the US including the one I regularly attend. I also receive kneeling whenever I attend one of several Catholic churches in my area that distribute communion kneeling at the rail (yes they still have those in some Catholic churches).

And, it doesn’t make one bit of difference to me.

It doesn’t change things objectively or subjectively. I have no emotional attachment to kneeling nor any opposition to standing.

I don’t *feel *more or less reverent nor am I *actually *more or less reverent based on the posture I use when receiving the Eucharist.

I think you are basing things on emotion rather than reality. Both are *approved *postures. If the Church changes the rubrics and allows only one or the other, fine, I will do it whichever way the Bishops establish as the norm or requirement.
 
I receive communion standing or kneeling, depending upon which parish I attend.

Growing up as a non-Catholic, Episcopalian, I received kneeling every Sunday (yes, it was not the Eucharist but I was unaware of that at the time). It was only when I became a Catholic that I began receiving standing as that is the norm in most parishes in the US including the one I regularly attend. I also receive kneeling whenever I attend one of several Catholic churches in my area that distribute communion kneeling at the rail (yes they still have those in some Catholic churches).

And, it doesn’t make one bit of difference to me.

It doesn’t change things objectively or subjectively. I have no emotional attachment to kneeling nor any opposition to standing.

I don’t *feel *more or less reverent nor am I *actually *more or less reverent based on the posture I use when receiving the Eucharist.

I think you are basing things on emotion rather than reality. Both are *approved *postures. If the Church changes the rubrics and allows only one or the other, fine, I will do it whichever way the Bishops establish as the norm or requirement.
👍
 
I receive communion standing or kneeling, depending upon which parish I attend.

Growing up as a non-Catholic, Episcopalian, I received kneeling every Sunday (yes, it was not the Eucharist but I was unaware of that at the time). It was only when I became a Catholic that I began receiving standing as that is the norm in most parishes in the US including the one I regularly attend. I also receive kneeling whenever I attend one of several Catholic churches in my area that distribute communion kneeling at the rail (yes they still have those in some Catholic churches).

And, it doesn’t make one bit of difference to me.

It doesn’t change things objectively or subjectively. I have no emotional attachment to kneeling nor any opposition to standing.

I don’t *feel *more or less reverent nor am I *actually *more or less reverent based on the posture I use when receiving the Eucharist.

I think you are basing things on emotion rather than reality. Both are *approved *postures. If the Church changes the rubrics and allows only one or the other, fine, I will do it whichever way the Bishops establish as the norm or requirement.
First of all, the norm is to receive communion on the knees.

And emotion (love) is what brings us to follow in Our Lord’s footsteps. Please take a look at your crucifix. This was the greatest show of emotion in all history.

“Love takes up where knowledge leaves off.” -Thomas Aquinas

This is what God wanted me to try, and I thought He was crazy. Now that I’ve done it, I’m so joyful that I’d like to share this with everybody.

Again, please just try it.
 
Once I join the Church, I would like to try this. I’ve never seen anyone else receive it this way; but then again, I’ve usually got my head bowed in prayer during Communion, rather than watching everyone else.

But it will depend on my knee; I’m currently being treated for arthritis, and I can only kneel before entering the pew because I can hold the end of the pew for support to get back up. If this treatment works, I should be kneeling with no problem by spring. If not, then I’ll have to have surgery, and I won’t be kneeling for awhile. 😦

Miz
 
I’ve received kneeling and it’s more reverent and less rushed than standing. Plus, it sets a good example to other people. Although when it comes to hand vs. tongue (I’ve done both), I prefer hand as that allows me to kiss Him as I put Him in my mouth. It’s more intimate than on the tongue, but to be fair, on the tongue is more reverent than just putting Him in your mouth from your hand with no kiss.
 
Try receiving the Eucharist kneeling. You will NOT be dissapointed!

)
I fully intend to as soon as they restore the communion rails for that purpose, and return to ordained ministers who are properly trained to communicate. Until then I see no purpose in getting myself in a position where 3 altar boys would be needed to get me standing again.
 
I had always received kneeling. Now because of rheumatoid arthritis I can no longer kneel. I wish and pray that I could, for to me kneeling is one of the ways that I can show respect and love for Our Lord. The other way is by receiving His Body and Blood on my tongue and not in my hands.

PAX DOMINI :signofcross:

Shalom Aleichem
 
Ok, I’ll give it a shot at mass tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Please do let me know 🙂
Once I join the Church, I would like to try this. I’ve never seen anyone else receive it this way; but then again, I’ve usually got my head bowed in prayer during Communion, rather than watching everyone else.

But it will depend on my knee; I’m currently being treated for arthritis, and I can only kneel before entering the pew because I can hold the end of the pew for support to get back up. If this treatment works, I should be kneeling with no problem by spring. If not, then I’ll have to have surgery, and I won’t be kneeling for awhile. 😦

Miz
Praying for your treatment to work! Maybe you should just stay in the front pew and have the priest come to you, this is what my grandparents do when they are able to make it to mass (grandma has arthritis too :()
Good for you for not watching everybody else! 😃 That same thought calmed my nerves this morning, that I probably shouldn’t care what they think.
 
I fully intend to as soon as they restore the communion rails for that purpose, and return to ordained ministers who are properly trained to communicate. Until then I see no purpose in getting myself in a position where 3 altar boys would be needed to get me standing again.
😃 That’s a funny way to put it!

I think of it as, I’m young, and perfectly able to kneel. So… why not is the question?

A picture I just found that I like: (I think the visuals help get us thinking. I began praying about this after I saw a mass on EWTN where people did so.)

God bless guys!
 
First of all, the norm is to receive communion on the knees.
I think receiving on the knees is more reverent, but it is NOT norm in the USA (perhaps you are in a different country, so I’m just clarifying). The Vatican letter below states that (my emphasis added). That said, the purpose of the letter is to state that those who wish to receive while kneeling cannot be denied that.

It doesn’t affect what we’re saying on this thread, but I just wanted to clarify the “norm.”
Prot. n. 47 / 03 / L
Rome, 26 February 2003
Dear [name deleted],
This Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has received through official channels your letter dated 1 December 2002, related to the application of the norms approved by the Conference of Bishops of the United States of America, with the subsequent recognitio of this Congregation, as regards the question of the posture for receiving Holy Communion.
As the authority by virtue of whose recognitio the norm in question has attained the force of law, this Dicastery is competent to specify the manner in which the norm is to be understood for the sake of a proper application. Having received more than a few letters regarding this matter from different locations in the United States of America, the Congregation wishes to ensure that its position on the matter is clear.
To this end, it is perhaps useful to respond to your inquiry by repeating the content of a letter that the Congregation recently addressed to a Bishop in the United States of America from whose Diocese a number of pertinent letters had been received. The letter states: “… while this Congregation gave the recognitio to the norm desired by the Bishops’ Conference of your country that people stand for Holy Communion, this was done on the condition that communicants who choose to kneel are not to be denied Holy Communion on these grounds. Indeed, the faithful should not be imposed upon nor accused of disobedience and of acting illicitly when they kneel to receive Holy Communion”.
This Dicastery hopes that the citation given here will provide an adequate answer to your letter. At the same time, please be assured that the Congregation remains ready to be of assistance if you should need to contact it again.
With every prayerful good wish, I am
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Mons. Mario Marini
Undersecretary
 
I think receiving on the knees is more reverent, but it is NOT norm in the USA (perhaps you are in a different country, so I’m just clarifying). The Vatican letter below states that (my emphasis added). That said, the purpose of the letter is to state that those who wish to receive while kneeling cannot be denied that.

It doesn’t affect what we’re saying on this thread, but I just wanted to clarify the “norm.”
I like to kneel, IF there is a communion rail with which to propel me back up to cruising altitude 😃

I’m 51 with a bad back.

Oddly I can ride my bike for 80 miles at a shot without too many problems. In fact it really helps limber up the back. But transitions for kneeling to standing, or bending over and crouching, are murder. Getting on and off the bike can be hellish too but once on, I’m OK.
 
I love receiving the Eucharist kneeling. 🙂 It’s the most beautiful thing. I do not understand fully the beauty of the Blessed Sacrament. At the very least I can kneel to show Jesus I am a lowly servant. That’s my perspective.

God love you for it. ^^
 
I love to receive kneeling - when our parish uses the rail at daily Mass and every other Sunday. The rest of the time, or when I visit another parish, I wouldn’t dream of inconveniencing the people behind me or making a spectacle of myself because of my preference to kneel.

Following the Lord’s advice to keep one’s prayers, fasting and almsgiving secret, I keep my desire to kneel between myself and Him. Another thing that’s important to me is that God’s will for us is revealed in the present moment. If I am in a place where it is not customary to kneel, I take that as God’s will for me at the time and mortify my desire to receive kneeling. The times when I can receive kneeling are even more precious as a result.

Betsy
 
I love to receive kneeling - when our parish uses the rail at daily Mass and every other Sunday. The rest of the time, or when I visit another parish, I wouldn’t dream of inconveniencing the people behind me or making a spectacle of myself because of my preference to kneel.

Following the Lord’s advice to keep one’s prayers, fasting and almsgiving secret, I keep my desire to kneel between myself and Him. Another thing that’s important to me is that God’s will for us is revealed in the present moment. If I am in a place where it is not customary to kneel, I take that as God’s will for me at the time and mortify my desire to receive kneeling. The times when I can receive kneeling are even more precious as a result.

Betsy
I like your point about prayers etc. being kept secret. Sometimes, with some folks, I get the impression it’s “look at me, I’m holy”. I’ve been to an Evangelical service where at the Our Father, folks were gyrating and waving their arms in the air.

It made me feel very uncomfortable.
 
I like your point about prayers etc. being kept secret. Sometimes, with some folks, I get the impression it’s “look at me, I’m holy”. I’ve been to an Evangelical service where at the Our Father, folks were gyrating and waving their arms in the air.

It made me feel very uncomfortable.
I also feel this way when someone makes a show about their genuflections, kneelings, raising hands, etc. I try not to look around, notice or watch other people during Mass, but sometimes you just can’t avoid it. And usually you can tell the difference between someone who is unconsiously deeply into their prayer and someone who is showly advertising their ‘holiness’. It seems best to me to reserve the more personal acts of devotion for times of personal prayer and when at the church’s corporate prayer (Mass) to follow the norms of that parish.
 
First of all, the norm is to receive communion on the knees.
It is the norm in the US, which is where I live, to receive standing. Norm is standing right now. That doesn’t mean it will always be so, or that it cannot change.

The new edition of the General Instruction asks the Conference of Bishops in each country to determine the posture to be used for the reception of Communion and the act of reverence to be made by each person as he or she receives Communion. The Conference of Bishops of the United States has determined that in this country Communion will be received standing and that a bow will be the act of reverence made by those receiving. These norms may require some adjustment on the part of those who have been used to other practices, however the significance of unity in posture and gesture as a symbol of our unity as members of the one body of Christ should be the governing factor in our own actions.
And emotion (love) is what brings us to follow in Our Lord’s footsteps. Please take a look at your crucifix. This was the greatest show of emotion in all history.

“Love takes up where knowledge leaves off.” -Thomas Aquinas
I did not say otherwise.
This is what God wanted me to try, and I thought He was crazy. Now that I’ve done it, I’m so joyful that I’d like to share this with everybody.
Share your experience, certainly. I was sharing mine.
Again, please just try it.
What part of, “I kneel at communion” in various parishes that retain the communion rail was unclear? I find there to be no difference, spiritually, emotionally, or reverentially.
 
Several years ago I had just about given up on kneeling for communion. Then one Sunday there was a 12 year old girl that knelt. I spoke with her after Mass and told her how much I admired her courage. She just smiled and said she didn’t really care what others thought but she was going to kneel to recieve the Lord. And so have I ever since.

Although I try to minimize attendence at the OF Mass, there are ocassions when I have no other choice, as was the case this morning. So I knelt.

I normally sit close to the front so I was able to observe many people kneeling. We have no communion rails so many elderly folks use the front of the first pew for a handle to lift themselves.

That young 12 year old is now crowding 16 and she still kneels.

God Bless her for her piety and strength.
 
\I’ve just started, and I will never go back!\

**It would be very difficult to receive both kinds from a spoon while kneeling in a Byzantine Church.

And in an Armenian Church, where the altar area is usually quite elevated so the priest has to bend down to give the Holy Gifts to standing communicants, it would be practically impossible.**
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top